dlandon

Libvirt Hot Plugin USB - USB Hot Plugin for VMs

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

This is a continuation of the plugin written by bshakil to hot plug USB devices in a VM.  It has been updated for Unraid 6.5 due to some file structure changes.  You will need to remove the previous plugin before installing this one.

Installing the plugin

You can install the plugin from Community Applications or by pasting the following link in the Install Plugin tab on the Unraid plugins page.

https://github.com/dlandon/libvirt.hotplug.usb/raw/master/libvirt.hotplug.usb.plg

USB hot plug is being incorporated into Unraid, so I'm not sure if this plugin will have much value past version 6.5.

Note: As of 6.6.x, hot plug functionality has not been incorporated into Unraid.

Edited by dlandon
Add note about still needing the plugin
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

does this work with all vm operating systems?

12 minutes ago, 1812 said:

does this work with all vm operating systems?

It should.

Thanks for updating this. I installed it yesterday and it works great.

It's always worked well for me.  Very simple, but effective.

Switched from USB passthrough to using this, as my coffee lake system basically has all the USB controllers as one and can't be split apart, and I can't be bothered right now to pick up an additional USB controller

But, question though.  Is it possible to have the "last state" of hot-plugged devices through this plugin carried over to the next reboot of unRaid without modifying the XML?

For me, this plugin does not work anymore from unRAID 6.5.0.

It no longer appears in the VMs page

2 minutes ago, NY152 said:

Are you sure you're using dlandon's and not bshakil's version?

6 minutes ago, NY152 said:

For me, this plugin does not work anymore from unRAID 6.5.0.

The dlandon version has a different icon.

libvirt.hotplug_usb.png.4cd3ce6e604ff73c1edfd613c6620969.png

This looks great - I wonder if it could be a but improved.

I am wanting to set up a virtual PC for my daughter on my server, running an HDMI and a USB to her room, where she'll have a monitor, and a powered USB hub to connect keyboard, mouse, headset, etc.  My hold-up is that m motherboard has a pretty poor IOMMU arrangement, so I cannot seem to successfully pass through a USB controller to the VM.  I can simply pass through the USB devices she needs (Keyboard, Mouse, Headset) via USB passthrough, but this doens't allow her to plug in thumbdrives or other devices into her USB hub.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to detect when new USB devices are plugged into unRAID, and if they are beneath a defined USB hub, they are auto-hotplugged to a specified virtual machine.

Was this functionality added to unraid? or do I still need to download this for the hot-add usb functionality?

42 minutes ago, jordanmw said:

Was this functionality added to unraid? or do I still need to download this for the hot-add usb functionality?

You still need it.