Libvirt Hot Plugin USB - USB Hot Plugin for VMs

7 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Sounds like an incompatibility with libvirt and BigSur.  Stop your VM, edit the VM xml and select that device at the bottom where the USB devices can be selected, then restart the VM.  See if it attaches then.

Yes. When i edit xml it working. But i have 3 and more VM started . Some times need attache mouse and keyboard

Edited by Exlife
3 minutes ago, dadark said:

To start the vm with the usb device is not the problem. But to attach it in running state.

Understood.  That's the information I needed.

That indicates that libvirt has an issue.  I'm not sure I will be able to do anything about that.  I don't have a BigSur VM so I can't do any testing.  I'll do a some research and see if there is a solution.

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, SimonF said:

Which usb controller type do you have defined on the VM

I have 2 unraid server. On intel and AMD.

intel:

[8086:8c31] 00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI (rev 05)

[8086:8c2d] 00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #2 (rev 05)

[8086:8c26] 00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #1 (rev 05)

AMD:

[1022:43d5] 02:00.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 400 Series Chipset USB 3.1 XHCI Controller (rev 01)

[1022:43c8] 02:00.1 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 400 Series Chipset SATA Controller (rev 01)

[1022:145f] 08:00.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Zeppelin USB 3.0 Host controller

Unraid 6.9.2 and 6.10.3 Noone does not  working with Bigsur

42 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Understood.  That's the information I needed.

That indicates that libvirt has an issue.  I'm not sure I will be able to do anything about that.  I don't have a BigSur VM so I can't do any testing.  I'll do a some research and see if there is a solution.

Whats MasOS you use ?

4 minutes ago, Exlife said:

I have 2 unraid server. On intel and AMD.

intel:

[8086:8c31] 00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI (rev 05)

[8086:8c2d] 00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #2 (rev 05)

[8086:8c26] 00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #1 (rev 05)

AMD:

[1022:43d5] 02:00.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 400 Series Chipset USB 3.1 XHCI Controller (rev 01)

[1022:43c8] 02:00.1 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 400 Series Chipset SATA Controller (rev 01)

[1022:145f] 08:00.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Zeppelin USB 3.0 Host controller

Unraid 6.9.2 and 6.10.3 Noone does not  working with Bigsur

I meant the the version in the VM Template.

image.png.483165272081fc119f7284a52bbeb4ac.png

• 4 months later...

Hello
I have a problem with nut, my UPS disconnects intermittently. The UPS is only recognized again by reconnecting the USB cable.
But wenn i use lsusb the UPC is connected: Screenshot. but not in NUT.

NUT UPS-Config:
[UPPSII]
driver = usbhid-ups

port = auto

NUT.conf
MODE=netserver

upsmon.conf
MONITOR [email protected] 1 Monitor4ups ups4monitor master
SHUTDOWNCMD "/sbin/poweroff"
POWERDOWNFLAG /etc/nut/no_killpower
NOTIFYFLAG ONBATT SYSLOG+EXEC
NOTIFYFLAG ONLINE SYSLOG+EXEC
NOTIFYCMD "/usr/sbin/nut-notify"

Do you have an idea
greetings Toby

USV.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2018 at 8:12 AM, CraziFuzzy said:

This looks great - I wonder if it could be a but improved.

I am wanting to set up a virtual PC for my daughter on my server, running an HDMI and a USB to her room, where she'll have a monitor, and a powered USB hub to connect keyboard, mouse, headset, etc.  My hold-up is that m motherboard has a pretty poor IOMMU arrangement, so I cannot seem to successfully pass through a USB controller to the VM.  I can simply pass through the USB devices she needs (Keyboard, Mouse, Headset) via USB passthrough, but this doens't allow her to plug in thumbdrives or other devices into her USB hub.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to detect when new USB devices are plugged into unRAID, and if they are beneath a defined USB hub, they are auto-hotplugged to a specified virtual machine.

Hi. Did you ever get this to work? I tried the same setup but with a monitor with a USB hub. Using the plugin I successfully hotplugged an external drive and it functions just as it would while connected directly to the onboard ports. Keyboard and mouse are also connected to the monitor hub...all working perfectly!

• 10 months later...