Windows VM gamestream not working

Good afternoon

New unraid user here, convert from freenas, and so far I really enjoy it.

I am having an issue setting up GPU passthrough.

System specs:

I5 with vtd enabled

32gb ram

6 4tb hdd w/ 2 in parity

1 ssd for cache

1 ssd dedicated for the vm only

evga gtx 1070 gpu

Everything is running really smooth except for the gpu passthru, I keep getting the error 43 when I look at the display adapter in device manager.

I have tried the fix listed here, twice: 

I have also tried 6 different v bios, each with the same result.. My system sees the gtx 1070, but I am still getting that 43 error code.

any tips or suggestions? this is causing quite the headache :(

Edited by Dickiescoob

Thank you for that link, I have tried pointing to a modified bios.. trouble is, gpuz won't let me dump the bios. So instead I took the bios I'd 80.xxxx and found 6 matches on techpowerup. Modified each of them, and tried them one by one by modifying the VM xml to point to it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I must be blind, cuz I don't see anything in those videos about unraid command line to export the vbios.. one pulls vbios from techpowerup (tried that, no luck) & the other has a2nd gpu and pulls the vbios from gpuz when it's in the 2nd slot(p.i.t.a in my particular build to add a2nd gpu, even temporarily, but might result to that)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Dickiescoob said:

must be blind, cuz I don't see anything in those videos about unraid command line to export the vbios.. one pulls vbios from techpowerup (tried that, no luck) & the other has a2nd gpu and pulls the vbios from gpuz when it's in the 2nd slot(p.i.t.a in my particular build to add a2nd gpu, even temporarily, but might result to that)

Here's my the crib-notes I made for myself the first time I dumped my vbios.  Don't straight copy/paste all my code, as it's just Gridrunner's example from his hardware.

Notes:  I recommend watching the video for context.  Link also from my notes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM7ntkiUoPk 

Pre-req: need card in secondary slot to dump its bios

1. start a VM using the card and activating. (Windows, drivers enabled) shudown vm
  2.  lspci -v 
  3.  echo "BUS:ADDRESS:GPU.0" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/unbind 
  4.  cd /sys/bus/pci/device/0000:02:00.0/ 
    echo 1 > rom
  5.  cat rom > /mnt/user/yoursharename/graphicscardbios.dump 
  6.  echo 0 > rom 

I hope that helps. Good luck!

EDIT2: I just noticed from your OP you have an EVGA 1070. What's the exact model? I'm asking because we might have the same card, I'm using the EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB model. I've gone ahead and attached my vbios, if you want to try it.

gtx1070.dump

Thank you for that, I'll try that out this weekend. ??

My only issue is that my 2nd pcie has a SATA card for my 2 SSDs(VM/cache,) so I'll have to do some moving around to get this to work.

I have the 1070 ftw 8gb, but I'll try your bios, just to see. Thank you:)

I already have windows up, latest Nvidia driver's installed, all games and programs, so I shouldn't need to do this on fresh install, I hope lol

w00t.. i was finally able to pull the vbios with this method, thank you..

also updated to unraid 6.5, which seems to have eliminated the edit xml and added a path option for gpu vbios :) got that going great now, thank you guys again :)

Edited by Dickiescoob
On 3/16/2018 at 8:59 PM, Dickiescoob said:

w00t.. i was finally able to pull the vbios with this method, thank you..

also updated to unraid 6.5, which seems to have eliminated the edit xml and added a path option for gpu vbios :) got that going great now, thank you guys again :)

Both edits are now merged to the same screen, there is a new switch up in the upper right to toggle back and forth now...

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Dickiescoob said:

Only thing left, I ordered a headless HDMI dongle to enable gamestreaming to my Nvidia shield ?

one of my monitors had an extra HDMI that I was not using, so I could get away with just plugging in an extra cable into an HDMI port that just never gets switched to...

I have a dual monitor setup with my regular PC, and the server I hooked up via DP to my 2nd monitor, but that still wasn't getting gamestream to work. I'm assuming since the monitor was being used on the HDMI source, and not the DP, that that was causing the issue.

Found onanother thread people using headless HDMI dongles, so for$15, thought I'd try it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my gpu appears to be working, as I can remote in and play games, however I cannot get game stream to work.

I have disabled the firewall, anti virus, reinstalled geforce driver's several times, and followed the user trouble shooter guide on Nvidia, and still no luck. ☹️

Geforce experience shows that my system is capable, so not sure what I'm missing. 

Also have tried plugging a monitor into it and the headless dongle, but only get a black screen.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Screenshot_20180330-051250.png

Screenshot_20180330-051306.png

Screenshot_20180330-051122.png

• 2 years later...
On 3/30/2018 at 5:59 PM, Dickiescoob said:

Well, my gpu appears to be working, as I can remote in and play games, however I cannot get game stream to work.

I have disabled the firewall, anti virus, reinstalled geforce driver's several times, and followed the user trouble shooter guide on Nvidia, and still no luck. ☹️

Geforce experience shows that my system is capable, so not sure what I'm missing. 

Also have tried plugging a monitor into it and the headless dongle, but only get a black screen.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Screenshot_20180330-051250.png

Screenshot_20180330-051306.png

Screenshot_20180330-051122.png

Disclaimer:
I am using Proxmox VE but I had the same issue, In my case I had to plug in my Dummy HDMI plug then reboot the machine, setup Chrome Remote Desktop and check the Display Resolution after which I reinstalled driver and started moonlight client on my second machine and fired up Nvidia GeForce Experience in my VM and it seemed to do the trick. I use Parsec for gaming as I didn't have good "experience" with GeForce Gamestream.
I hope this method also works on your machine as we have similar issue(I used 650 1GB UEFI patched card).

Proof:
unraid-nvidia-snip-1.png

unraid-nvidia-snip-2.png