Brand new LSI LSI00276 9201-16e HBAs $24.50

bgeery

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118147 is selling brand new LSI LSI00276 9201-16e HBAs for $24.50.  They arrived in a factory-sealed anti-static bags, and did not include cables or instructions.  I ordered 2, and were both identical to the used one I purchased on eBay from another seller, so I believe they are legit cards.  Why buy a used card when new cards are just as cheap?

Main issue would be routing the cables back into the server from external - not the most aesthetic. But if your drives are external, go for it. I have one of these connected to two Rosewill 4in3s in my backup server. And ready to add 2 more if I ever need to. Pretty nice and very economical!

The cables they use are SFF-8088 vs SFF-8087. They are a bit more costly but I actually like the connector better as they much more easily and securely lock. If you are connecting and disconnecting frequently, the SFF-8087s I've had don't hold up. The SFF-8088s do.

58 minutes ago, SSD said:

Main issue would be routing the cables back into the server from external - not the most aesthetic.

Why not grab a $20 PCIe riser extender cable and mount the card fully inside the case? Rig up a bracket to secure it to the bottom or side of the case, connect it to the slot with the extender cable, and route the SFF-8088's without exiting the case.

Interesting. I used a riser card in a short case that basically allowed you to turn two slots 90 degrees. It was pretty slick! But it was case-specific part.

These riser extension cables might indeed help! Might be a bit messy inside the case. One of the disadvantages of the SFF-8088 is that they require quite a bit of room to insert and remove. He might find himself having to insert the cables before mounting the card depending on internal clearance, which might not be too bad. Also, mounting them normally and just routing them in through an empty slot would also work. That's what I would do in my setup.

1 hour ago, SSD said:

Might be a bit messy inside the case.

Oh, quite definitely. I don't have glass sided cases, what goes on behind closed doors doesn't bother me. :ph34r:

With proper hot swap drive bays, I don't want to open the door unless forced.

1 hour ago, SSD said:

Also, mounting them normally and just routing them in through an empty slot would also work.

So, the mess is outside the case then. :D

Either way, it's not optimal space wise, but saving $$$ is worth a bit of hassle and mess for some. If not, just bite the bullet and buy the internal versions instead.

6 hours ago, Squid said:

Since Newegg.ca doesn't have the same deal, Canadian's can get it for the same price (actually a hair cheaper at $23.78 US with free shipping to the most awesome country in the world) by hitting Newegg's 3rd party supplier  www.madepc.com

newegg.ca has even a better deal at $589 each.

:-\

I run my 9201-16e to 2 4in3s with regular SATA connections. Just bought SFF-8088 to SATA breakout cables. I also run a power pigtail out to power the 4in3s. 4in3s (or 5in3s like the CSE-M35T-1B which I prefer) can be had for $50-$100 on ebay. Since the SFF-8088 breakouts only support 4 drives, you could run a regular sata connection for the 5th drive. Or use multiple breakout cables. Or just leave the 5th unused. I use the Rosewill 4in3s that I bought a long time ago. Not as good quality as the SuperMicros, but work ok.

Quick report:

Package arrived today.  Card only, which goes against the pictures shown on newegg's site, but exactly what their 3rd party supplier states it will be on theirs.  No trace of scratches on the edge card indicating it had ever been used before.  Anti-static bag *had* been opened previously (2 seal stickers on it.  The second didn't quite cover up the first.  Was close though)  Currently I have an email in with LSI to determine if its counterfeit or not.

Ships with P7 of the firmware.  Have a weird little problem where depending upon which slot the card is in and which slot my 9211 is in the system refuses to POST at all.  Hoping that an update to P20 (once my wife is asleep) will fix that, as I want the cards in certain slots.  unRaid recognizes that the card is there.

Assuming that I don't brick the card with an update to P20, then I'll go ahead an order the cabling tonight.  (The card is so cheap (and shipped via FedEx instead of USPS for free over the border!) that I was considering it disposable if it didn't work, and wasn't going to invest in the 8088->Sata cables for it if it didn't work)