Cache support for manual SMB services (shares)

Hi,

I've installed a SMB service via Settings/SMB, rather than the Shares GUI. This service (share) needs to be managed manually, since it does not appear in the Shares GUI. Access control etc is no problem, but I'd like to know how I can configure the Cache mode for this service. I had a look at the Samba configs for other shares generated through the GUI, but couldn't find anything related to the cache. I'm sure it must be somewhere ... (?) 

Regards,

Carsten

I don't know what you're doing, and I wonder if you know what unRAID cache is about.

Caching of user share writes happens at the file I/O level, and as far as I know is independent of SMB, NFS, etc. And of course there is no caching of reads.

Maybe if you could tell us more about what you are trying to do we would have some idea where to go with this discussion.

Hi trurl,

background is that I need some nested shares. Not many, just 2 or three. This is to allow some users to access just some portions of a bigger structure. Shares via the GUI are installed at /mnt/user/<sharename>, which I am using and they are fine. But the few shares in question are located inside that share, means, I need to share /mnt/user/<sharename>/<dir1>/<dir2> and /mnt/user/<sharename>/<dir1>/<dir3>.

I've done that by putting this into Settings/SMB:

[<dir2_service>]
	path = /mnt/user/<sharename>/<dir1>/<dir2>
	comment = 
	browseable = yes
	# Secure
	public = yes
	writeable = no
	write list = <manager>
	vfs objects =

Same for the <dir3_service>.

In general it works fine. I'm now looking for a way to control the cache setting. Is there a possibility?

Regards,

Carsten

Hi trurl,

since the services have different performance requirements I considered different cache settings. Not a big thing, I just wanted to optimize the services. Never mind, it works ok with the settings given in the <sharename> service.

With regards to your comment, there is no problem. I just wanted to know whether a particular functionality/setting was available in order to fine-tune my setup. No major issue. No invention of a problem. I can set up services other than the ones through the GUI. Standard Samba stuff. All functional. It might not be the core intention of unRAID to add services that way, but in the end it is a matter of taste. Unless there are serious technical concerns other than philosophical ones, which I might not aware of. (?)

Regards,

Carsten

The SMB Settings are there for you to customize. As long as you are aware that these "shares" are not unRAID User Shares and so don't get any of the User Share features. Similar in some ways to Unassigned Devices. They can be shared, but they are not User Shares.

One purpose of unRAID User Shares is to allow shared folders to span disks. And since your subfolders are within a User Share, they might span disks, or not. You can control this by setting the Split Level of the User Share these subfolders are in.

Hi trurl,

I've checked the spanning by copying stuff to and from. All fine, they are being dealt with like the User Share.

I was also concerned I might forget about the manual ones, but (luckily) the SMB settings are kept in the customization window and not just fired off into some config file and then disappear. That will help me to remember.

Thanks for your time and your clarifications.

Regards

Carsten