Sandisk Cruizer Fit (16GB)?

Just a quick query really, I'm just running the UnRaid trial but have had issues with trying to use two new 16Gb Sandisk Cruizer Fit keys (I like them as they're very small), both would boot up on my Unraid server (HP DL380G8) but not actually mount properly (dropped to prompt, just a 169.x IP).

I've got it working fine using a different USB key (Sandisk SDHC in a USB reader), but would have preferred to use the Cruizer if I could have.

Is this a common issue, or is it my HP server being picky with the keys it chooses to work with.

Thx

:)

Some people have more success using a USB2 port. Not clear why, may have something to do with the motherboard or BIOS during boot. Did you try a USB2 port?

I don't know if you can count on the SD reader you have as far as licensing. The boot device must present a unique GUID for the license to work. If you get a GUID, and it turns out to not be unique, it could be blacklisted.

My MBD only has USB2 ports (sadly lol).

I did get blacklisted on some straight SD cards, the SDHC in the USB key appears to work though (I can start the array and so forth).  I'm thinking of trying to find a different small USB key to use instead, is there any recommendations (not the cruizer though ;))

1 hour ago, Leifgg said:

I am using Sandisk Cruzer Fit (the USB 2.0 version) in my servers without any problems.

And me.

Ducky, is it possible you didn't prepare them the same way you did the SD? Did you use the USB Creator? I have never used it myself since it was introduced long after I had my systems working. Maybe if you tried the manual instructions.

I tried the USB creator originally, but when that didn't work (before I knew it was the key itself) I did it manually, and have done that ever since.

I'll have another go creating it again with the Cruzer key and see what happens, if I can, I'll try it in one of my other servers also to see if the issue is specific to the HP.

Thx for the replies. :)

Ok, so I formatted the USB key again, ran H2Test to confirm all is well, recreated UNraid on it again, and it works on my Dell server :D, so at least I know the key is good now, I just need to try it again on my HP server. 

One note....can I just copy the config file from my SDHC to the Cruzer so everything is setup the same?

Thx

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

i believe that one restriction of using the trial is that you cannot simply transfer the configuration to another USB stick, but I am not certain about that.

You can transfer the rest of the configuration. I am not sure about the trial key either, since I have never had one.

Hmm, maybe I would be better off buying it and then trying the move to a new USB key.  I'm not fussed about black flagging the SDHC card in the process, I just don't want to lose my config while I move to the Cruzer USB (assuming it will work in the HP).

P)

13 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

You can't replace a trial flash drive, you can transfer the config to a licensed flash drive.

So if I got the Cruzer USB working and licensed it, you think I could then transfer the config across from the SDHC card and all would be well?

thx

Ok so end of the story, located an internal USB port hidden in the depths of the server (no-where near the on-board SD slot), and the Cruzer-Fit works properly in this port, so upgraded that key to a pro license, and transferred the config from the old one, and all is good now! :D

Thanks for all the help/info!