6.5.0 upgrade problem

On 3/15/2018 at 3:43 PM, Hoopster said:

Conclusion:  With unRAID 6.5.0, the ASRock C236 WSI can no longer be booted in "legacy" mode (non-UEFI boot and EFi- folder on flash drive).  UEFI boot is now required and boot priority #1 must be UEFI: {Flash Drive} with all others disabled and the flash folder EFI- must be renamed to EFI.

Basically, I can confirm what Gamephreak discovered. I think the key to getting it to boot normally are his #3 and #6.

I have this board (C236 WSI P2.10) and did not have any issues at all upgrading from 6.4.1 to 6.50.

After reading the comments here, I got curious and hooked up a monitor to my server to check the boot settings.

I am booting in "legacy" mode (non-EFI boot and EFI- folder on flash drive)

I tried changing only the boot mode to UEFI (without renaming EFI- folder) and of course it failed to boot, so I changed it back.

Should I update the bios and make the changes to UEFI boot mode or since everything is working fine could I just leave it alone?

3 minutes ago, prtsmgr said:

I have this board (C236 WSI P2.10) and did not have any issues at all upgrading from 6.4.1 to 6.50.

After reading the comments here, I got curious and hooked up a monitor to my server to check the boot settings.

I am booting in "legacy" mode (non-EFI boot and EFI- folder on flash drive)

I tried changing only the boot mode to UEFI (without renaming EFI- folder) and of course it failed to boot, so I changed it back.

Should I update the bios and make the changes to UEFI boot mode or since everything is working fine could I just leave it alone?

If you are still on the 2.10 BIOS, apparently, that will still boot in legacy boot mode with unRAID, 6.5.0.  When I ran into this problem, the board had the 2.30 BIOS and would not boot legacy in unRAID 6.5.0.  There is not necessarily any advantage to one boot method over another, but, many modern boards will only support UEFI boot which is why Limetech introduced the option. 

Yes, if you only changed the boot mode in the BIOS to UEFI without renaming the flash folder to EFI, that will fail to boot.

If you care about spectre/meltown, you may want to upgrade the BIOS to 2.50 as that contains microcode to address these issues (according to ASRock).  You may find, however, that after doing so you are no longer able to boot in legacy mode with unRAID 6.5.0.  If that is that is the case, simply change the boot priority to UEFI: (flash drive) - disable the rest - and rename the flash folder from EFI- to EFI and you should be able to boot without issue.  For the rest of us with this board that has worked without fail.

One disadvantage I've found to using UEFI boot (different motherboard, admittedly - mine's an Asus) is that it hangs if there's no keyboard connected while legacy boot doesn't. It reminds me of the ancient error message "Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue." I got round it by buying a cheap wireless keyboard and just leaving the dongle plugged into a USB port. That's sufficient; the keyboard itself can be left switched off.

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2018 at 1:41 PM, Strega said:

This is what I did-

I renamed the EFI- folder to EFI and set my BIOS back to the way it was with 6.4.1. Actually the only change I made was changing Boot Option Filter back to UEFI and Legacy. I left my boot order alone and didn't update the BIOS. My graphics is set to AUTO. Mine did the same as Hoopster, got stuck 

i went back into BIOS and changed the boot order to #1 UEFI: Sandisk and set all the others to Disable. It booted up normally. I have rebooted it a couple of times and it boots up.

Gamephreak did discover the fix. Rename the EFI- folder to EFI and set the boot order to #1 UEFI (Flash Drive) and disable all other boot options.

This fixed my failure to boot also. I upgraded from 6.4.1 to 6.5.2 and struck this problem. Changing the boot order and folder name fixed my woes. My mobo is an Asrock H110 mini ITX.

Edited by giantkingsquid