Upgrade Build - Gaming, Media, Mining

dispake

So I have an existing unRAID build that unfortunately does not support the virtualization I'd like to take advantage on in the current versions.

I plan on utilizing it for

• Plex
  • Win10 VM - Occasional gaming
  • Win10 VM - Mining (supporting 4-6 GPUs)
  • NAS

Those are the main things.

I already have a PSU and HDDs.  Here's a list of the major components I'm considering: 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KXQmzM

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jcrjM8

Just wanted to get a sanity check that the above tasks are realistic.  The biggest question is the Mining one - that multiple GPUs can pass through to a single VM.  I've read threads here of success so it must be doable.

Thanks!

Edited by dispake
1 hour ago, tential said:

Tiny case.  I don't understand why tiny case for a server.  What if you want more HDDs?

Are you ok with that?

Good point.  TBH I wasn't really thinking about the case and just throw on a standard one.  I changed it to a full tower just for cost purposes but will look into the details / features later.  

I wouldnt pick ryzen until all issues with it are 100% fixed, but you must know for yourself.

What you want to do at the same time? or all 3 things not at the same time?

16gb Ram is relative low, i would suggest atleast 16gb only for gaming + something for unraid so maybe about 32gb, if u can afford.

As far as what i read about pass thru, it works with some work, but never did it myself. BUT SLI or such things wont work!

Edited by nuhll
6 hours ago, nuhll said:

I wouldnt pick ryzen until all issues with it are 100% fixed, but you must know for yourself.

What you want to do at the same time? or all 3 things not at the same time?

16gb Ram is relative low, i would suggest atleast 16gb only for gaming + something for unraid so maybe about 32gb, if u can afford.

As far as what i read about pass thru, it works with some work, but never did it myself. BUT SLI or such things wont work!

I was a little hesitant on ryzen but by some comments, it seemed like there was only the one issue with disabling the C6 state.  Though I can't say that I don't have a small bit of concern in the back of my mind that would likely be eliminated if I just went Intel.

I won't be doing all 3 at the same time... just need the ability to do all 3.

If I understand SLI correctly, it's sharing of workload between GPUs?  That wouldn't be necessary as each GPU would be working on their own separate task.  I just need to make sure that a single VM can detect all GPUs.

5 hours ago, trurl said:

Both of my servers are mini-ITX and I know others here have similar. Drives are pretty large these days and my media collection isn't growing very fast anymore.

And, SFF (small form factor) has more WAF :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wife_acceptance_factor

Indeed they are.  I haven't even used up my current drives (only 3).  Though I've played with the idea of adding a cache drive and the additional bay options might be nice.  Luckily for me, WAF has a pretty good high tolerance, lol.

4 hours ago, pwm said:

I have one huge and several small machines. A little guy with 5 drives in 4+1 configuration can fit 48 TB with 12 TB drives which isn't too shabby.

48 would be plenty!  But can't justify paying that kinda money for 12TB drives (didn't even realize they made those).

Just now, dispake said:

Indeed they are.  I haven't even used up my current drives (only 3).  Though I've played with the idea of adding a cache drive and the additional bay options might be nice.  Luckily for me, WAF has a pretty good high tolerance, lol.

48 would be plenty!  But can't justify paying that kinda money for 12TB drives (didn't even realize they made those).

Even 2+1 with 8TB drives is 16 TB which is plenty for lots of people. And small means easy to place.

The important thing is that different people have different needs, so there are no needs to copy other peoples "recipes" unless the goals happens to be similar. The main thing is to build a stable machine with good disks and PSU and don't overclock.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, dispake said:

I was a little hesitant on ryzen but by some comments, it seemed like there was only the one issue with disabling the C6 state.  Though I can't say that I don't have a small bit of concern in the back of my mind that would likely be eliminated if I just went Intel.

I won't be doing all 3 at the same time... just need the ability to do all 3.

If I understand SLI correctly, it's sharing of workload between GPUs?  That wouldn't be necessary as each GPU would be working on their own separate task.  I just need to make sure that a single VM can detect all GPUs.

As far as i know SLI is most used for gaming, for GPU farming et.c its not used so this should be no problem.

Passthru is some work, but from what i read from others, its doable... :D

But i really would go for 32gb ram, just to be sure, So unraid would have i dont know, 4GB and rest is for what u want to do, with 32gb you could probably let all run the same time either.

(as long as u dont mine on the gpu where u want to play at)

OR

install first 16gb but so that you can upgrade later to 32.

Edited by nuhll