Lost all app data, seeking recommendations for starting from scratch

Josh7890

Hi all,

Through a series of unfortunate events*, I lost all of my docker app data, and I need to start from scratch. Previously I was using Plex Media Server, CouchPotato, Sonarr, NZBGet, NZBHydra, and I'm sure a few other minor tools that I forget about now.

Since I have to start over anyway, I'm wondering if there are any recommendations for the best of these types of apps for use with Unraid. Are there any repositories that give you them all bundled together and configured to talk to each other, more or less "out of the box"?

I have a lifetime Plex Pass subscription, so I want to keep my setup Plex-centric, but otherwise I'm open to anything.

*If you're curious about the gory details of how I lost everything, the sequence of bad decisions I made were: 1) Only one cache drive (edit: which failed), 2) CA AppData Backup configured to delete backups older than 1 day, and 3) it did a "backup" of the empty cache drive, replacing the wonderfully useful backup with an empty folder. :(

Edited by Josh7890
25 minutes ago, Josh7890 said:

1) Only one cache drive, 2) CA AppData Backup configured to delete backups older than 1 day, and 3) it did a "backup" of the empty cache drive, replacing the wonderfully useful backup with an empty folder.

What happened between 2 & 3?

16 minutes ago, Squid said:

What happened between 2 & 3?

Ah, I forgot to include the fact that the drive failed. So after it failed, I checked to see if the backup was intact, and it was! But then the following week, it did another backup and of course the cache share was now empty, so it dutifully backed up an empty folder and deleted the >1-day old backup.

4 minutes ago, Josh7890 said:

Ah, I forgot to include the fact that the drive failed. So after it failed, I checked to see if the backup was intact, and it was! But then the following week, it did another backup and of course the cache share was now empty, so it dutifully backed up an empty folder and deleted the >1-day old backup.

OT from your question, but when the drive was failed was there any cache drive installed?  Need the info to possibly prevent this from happening to anyone else.

11 minutes ago, Squid said:

OT from your question, but when the drive was failed was there any cache drive installed?  Need the info to possibly prevent this from happening to anyone else.

Ah, I just realized you're the CA Appdata Backup guy! Thanks for a good tool; sorry if I'm giving it bad publicity by highlighting how I misused it. :)

To answer your question: No, once that drive failed there were zero remaining cache drives. I was using just the one drive. (About to be replaced with a cache pool now though!)

It would probably be useful in future versions to have as a default setting something along the lines of "require confirmation before replacing a previous backup with an empty backup" to handle situations like this. The app did actually work as configured, and since it's backing up the share not the drive, it did properly interpret the share as empty.

5 minutes ago, Josh7890 said:

sorry if I'm giving it bad publicity by highlighting how I misused it.

Nope.  You pointed out a priority bug.  I'm not checking to see if the source exists before backing up (and more importantly if the source didn't exist, I shouldn't be deleting any old backup sets)  There'll be a fix tomorrow

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Squid said:

Nope.  You pointed out a priority bug.  I'm not checking to see if the source exists before backing up (and more importantly if the source didn't exist, I shouldn't be deleting any old backup sets)  There'll be a fix tomorrow

Well then I'm glad something good came of this! :)

Edited by Josh7890
  • Like 1