OS Flash Drive w/+12M Writes

Model: Custom
M/B: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. - Z77X-UD5H
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
HVM: Enabled
IOMMU: Disabled
Cache: 128 kB, 1024 kB, 8192 kB
Memory: 32 GB (max. installable capacity 32 GB)
Network: eth0: 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 1500 
 eth1: not connected
Kernel: Linux 4.14.13-unRAID x86_64
OpenSSL: 1.0.2n

So, last night I found all my shares had been made public via SMB, not just according to the GUI, I could see and mount all my shares remotely, which made me think security breach. I tried to change them back but was unable, hitting apply did nothing! After changing my underwear, I started poking around and noticed that the OS flash drive had over 12M reads/writes since last reboot. Also, I could not bring up the Dashboard and could not run Fix Common Problems. I saw in the syslog that the os flash drive had failed (all those writes may have exhausted its lifespan?? ) so I downloaded the diagnostics file and tried to stop the array, which didn't go well and I had to crash the system. After a restart the os would not boot, no GUI, no ssh, no ping. The flash drive would not mount on my MBP, just flashed for a few seconds and self ejected. I did manage to get the drive working again by running 'dd' on it over and over. This time the os booted normally and passed it's parity check. Unraid seems to be working file now.

So, I have two questions:

Can some one take a look at the diagnostic dump and help me get some insight into what caused this. Do you think that the drive just failed and that's what precipitated all those read/writes, or was it the other way around? Or, perhaps something else.

Also, I obviously need to get the os off that drive and onto another. I have an identical one that I bought at the same time specifically for unraid. Is it possible to make a copy/backup. I remember reading something about a hardcoded uuid so just a straight dump might now work.

Thanks for taking a look.

unraid-diagnostics-20180315-1855.zip

Edited by ksd2kd
formatting
49 minutes ago, ksd2kd said:

noticed that the OS flash drive had over 12M reads/writes since last reboot

That usually a sign of problems with the flash drive.

And these confirm it:

Mar  9 04:40:16 unraid kernel: usb 4-2: USB disconnect, device number 4
Mar  9 04:40:16 unraid kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#0 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x01 driverbyte=0x00
Mar  9 04:40:16 unraid kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#0 CDB: opcode=0x28 28 00 00 2c 18 80 00 00 02 00
Mar  9 04:40:16 unraid kernel: print_req_error: I/O error, dev sda, sector 2889856
Mar  9 04:40:16 unraid kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 309504) failed
Mar  9 04:40:16 unraid kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 309505) failed
Mar  9 04:40:16 unraid kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 309506) failed
Mar  9 04:40:16 unraid kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 309507) failed

The flash is failing or corrupt, if using an USB 3.0 port try an USB 2.0 instead.

41 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

if using an USB 3.0 port try an USB 2.0 instead.

It's using USB 3. Why is 2 preferred?

So, you think it just flaked out then? Do you know if the os flash drive be cloned/backed up? Isn't it serialized or something for licensing purposes?