Upgrade from 6.3.5 to 6.5 -- nginx doesn't start -- can't log into web ui

Just upgraded to 6.5 and now I can't access the web ui.   I finally logged into the physical machine and booted into gui and tried to access the web UI from there, but still can't connect. 

Tried starting nginx manually and i get the following error, which is likely why the web ui doesn't work.

nginx: [emerg] PEM_read_bio_X509_AUX("/etc/ssl/certs/unraid_bundle.pem") failed (SSL: error:0906D06C:PEM routines:PEM_read_bio:no start line:Expecting: TRUSTED CERTIFICATE)

How can I get back to 6.3.5 or fix this issue??

Thanks,

Sean.

I was finally able to hack the configuration to allow the UI to start by commenting out the ssl cert stuff in the nginx configuration.

# Ok to use concatenated pem files; nginx will do the right thing.
#    ssl_certificate          /etc/ssl/certs/unraid_bundle.pem;
#    ssl_certificate_key      /etc/ssl/certs/unraid_bundle.pem;
#    ssl_trusted_certificate  /etc/ssl/certs/unraid_bundle.pem;

but this is just a hack, since on a reboot, it appear to uncomment them, and then the UI won't start again.

Hopefully unRAID can determine what is going on and provide a fix.

• Like 1

@Squid thanks, I'll try to get that as soon as I can.   Unfortunately this was a client update in another city, so when they are back on Monday, I'll remote into their machine and perform the diagnostics.

Does unRAID have a backout from a failed upgrade -- something that can be run from a console?  Is there a way, from a console, to downgrade?  Now that I've hacked it to get the UI working, is there a plugin that can do a downgrade? (I thought about maybe installing the dvb plugin and using its list of kernels to see if I could downgrade.. but not sure what that would do, and I really don't want to mess up their system any more than it is).

One thing that comes to mind when I did the upgrade on their machine, is that I clicked the "update" link, twice.  The first time it ran through the download and extract process, and I clicked done, and then I got distracted with some other tasks, so when I came back, I clicked the "update" again, and it did the download and extract.  I can't imagine that doing this twice could be this destructive, especially since unRAID doesn't force a reboot and they don't disable or check if the update happened before doing it again.

Hi there Stuckless / Sean

Like you I experienced the same issue after upgrading to 6.5. 

After a little investigating I found it to be an issue with my hostname. Up until now there have been no issues with my hostname containing an "_" but possibly something has changed with 6.5.

Basically i went through to /boot/config/ident.cfg and edited the hostname from "media_server" to simply "mediaserver", rebooted and the issue was no longer. The file update also seems to push through to the core /etc/hostname & /etc/hosts.

If this was not your issue... there was also a similar error and resolution in the post below... 

As for the downgrading when i returned to the update os selection through the GUI i noticed that there was now an option to revert to my previous version, however I am unsure if the same will result with 6.3.5 but its worth checking

image.thumb.png.50aade9a2a96106caa02623d877c9a88.png

Good Luck

Hopefully you manage to resolve your issue

Regards

Edited by Blacksmoke
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Blacksmoke said:

The file update also seems to push through to the core /etc/hostname & /etc/hosts.

All of the OS folders (/etc and so on) are in RAM and are unpacked fresh from the archives on the boot flash into RAM at each boot, then settings (made in webUI and stored on flash) are applied. So that's how the settings in ident.cfg wind up in /etc.

@Blacksmoke Thanks for the find... It does seem like this is my issue as well.  Once I can get access the system, I'll try the solution posted there, but I'm pretty confident that it's the same issue, so hopefully the same solution works.

@trurl thanks for that explanation.   I didn't realize /etc was a memory fs, but that explains why my edits did take.

Thanks guys for the help.  I'll report back once I get confirmation of the fix.

• 4 weeks later...

what is the best way to upgrade from 6.3 to 6.5
I cannot do it via unraid GUI as through the GUI you need 6.4 to update to 6.5 (version mismatch) it won't allow the install (on 6.3)

is it still the same method, copy a 'few files' manually to the flash. I ask because the new version file set looks different.

Any assistance would be great.

• 2 months later...
On 3/16/2018 at 7:54 PM, stuckless said:

I was finally able to hack the configuration to allow the UI to start by commenting out the ssl cert stuff in the nginx configuration.

# Ok to use concatenated pem files; nginx will do the right thing.
#    ssl_certificate          /etc/ssl/certs/unraid_bundle.pem;
#    ssl_certificate_key      /etc/ssl/certs/unraid_bundle.pem;
#    ssl_trusted_certificate  /etc/ssl/certs/unraid_bundle.pem;

but this is just a hack, since on a reboot, it appear to uncomment them, and then the UI won't start again.

Hopefully unRAID can determine what is going on and provide a fix.

I spent 4 hours on this today. but this band aided the issue. The weird thing is that it would work with a fresh install but not after I added my config folder. crazy.  I wonder if unraid has an updated pem file?