templateURL more trouble than its worth?

Squid

@Djoss @CHBMB @aptalca @saarg @sparklyballs @binhex @otherPeople that I can't be bothered to figure out who to point to this thread.

Is the templateURL entry in a template basically proven to be more trouble than its worth considering how users are utilizing their containers nowadays?  Is the support requests coming from dockerMan automatically updating the user templates based upon what the maintainer's latest version of the template a pain in the ass?  Or should this tag (and the ability for dockerMan to continue to update the template) remain? 

Alternatively, would simply getting rid of the updates to the webUI solve most of your problems?

The current list of updated elements are 'Support', 'Overview', 'Category', 'WebUI', 'Icon', and any Config tag

Edited by Squid
16 hours ago, Squid said:

Is the support requests coming from dockerMan automatically updating the user templates based upon what the maintainer's latest version of the template a pain in the ass?

for me, i get very little support issues caused by this, now that could be because people haven't enabled this feature (cos they are running an old template and haven't run FCP to enable it) or because the feature just seems to work, i couldn't say, but i like the idea of it, as templates can change and having the ability to push out changes to users is a good idea IMHO.

i guess another question is squid, how much of a pain in the ass is it for you? :-).

I also never got issues with that.  It's a good way to fix templates or add new stuff to it.  In fact it's a good way to reduce support requests.

The only potential issue I see is that it's not possible for a user to remove an optional config element, since it will come back with the next update.  So maybe it could be useful that have a way to indicate that a config element in the template is present but disabled (ignored, not used).