Flash backup question

11 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

Do I need to stop the array for a flash backup? Are all files (e.g. disk.cfg) identical for started or stopped arrays?

Thanks in advance.

Most files are not affected by array status but not quite all of them!   The file super.dat contains the state of whether the array is started or not.   If you back it up with the array started, and then later try to use the backup unRAID will think you have done an unsafe shutdown and automatically start a parity check on starting the array.   If the array is stopped when that file is backed up then this will not happen.

Good to know. Thanks.

I vote for an additional hint for that backup button. "If a flash backup is taken with the array started, a parity sync will be issued after a restore of that flash backup. A parity sync will not start after a restore of a flash backup of a stopped array." or something like that.

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, nuhll said:

I had it happen that the USB failed and then reconnected.

Everything still works, docker, vms and plugins, but the GUI is not working anymore. (many errors everywhere)

A reconnect means that all open files gets invalidated - so any program that doesn't close the file handles and try to reopen after the reconnect will fail until the program or machine is restarted.