Intel 7820X Sanity check before I pull the trigger

Hey all,

was going to upgrade my E5-2670s to E5-2680V2's but now i am leaning towards just doing a single newer cpu so i was checking out the 7820X

This will be for a Plex server primarily (like 6-7 current streams, mostly H264 content but H265 is starting to make its way in there) a small minecraft server (just for myself and a few friends) and a torrent box (I give this 2 cores and it seems to be happy with that).

I was looking at a Threadripper chip at first but in this price bracket Intel seems to be the better route - https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Core-i7-7820X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-1920X/3038vs3062 (also i like that i can get 10x SATA ports on an Intel board, 8x Mechanical drives, 2x SSD)

I also like the significantly higher single thread score. I do have some VC1 content which iirc is singlethreaded when transcoding on plex

I have Unraid & the torrent box on a Ryzen 5 1600 right now, i have seen it handle 4 concurrent streams but that will likely grow to 6-7 in the future and this is without the minecraft server.

Since its socket 2066 i could drop in a better cpu down the road if i wanted

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

I just moved from an old i5 to my 7820x on a gigabyte gaming 3 299 board. 

I run light transcoding with Plex along with a bunch of other docker processes. I also run a Win 10 VM on 3 cores with a 1080ti passthrough and a OSX High Sierra VM with a 970 passthrough.

I have 6 spinning, 1 nvme, and 1 SSD for storage. 

Overall very happy with with the move from my old box. No big issues as of yet. 

• 3 weeks later...

I ran a Ryzen 5 1600 for about a month, but just swapped back to Intel - I got a cheap Z370 board and an i5-8400.  The Ryzen was using over double the power of the i5, the R5 idles at about 75W, where the i5 idles at 32W.  The i5 can also do transcoding with a lot less power consumption, which is better for me as most of my home runs off solar power all day, and I'd rather be using free electricity when at all possible.

Other than the higher power consumption, I had no problems at all with the Ryzen, worked really well.  I'm considering getting one of the new Ryzen2 chips for my workstation, to replace the i7-5960X which is pretty hard on power, but it performs great so I'll have to see how Ryzen2 compares performance wise. 

On 4/17/2018 at 4:22 AM, HellDiverUK said:

I ran a Ryzen 5 1600 for about a month, but just swapped back to Intel - I got a cheap Z370 board and an i5-8400.  The Ryzen was using over double the power of the i5, the R5 idles at about 75W, where the i5 idles at 32W.  The i5 can also do transcoding with a lot less power consumption, which is better for me as most of my home runs off solar power all day, and I'd rather be using free electricity when at all possible.

Other than the higher power consumption, I had no problems at all with the Ryzen, worked really well.  I'm considering getting one of the new Ryzen2 chips for my workstation, to replace the i7-5960X which is pretty hard on power, but it performs great so I'll have to see how Ryzen2 compares performance wise. 

I ended up getting the new Ryzen 7 2700X, going to do the swap in the next few days

On 4/29/2018 at 11:39 AM, ars92 said:

I’m sure many people would like to know how does 2700 respond to C6 enabled.
Threadripper seems to work ok with c states enabled, so who knows...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on my previous experience with my first gen ryzen i disabled it right out of the gate lol

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2018 at 1:26 PM, Tanitus said:

I just moved from an old i5 to my 7820x on a gigabyte gaming 3 299 board. 

I run light transcoding with Plex along with a bunch of other docker processes. I also run a Win 10 VM on 3 cores with a 1080ti passthrough and a OSX High Sierra VM with a 970 passthrough.

I have 6 spinning, 1 nvme, and 1 SSD for storage. 

Overall very happy with with the move from my old box. No big issues as of yet. 

How much ram do you have on your server?