I lost network settings

Westex

I was helping someone with network problems remotely with their unraid and I changed network setting and lost connection to the server.  Can someone point me to a guide or give some advice as to how to changed the network settings the a monitor and keyboard.  I will be onsite tomorrow and put a monitor and keyboard on the machine.  I know this is probably a stupid question but I'm a newbe and i set this machine up just following the guides awhile ago.  I did update this machine to the newest version of unraid just the other day.  Thanks in advance.

Westex

12 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

On the flash drive, go the config folder/directory.  There you will have to edit the   network.cfg    file.   Note, I just check my network.cfg and it is in the Windows CR/LF format so you will need to be careful about what you use to edit it if you hit the <Enter> key.  

Most windows editors will destroy the line endings with or without the user pressing the <Enter> key.

An editor like Notepad++ or Programmers Notepad has a setting to specify what line endings to use. And I think it's part of the installation-default setting that they auto-detect the line endings of a loaded file and edits/saves with the same format unless the user explicitly selects a different line-endings format.

14 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

On the flash drive, go the config folder/directory.  There you will have to edit the   network.cfg    file.   Note, I just check my network.cfg and it is in the Windows CR/LF format so you will need to be careful about what you use to edit it if you hit the <Enter> key.  

Internally all is translated to linux format (LF ending), the CRLF endings are done for convenience of Windows users and when they use the standard notepad editor.

As others have indicated a much better choice is notepad++. This editor auto detects the current line endings and saves the file accordingly, the user doesn't have to worry about 'wrong' line endings.

You have to reboot the server.  The boot menu will contain a menu choice of    unRAID OS GUI Mode   You select that option and the monitor will display a GUI using Firefox.  You should be able to do anything there that you would using a browser on any other device.  While I have never done it, there are a lot of folks who do on a regular basis.  

1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

You have to reboot the server.  The boot menu will contain a menu choice of    unRAID OS GUI Mode   You select that option and the monitor will display a GUI using Firefox.  You should be able to do anything there that you would using a browser on any other device.  While I have never done it, there are a lot of folks who do on a regular basis.  

Thanks!!!  This was the best idea worked great!!!  Is this in the manual?

3 hours ago, bonienl said:

You know that all times you are only a single click away from the online manual! See the bottom right of the GUI.

image.png.d2f94e07c44d417d67ceb6f77c27085c.png

Once at the online manual, see the section Getting Started under unRAID Server OS 6.x

I know that....  I read the network part and the part about setting up for the first time, but didn't see anything about being able to boot in this mode.   I have not looked at a command line probably since 4.X during set up.  But thanks y'all for getting a fast response to a newbi 

Archived