[SOLVED] pfSense not playing nice with Unraid

sentein

About 2 months ago i created a pfSense router for my home setup This is a stand alone system that is bare metal and not a VM of any sort. Ever since then i cannot get the plugins to register there are updates needed, the plugins all have status - Unknown. The OSupdate area in tools is also non-functional. Is there anyone here that has a pfSense router working nicely with unraid that would be willing to give me some pointers?

I also have this error in the Fix common problems section "Unable to communicate with GitHub.com" along with every Plugin that needs updated listed there as well. I understand why it is throwing that last error but i need a way to fix it and have not found a good solution as of yet. The reason is that pfSense stops all ping requests as far as i can tell from my readings. The error from github is due to pinging Github.com and not getting a response. I have a feeling this is my underlying issue with the plugin status and update. It could also quite possible be my main issue with the OSupdate tool not working as well.

I have set the DNS in my router and both of my servers. I have also tried disabling the firewall and shutting down pfBlockerNG in different combinations to leave everything unprotected. I only have one port forwarded to the outside world and that is Plex@32400. Https is enabled and i have a VPN server setup and working. Any help is appreciated if you would like to know anything else just ask. I will give any information i can. I do apologize for having to ask this here, I have been at this for 2 months and admit defeat. I like my protection but if i cannot get pfSense to work 100% i may as well nuke it. 

Edited by sentein

This is what i am getting.

The following input errors were detected:

- Host "github.com" did not respond or could not be resolved.

I have a feeling something might be screwed up in this region but i cannot put my finger on it. The first DNS is used with pfBlockerNG when active.

General Setup.jpg

It is a dummy DNS = No one as is not pointing to a Wan.

All DNS requests blocked by pfBlockerNG go here to die. pfBlockerNG is setup as a DNS based network AD blocker. So if it sees a request to or from a website on one of my lists it forwards those DNS queries to 10.10.10.1 which goes absolutely no where. Since the DNS queries cannot be resolved to a website the AD is effectively blocked.

11 minutes ago, ijuarez said:

Who is 10.10.10.1?

That's the Virtual IP for the DNS blocker DNSBL portion of the pfBlockerNG package.

I'm not exactly sure why you put 10.10.10.1 under General Setup, I always thought you'd have to put an external DNS server there which is will be used by the pfSense box.

Edited by joelones
Just now, joelones said:

That's the Virtual IP for the DNS blocker DNSBL portion of the pfBlockerNG package.

I'm not exactly sure why you 10.10.10.1 under General Settings, I always thought you'd have to put an external DNS server there which is will be used by the pfSense box.

That's why I asked, I don't use pfBlockerNG.

Personal note, stay away from google dns and use open nic or open dns

7 minutes ago, sentein said:

It is a dummy DNS = No one as is not pointing to a Wan.

All DNS requests blocked by pfBlockerNG go here to die. pfBlockerNG is setup as a DNS based network AD blocker. So if it sees a request to or from a website on one of my lists it forwards those DNS queries to 10.10.10.1 which goes absolutely no where. Since the DNS queries cannot be resolved to a website the AD is effectively blocked.

I don't do it that way. I put external DNS' under General Setup and then use firewall rules to block via the blacklists. Sites that are blocked are resolved to 10.10.10.1 and show a 1x1 pixel when tried via a browser.

Edited by joelones

can you share your pfBlockerNG settings please, particularly the DNSBL and general tab.  I think your DNS servers are the problem

I use the same package and I don't have the pfblocker dns setting in my general/DNS page.  If I remember rightly, the only change you need to make outside of the pgBlockerNG pages is to ensure DNS resolver is enabled....

What happens if you change the DNS servers to OpenDNS (208.67.222.222/208.67.222.220) - can you ping?

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, ijuarez said:

That's why I asked, I don't use pfBlockerNG.

Personal note, stay away from google dns and use open nic or open dns

Originally that is exactly what i had. The only reason that unfortunate DNS is even in here is due to the  "Reset your modem / router or try again later, or set your DNS Settings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 Also make sure that you have a Gateway address set up." message given at the fix common problems plugin. I was trying to give unRaid the most direct rout to the outside world.

10 minutes ago, ijuarez said:

ok, what do your firewall logs say?

I have not checked the logs. Honestly i am not 100% sure where to find them yet.

9 minutes ago, DZMM said:

can you share your pfBlockerNG settings please, particularly the DNSBL and general tab.  I think your DNS servers are the problem

I use the same package and I don't have the pfblocker dns setting in my general/DNS page.  If I remember rightly, the only change you need to make outside of the pgBlockerNG pages is to ensure DNS resolver is enabled....

What happens if you change the DNS servers to OpenDNS (208.67.222.222/208.67.222.220) - can you ping?

Going to try the DNS Settings Next.

DNSBL.png

8 minutes ago, sentein said:

Originally that is exactly what i had. The only reason that unfortunate DNS is even in here is due to the  "Reset your modem / router or try again later, or set your DNS Settings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 Also make sure that you have a Gateway address set up." message given at the fix common problems plugin. I was trying to give unRaid the most direct rout to the outside world.

I have not checked the logs. Honestly i am not 100% sure where to find them yet.

That's the plugin suggestion, virtually all network help on the webs always has you test with google dns because they always work. I think @DZMM has a better answer. Also try changing the DNS servers.

Edited by ijuarez
hit the submit too early
12 minutes ago, DZMM said:

Results look Promising

PING github.com (192.30.253.113): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.30.253.113: icmp_seq=0 ttl=53 time=27.433 ms
64 bytes from 192.30.253.113: icmp_seq=1 ttl=53 time=28.330 ms
64 bytes from 192.30.253.113: icmp_seq=2 ttl=53 time=28.046 ms

--- github.com ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 27.433/27.936/28.330/0.374 ms
14 minutes ago, DZMM said:

your settings page was the same as mine.  Don't know why you had the pfblockerng address in general - I just have a NAT rule that was auto-created that forwards anything to 10.10.10.1 to the designated ports.  https://www.fredmerc.com/2016/07/pfsense-adblock-using-pfblockerng-guide/  good guide 

For the LAN/VLAN that your unraid server is on add a ICMP rule like this:

5ab3c4c550f4b_FireShotCapture73-woody.the-shepherds.com_-https___woody.the-shepherds.com_firewall_rules_php.thumb.png.37ae196f2e1dcfb0b5dd73dfdc036b2b.png

Hot Dang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This got both servers working.

You guys are all amazing. I know this was not a pfSense forum so i am sorry for the stupid question. There was only so much i was willing to try by reading and breaking it. Thank you guys so much!!!!

2 minutes ago, DZMM said:

have you seen my post about creating a firewall rule?

No i have not. If you can, could you please link it? So if anyone has this issue again it shows up on their radar?

PFlogs.PNG

Thank you very much. This will come in handy as well.

Edited by sentein
added info and thank you.
3 minutes ago, sentein said:

Hot Dang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This got both servers working.

You guys are all amazing. I know this was not a pfSense forum so i am sorry for the stupid question. There was only so much i was willing to try by reading and breaking it. Thank you guys so much!!!!

No probs.  I've pulled together pfsense stuff I've found useful here 

You definitely should go over the nguvu.org Guides - if you follow it, it'll give you a rock solid foundation to build on