(SOLVED) Data Rebuild not completing

Hi there,

I'm using unRaid 6.4.1, with a Pro license, 1 parity drive, 10 data drives and a cache drive.

Recently I replaced a 4TB parity with an 8TB, which worked perfectly. Procedure I used was to remove the old drive, plug in the new one and chose the new parity and let it rebuild parity.

I wanted to use the old parity drive to replace an old 1TB data disk. So after the parity rebuild completed I shut down the array again, removed the 1TB data drive and plugged in the old 4TB. I did not run pre-clear on it. When unraid started up it said the 1TB was missing and I chose the now unallocated 4TB and it started up the array, marking the drive as emulated and started a data rebuild, with an estimated time of about 24 hours.

The problem is, it's been running for 17 hours now, and for at least the last 4 hours, the percentage complete has not changed. It looks like it's been stuck at these values for the last 4 hours or more:

Total Size: 4TB

Elapsed time: 17 hours (this one is increasing)

Current position: 1.42 TB (35.4 %)

Estimated speed: 59.8 MB/sec

Estimated finish: 12 hours

The 'Writes' column in the Main device list is also not increasing anymore, staying at 2,983,484, and reads at 45.

I have activity LED's on my hot-swap bay and can see the drive's light is staying on, even though none of these values are increasing.

The log file is showing a WRITE DMA failure, followed by a hard reset of the SATA link for one of the controllers, not sure how to tell which drive that relates to.

So now I'm not sure what I should do. Should I let it run for a few more hours, or should I try to restart the array?

Edited by AndreM

Thanks for replying Johnnie. Is there a specific file you want to see? The Diagnostic output includes much more information than I feel comfortable sharing publicly (such as details of VM's, port mappings, ip addresses, docker processes and so on).

Thank you. I chose the anonymized option, but I still feel there's unneeded personal information. A few examples I spotted while going through the files just now were log entries for the cache mover naming full paths of files it's moving, lsof output showing port numbers and ip addresses and process listing showing full process command lines. I'll log this as a feature request, but it's obviously not going to help me right now :-)

6 minutes ago, AndreM said:

log entries for the cache mover naming full paths of files it's moving

You can disable mover logging. Settings - Scheduler - Mover. Disabled is the recommended setting and I think also the default for new installs.

As I mentioned, ip addresses should be local and so not really a security issue. I often find them useful when suggesting what to try when a user can't find their server on their LAN.

And I can imagine some of those other things being useful in trying to help someone diagnose their problems. Many can't find any of that stuff out for themselves without a lot of back and forth, including getting them to a point where they can even work with the command line.

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

Assuming you aren't (you shouldn't be) putting your server on the internet any ip addresses are local to your LAN.

Of course, and the server is not accessible directly, but some VM's are accessible and the diagnostic information does reveal a lot about my internal network if someone gained access in some other way. It wasn't quite expecting to be discussing the support diagnostics in this post though! :-)

I believe this issue resolved itself. I waited a while longer and noticed an entry in the log file: 

md: sync done. time=62278sec

md: recovery thread: completion status: 0

The webui is still showing only 35% completion, making me think that the webui broke somewhere and stopped updating. I'll confirm that when I can restart the server.

PS: As suggested, I created a post in the feature request forum section regarding the diagnostic output.