More granular control for support Diagnostics

I would like to request the option to choose what goes into the Diagnostics that's created, or a way to encrypt certain portions of it and only sharing that with specific people.

I recently had a support issue and was asked to provide the support diagnostics. After generating it and going through the output I was reluctant to share it in it's entirety publicly. Likewise, other users were reluctant to help me unless supply the whole diagnostic output.

Specifically the output that concerned me was:

The mover log (when enabled) writes to the syslog, and the syslog is included, containing the full paths of files that are moved. Perhaps the mover log could be written to another file and selectively included? I realise you can disable mover logs, but by the time you need to generate the diagnostic output it's probably too late to disable the mover log.

The lsof output reveals a lot about your local network, such as which IP addresses and ports are listening for services and active connections. Even though the unraid server itself might not be accessible from the internet some of the VM's might be and this was not information I was willing to share as it reveals a lot about the local network, including remote connection IP addresses. I understand that networking information can be useful for troubleshooting certain types of problems, but it's not always the case for all problems.

The process list contains the full command lines for all processes also revealing a lot of information about what you're running on the system, including processes inside of dockers. This also includes ports that could be public facing (for example, a bittorrent port specified on the commandline, which you also have open on the internet)

The vars output includes the serial numbers of drives, making them traceable .

The config/disk output contained usernames for the permissions (this was masked in the shares output)

11 hours ago, AndreM said:

I realise you can disable mover logs, but by the time you need to generate the diagnostic output it's probably too late to disable the mover log.

You don't want the mover log in a separate file - possibly you want the mover log to anonymize all information except source and target disk.

But since disk issues normally happen when the drives are in use, you want the mover lines interleaved with the other syslog lines.

• Upvote 1