Tunable Disk Settings

Hi there can anybody please tell me the optimal tunable disk settings for my server. Thanks 

M/B: Supermicro - X10SRA-F

CPU: Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2683 v3 @ 2.00GHz

Memory: 32 GB Multi-bit ECC (max. installable capacity 512 GB)

Cache: 1TB Samsung 850 Evo

Drives: 1x8TB Parity, 10x8TB Array, 9x4TB Array

• 7 months later...

I saw this script, but with it only having been updated 5 years ago and a few major tunables added/removed (Inside and outside the gui) I didn't want to assume it would work on the latest version of unraid (potentially giving tunables that are no longer relevant)...Does anyone know if the script is still relevant/usable for the latest version of unraid?

• 6 months later...
On 11/7/2018 at 10:46 PM, bsim said:

I saw this script, but with it only having been updated 5 years ago and a few major tunables added/removed (Inside and outside the gui) I didn't want to assume it would work on the latest version of unraid (potentially giving tunables that are no longer relevant)...Does anyone know if the script is still relevant/usable for the latest version of unraid?

All the tuneable options are right in the GUI, so I would think if they didn't matter LT wouldn't have included them there. I wish I knew enough coding to make this script work with the latest version of unraid. Would be nice to have the optimal settings. 

On 3/23/2018 at 5:52 AM, spencer785 said:

Hi there can anybody please tell me the optimal tunable disk settings for my server. Thanks 

M/B: Supermicro - X10SRA-F

CPU: Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2683 v3 @ 2.00GHz

Memory: 32 GB Multi-bit ECC (max. installable capacity 512 GB)

Cache: 1TB Samsung 850 Evo

Drives: 1x8TB Parity, 10x8TB Array, 9x4TB Array

What controller are you using?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 12:01 PM, opentoe said:

All the tuneable options are right in the GUI, so I would think if they didn't matter LT wouldn't have included them there. I wish I knew enough coding to make this script work with the latest version of unraid. Would be nice to have the optimal settings. 

Hey, so I was poking around these forums looking for performance optimisations and this script seemed like the bees knees.  I got it to work on Unraid 6.7.0 by doing the following:

Open a root command window (console) in your favourite way.

type the folowing

root@yoursever:~# ln /usr/local/sbin/mdcmd /root/mdcmd

Then run the script as per normal.

Notably I'm getting some errors and I haven't bothered to fix them as it doesn't seem like they matter because I'm getting the output I need. Hope this helps you out.

I'd be interested if it works for you anyway - I got the following report with a Dell H310 card flashed in IT Mode:

674047986_ScreenShot2019-06-02at11_34_45.thumb.png.2b1912d30880aea4d9138bd7d4be6aba.png

That was the fast test, this was the normal test.  I have of course drives connected to the Dell H310 and the onboard SATA, so not sure what that does.

2130776928_ScreenShot2019-06-02at12_07_16.thumb.png.db0ea798e22b29a9631088de6e132a78.png

Saving doesn't work obviously (tried that) but you can enter them manually.  I assume that sync_thresh in Unraid is the same as sync_window in this script.

3 hours ago, Marshalleq said:

My googling isn't working to tell me what the difference is - there doesn't appear to be a GUI option for the sync_window that I can see, so not really sure why it would be provided.

I found this explanation:

On unraid 6.3.5 there are options for the following, so I imagine they are still there in later versions:

md_num_stripes

md_sync_window

md_sync_thresh

What disappeared was md_write_limit.

Here is explanation of the older tunables:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hey unRAIDers!!

So, it's now, 2020; can anyone offer any advice as to whether or not the tunables script is to be trusted on unRAID v6.8.3? I was able to get the update from the link that @Squid provided working via cli (sort of) with errors; thanks to the post from @Marshalleq (example below):

/usr/local/sbin/mdcmd: line 11: echo: write error: Invalid argument
Test 1   - md_sync_window=384  - Completed in 601.464 seconds =  96.6 MB/s

The final "Best Bang for the Buck" results show the following...

On my production box (Supermicro [I suspect either] AOC-USAS-L8i, [or] AOC-USASLP-L8i)

Current in disk.cfg   |      New Setting
    -----------------------------------------------
     md_num_stripes="4096"  | md_num_stripes="1536"
     md_write_limit=""  | md_write_limit="768"
     md_sync_window=""  | md_sync_window="640"

Not Saved. Exiting.

and my backup box (2 Dell H310s):

Current in disk.cfg   |      New Setting
    -----------------------------------------------
     md_num_stripes="4096"  | md_num_stripes="1280"
     md_write_limit=""  | md_write_limit="768"
     md_sync_window=""  | md_sync_window="384"

Type SAVE (uppercase) to modify disk.cfg

Not Saved. Exiting.

Any input, thoughts, etc. are much appreciated!! I feel like this is a message in a bottle, but I hope someone will respond soon. :) Thanks in advance!

Edited by Joseph
grammar
2 hours ago, Joseph said:

So, it's now, 2020; can anyone offer any advice as to whether or not the tunables script is to be trusted on unRAID v6.8.3?

No, v6.8.x uses a different engine, and it should mostly auto-tune, though there are some known issues for very large arrays, usually with 24+ devices.

8 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

No, v6.8.x uses a different engine, and it should mostly auto-tune, though there are some known issues for very large arrays, usually with 24+ devices.

@johnnie.black Thanks for the quick reply! I'll set all values to default then... fwiw, I'm running 20 drives in the array (incl. dual parity), also raid 1 cache on my production box and a few devices outside the array, so it sounds like I might be pushing it? Lemmie know. Thanks!!