SMB Problems Since 6.5.0

Hello,

Since upgrading to 6.5.0, my SMB shares are not accessible from any of my Windows, Linux, or Android machines. I have rebooted server and clients, I can ping the server from the windows machines.I have tried disabling then enabling SMB. I don't know where else to go, I would appreciate any help/ideas you guys have. Thanks!

tower-diagnostics-20180323-0833.zip

Edited by ChadwickTheCrab
Forgot some additional details

Let's get a few questions out of the way right now.   

1--  Have you set your unRAID to allow it to become the Local Master?

2-- You should have installed the Dynamix Local Master  plugin.  Does it indicate that your unRAID server is the Local Master?  IF not, what computer is the Local Master?

3--  Have you run Scottie's  LANscanner from a client computer to determine what it thinks is the Local Master?  You can find it here:

https://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/how-to-determine-the-master-browser-in-a-windows-workgroup/

I caution that this is a download from the Internet but I have used it several times on the past few years and never had an issue with it.  And it has been around for years so it should be safe unless the site got hacked.  In fact, I usually run it directly from the .ZIP file using 7-ZIP.

44 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Let's get a few questions out of the way right now.   

1--  Have you set your unRAID to allow it to become the Local Master?

2-- You should have installed the Dynamix Local Master  plugin.  Does it indicate that your unRAID server is the Local Master?  IF not, what computer is the Local Master?

3--  Have you run Scottie's  LANscanner from a client computer to determine what it thinks is the Local Master?  You can find it here:

https://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/how-to-determine-the-master-browser-in-a-windows-workgroup/

I caution that this is a download from the Internet but I have used it several times on the past few years and never had an issue with it.  And it has been around for years so it should be safe unless the site got hacked.  In fact, I usually run it directly from the .ZIP file using 7-ZIP.

1. I never explicitly set it as the local master. SMB just worked. I checked the setting and it was set to yes.

2. I just installed the local master plugin and it looks like the unRAID server is already the local master.

3. I ran this utility and got error 53 the network path was not found.

I haven't tried safe mode yet but I can try when I get home from work.

Edited by ChadwickTheCrab
Missed a prior suggestion.
20 minutes ago, ChadwickTheCrab said:

I ran this utility and got error 53 the network path was not found.

Basically, it seems like SMB is working on the server.   Can you see any other computer or device using the utility?  (I believe you may have to setup the other computers to share some directory.  If you are really paranoid  about security, setup a folder/directory to share filled with some junk you don't care about.)   One of the things which has happened recently is that security on SMB has been tightened on both the Windows (particularly on Win10)  and Samba ends.  As a result, some of the 'sloppy' setups that used to work suddenly don't work.  Have you setup networking on your windows machines to specify the workgroup environment that you want.  (Start with Right clicking on  Computer  and selecting  Properties  and then setup the computer name and workgroup name.)

You can also go to    Control Panel   >>>    Network and Sharing Center     >>>  Advanced sharing settings  for more setup options.  Be sure that you have Network discovery turn on  

What is puzzling me at this point what is happening on the Linux end...

You can also google the error message you got and look at those discussions.  

3 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Basically, it seems like SMB is working on the server.   Can you see any other computer or device using the utility?  (I believe you may have to setup the other computers to share some directory.  If you are really paranoid  about security, setup a folder/directory to share filled with some junk you don't care about.)   One of the things which has happened recently is that security on SMB has been tightened on both the Windows (particularly on Win10)  and Samba ends.  As a result, some of the 'sloppy' setups that used to work suddenly don't work.  Have you setup networking on your windows machines to specify the workgroup environment that you want.  (Start with Right clicking on  Computer  and selecting  Properties  and then setup the computer name and workgroup name.)

You can also go to    Control Panel   >>>    Network and Sharing Center     >>>  Advanced sharing settings  for more setup options.  Be sure that you have Network discovery turn on  

What is puzzling me at this point what is happening on the Linux end...

You can also google the error message you got and look at those discussions.  

I see my other shares on other windows machines fine. They show up in the file manager when I go to the network. They're all on the same workgroup. Like I mentioned, everything was fine until recently and it's only the unRAID shares that are inaccessible. I consider myself pretty competent with networking and this is stumping me. I think my next experiment is reverting to 6.4.1.

18 minutes ago, ChadwickTheCrab said:

I see my other shares on other windows machines fine. They show up in the file manager when I go to the network. They're all on the same workgroup.

and

1 hour ago, ChadwickTheCrab said:

3. I ran this utility and got error 53 the network path was not found.

are puzzling me as you should have gotten an output that looked like this:  

Capture.JPG.0012986738998c5b587583066f02117b.JPG

Did you run it from a computer where you can see the other computers on the network?   

Edited by Frank1940
5 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

and

Did you run it from a computer where you can see the other computers on the network?   

Yeah that's what's so bizarre. On another forum I found a command "net view [ip address or hostname]" and I get error 53 when trying my unraid server, but I'll get a list of SMB shares if I try it with my windows machine IP. I also just reverted to 6.4.1 and it didn't fix the problem.

5 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

and

That LAN Scanner utility does say this on their site:

UPDATE (30 Jan 2018): ** LAN Scanner no longer works on Windows 10 1709 and above. **

24 minutes ago, ChadwickTheCrab said:

UPDATE (30 Jan 2018): ** LAN Scanner no longer works on Windows 10 1709 and above. **

That is an important clue!!!!!   Read this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046019/guest-access-smb2-disabled-by-default-in-windows-10-server-2016

and  this

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/68193-windows-10-does-not-see-unraid-server-in-network-browse/

35 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

I tried enabling SMB 1.0. Still don't see it listed among the other networked PCs. Remember I can't browse the SMB shared on my linux machines either. On the Linux machine I can browse my windows shares perfectly fine. I really think the issue is with the unRAID machine.

51 minutes ago, ChadwickTheCrab said:

a fresh OS install.

unRAID isn't like Windows, where people sometimes resort to a clean install because they haven't been able to fix something.

unRAID installs the OS into RAM, clean and fresh from the archives on flash, on each boot. It then applies the settings you made in the webUI. And you already rolled back, so unless you have made changes in the webUI, it should be working exactly as it did before you upgraded to 6.5.

So I would be surprised if a new install would accomplish anything.

Looked at your diagnostics again. You have the statistics sender plugin installed. Probably not the problem, but that plugin has no purpose without the preclear plugin, so you should uninstall it.

Last time it was mentioned you said you hadn't tried SAFE mode yet. How about now?

12 hours ago, trurl said:

unRAID isn't like Windows, where people sometimes resort to a clean install because they haven't been able to fix something.

unRAID installs the OS into RAM, clean and fresh from the archives on flash, on each boot. It then applies the settings you made in the webUI. And you already rolled back, so unless you have made changes in the webUI, it should be working exactly as it did before you upgraded to 6.5.

So I would be surprised if a new install would accomplish anything.

Looked at your diagnostics again. You have the statistics sender plugin installed. Probably not the problem, but that plugin has no purpose without the preclear plugin, so you should uninstall it.

Last time it was mentioned you said you hadn't tried SAFE mode yet. How about now?

Uninstalled statistics plugin and restarted into safe mode. Still not showing up and not accessible via \\192.168.1.7 from any of my devices.

I don't know if it's relevant but a few weeks ago the system was acting wonky at one point. Through poking around I saw my flash drive was completely full. I discovered the dynamix file integrity plugin had filled the flash drive with log files. I deleted the log files and uninstalled that plugin. Would anything odd like this be caused when the system drive gets full?

2 hours ago, trurl said:

You might try putting it in your PC and letting it checkdisk. If it looks bad you could try backing up your config folder, then prepare it as a new install and copy your config folder back. That will keep all of your settings intact including dockers and VMs.

That fixed it! I created a new boot media with 6.5.0 and copied my config folder back over and I can see my shares again. Thank you @trurl and @Frank1940 for all your help. This community is awesome! I'm so happy I don't have to configure anything from scratch.