Storage drives not detected (Solved)

Odessa

Unraid version 6.5.0

"Fix common problems" plugin installed, nothing else.

First time Unraid user with fresh install and 12-bay Supermicro server. I followed the official getting started videos, including the BIOS configuration, notably SATA configuration set to AHCI mode.

When my server boots up, it shows all of my connected HDDs in the SATA controller boot screen (screenshot attached)

However, none of my HDDs are available to assign in the Array Devices section in Unraid web UI under "Main". The only available option is my SSD which is connected directly to the motherboard SATA3. It seems that Unraid does not detect my storage devices attached to the SATA controller.

Hardware:

• Motherboard: X9DRi-LN4F+
  • SATA controller: LSI 9260-4i 512MB With BBU 6GBPS
  • 5 HDDs attached to SATA controller > backplane
  • 1 SSD, 256GB attached directly to mobo sata3
  • CPUs: 2x Xeon E5-2690 2.9Ghz
  • RAM: 24GB DDR3
  • Server chassis: Supermicro CSE-826E16-R1200LPB

Very excited to get this up and start pre-clearing drives for a big data transfer. I thought I did my homework with the hardware and setup so I may just be missing something obvious.

Help appreciated! Thank you.

medusa-diagnostics-20180324-1648.zip

LSI-bootup.jpg

Bad news, that card is a RAID-controller, not a HBA (Host Bus Adapter), so it won't work like that. unRAID might show one drive, if you create a RAID array in the bios of the card (I've never done that, so I'm not sure), Best thing would be to buy a HBA instead.

From what I can read in the manual, is that your chassis uses the standard SFF-8087 connections, which means almost any HBA can be connected to it. If it uses the SFF-8484, which looks like sata-cables then I'm not entirely sure, I found some supermicro-sff-8484 use non-standard cabling, so I hope that isn't the case.

Anyway, almost any LSI/Avago/Broadcom HBA adapter should work, (lSI was bought by Avago and then Avago was bought by Broadcom). When you find one, google the name and HBA, and see what it says. Also, for HBA's there is IR and IT firmware. the IR is for raid, and IT is for Initiator-target, which is what you want. So, if your first result says its an HBA, then google the name and IT firmware, and if that also gives a result, it should work.

The list is great, but it is far from incomplete, so some extra steps for checking may be required if you do get one from that list. For example, (some of) the supermicro-cards on that list drop drives for some people and are no longer recommended.

TL;DR: 1) Make sure it is an LSI/Avago/Broadcom HBA 2) Make sure it has or you can flash IT-firmware to it 3) Make sure your backplane has SFF-8087 and you can find a cable that can connect to your motherboard and/or HBA and that.

Sounds good! And looking at the specifications, I find out it uses the SAS2308 controller, which I happen to have in my server as well, so I can confirm myself that it does work with unRAID!

One last safety thing, when you get it, don't connect drives to it, or only drives that are empty so you won't lose any data. Then, start up unRAID, and check the log. It should have a line saying (or something similar so search for LSISAS2308):

mpt2sas_cm0: LSISAS2308: FWVersion(20.00.07.00), ChipRevision(0x05), BiosVersion(07.39.02.00)

Currently, thats the latest one If it has FWversion 16 something it'll work fine (although you can of course also flash it), the older ones from the 20-series of firmware had some bugs, so you'll want to flash the latest firmware and bios to it, which you can download from the download-page on your link.

Archived