Access user shares remotely

Hi, 

I am in the process og migrating from a Qnap system to unRaid.
For transferring files (up to 15GB each), I am used to use FTPS on the Qnap.
Besides, I have used FTPS for setting up KODI for remote sources.

As far as I understand, the built-in FTP server in unRaid is of no use, as it gives access to all folders and is quite insecure to expose externally.
I have looked into VPN, but it seems like a cumbersome step for tech-novices to setting it up just to download a file or watch something on Kodi. Besides, others should not have access to the entire home network and it's devices.

1)
How can friends access the files on unRaid - both in terms of downloading and uploading files?

2)
Any way to Access the user shares  remotely through Kodi?

3)
How is user access rights maintained for remote share access?
Ideally, setting access to specific user shares and specifying read/write access.

Edited by Ctofte

if you don't want to open ports, look into tonido. It allows creating user accounts and file upload/download. Not sure how it would be accessed by kodi remotely since it uses a web interface (maybe use webdav on remote client to mount as a drive...) It's also very easy to use/implement. 

Otherwise you can setup a reverse proxy or other more complicated methods.

Opening ports is not an issue - it is currently what I have done using the Qnap and it's FTP server.
But I have not yet found a reliable method for a FTP server on unRAID, accessible to outside.

Webdav is supported by Kodi, so it could be a solution. Though, I have not used it before, so unsure of whether I would need webdav to be supported directly from unRAID? If that is the case, which docker / plugin need to be setup?

In terms of reverse proxy, what solutions are you thinking of?
I have already setup the NGINX reverse proxy for PLEX and other dockers running.

The solution should provide an easy way to add/remove users to the shares, so I can keep the access restricted.