SORT the disks listed in the unassigned drive pull-down list

Lev

With a large number of unassigned disks, the list in the pull-down menu when assigning them can be quite long. There does not appear to be any logical order to how the disks are listed. Any logical order would be an improvement.

Unless there's a better sort method preferred by the developers, seems like the list would be in ascending order of the disk letter, example: sdb, sdc, sdd...

@bonienl @Squid just FYI if this is something to add into the on-going GUI improvements.

I think I would prefer that it sorts on serial so similar drives ends up beside each other - the sda, sdb, ... name depends on in which order the kernel detects the drives so is often not a good sort order unless you already happen to know that you want "sdh" based on something you have read in some log file.

I made a update which does the following sorting (grouping) of devices

1. Sort on disk size. Largest disks first

2. Within same disk size, sort on disk model. This groups same vendor + model together

3. Within same disk size and same disk model, sort on name assignment (sdX).

image.png.db5fe976eec6daa508819f2b4193890f.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, bonienl said:

I made a update which does the following sorting (grouping) of devices

1. Sort on disk size. Largest disks first

2. Within same disk size, sort on disk model. This groups same vendor + model together

3. Within same disk size and same disk model, sort on name assignment (sdX).

image.png.db5fe976eec6daa508819f2b4193890f.png

Nice improvement.   Should perhaps step 3 be on serial number rather than I’d as (although rare) id’s can vary on a reboot whereas serial number will not.