Cache Trim Failing? ("FITRIM ioctl failed: Remote I?O error") (SOLVED)

1 hour ago, mihcox said:

Thanks for this, do i just boot into the LSI, then run this from there and it should be fine?

No, you need to boot the EFI shell via UEFI. Format your USB to FAT32 and put the shell on the root of the device then boot the shell, there should be an option in the bios to do so.

https://superuser.com/questions/1057446/how-do-i-boot-to-uefi-shell

NOTE: Prior to proceeding with the firmware downgrade, please review the differences between MBR and UEFI boot mechanisms and review how you can boot an EFI shell.

Edited by ezhik
  • 6 months later...

Added 9211-8i to the list.

Instructions:

# latest release that supports TRIM is P16 (as of 2021-01-30)
# check if trim works
fstrim -v -a

# reboot into EFI Shell:
shellx64.efi

# full erase of controller bios and firmware:
sas2flash.efi -o -e 6

# flash the controller firmware WITHOUT bios, replace $controller with your model
sas2flash.efi -o -f p16\$controller_it.bin

# flash the controller firmware WITH bios, replace $controller with your model

sas2flash.efi -o -f p16\$controller_it.bin -b p16\mptsas2.rom

# NOTE: For unRAID you'd be better off without the BIOS (you do not need to boot from it, nor do you need to configure anything).

# verify you are now running P16 firmware (the bios should say N/A if not installed)
sas2flash.efi -listall

--
Cheers.

--

@blakeslade, please see above for 9211-8i.

lsi-flash-efi-20210130.zip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • 1 month later...

@JorgeB @ezhik

Is the 9207-8i P16 firmware still the only firmware that allows for trim with the latest mpt3sas driver in UNRAID 6.9.1? Or have they decided to allow it again in the driver?

Ezhik - Have you noticed any issues with the P16 firmware e.g. stability, data corruption etc? I understand it has been about 2 years since you started using the P16 firmware on the 9207-8i controller so if anyone can answer this question it would be yourself haha :)

If not, does anyone have any recommendations on a good controller that supports TRIM?

2 hours ago, Solverz said:

@JorgeB @ezhik

Is the 9207-8i P16 firmware still the only firmware that allows for trim with the latest mpt3sas driver in UNRAID 6.9.1? Or have they decided to allow it again in the driver?

Ezhik - Have you noticed any issues with the P16 firmware e.g. stability, data corruption etc? I understand it has been about 2 years since you started using the P16 firmware on the 9207-8i controller so if anyone can answer this question it would be yourself haha :)

If not, does anyone have any recommendations on a good controller that supports TRIM?

Q: Is the 9207-8i P16 firmware still the only firmware that allows for trim with the latest mpt3sas driver in UNRAID 6.9.1? Or have they decided to allow it again in the driver?

A: Have not tested it out, but you are more than welcome :)

Q: Have you noticed any issues with the P16 firmware e.g. stability, data corruption etc?

A: I am still rocking P16 firmware on 9207-8i and 9201-16i, haven't noticed any corruption, but then again - I don't open every file all the time and therefore - so far so good.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1
On 3/11/2021 at 6:18 AM, Solverz said:

I've been running P16 on multiple controllers for ~6 months, including my main array and two ZFS pools (SSD and SAS disk).  ZFS pools have checksums for all data, the pools are scrubbed regularly.  No issues encountered.

• Thanks 1
On 3/10/2021 at 10:03 PM, ezhik said:

Q: Is the 9207-8i P16 firmware still the only firmware that allows for trim with the latest mpt3sas driver in UNRAID 6.9.1? Or have they decided to allow it again in the driver?

A: Have not tested it out, but you are more than welcome :)

Q: Have you noticed any issues with the P16 firmware e.g. stability, data corruption etc?

A: I am still rocking P16 firmware on 9207-8i and 9201-16i, haven't noticed any corruption, but then again - I don't open every file all the time and therefore - so far so good.

Cheers.

8 hours ago, ConnectivIT said:

I've been running P16 on multiple controllers for ~6 months, including my main array and two ZFS pools (SSD and SAS disk).  ZFS pools have checksums for all data, the pools are scrubbed regularly.  No issues encountered.

Ahh that's great news then! That reassures me that the P16 IT firmware should be fine for use, I am going to flash it now and install the controller in my system.

Can finally move my SSD's from the petty 3Gbps onboard sata ports to 6Gbps using the 9207-8i controller on the P16 IT firmware.

Appreciate you both sharing your expereince using the P16 It firmware, I am sure many will read these posts which will help others make their decision :D

So I just checked this after updating to 6.9.1

Two 9207-8i's on P16 firmware. All my SSDs TRIM fine, except for my 850 Evo.

Something something zeros after discard? I remember reading this as a reason for issues with Samsung drives, can't find specifics at the moment though.

Moved it to one of the motherboard ports and it TRIMs fine again. 

Haven't tried with P20 fw as of yet.

2 hours ago, -Daedalus said:

So I just checked this after updating to 6.9.1

Something something zeros after discard? I remember reading this as a reason for issues with Samsung drives, can't find specifics at the moment though.

I have 860's, no issues:

root@u4:~# dmesg -T|grep -i 'lsi'
[Sat Mar 13 12:48:52 2021] mpt2sas_cm0: LSISAS2308: FWVersion(16.00.00.00), ChipRevision(0x05), BiosVersion(07.31.00.00)

root@u4:~# dmesg -T|grep -i 'samsung'
[Sat Mar 13 12:48:52 2021] ata5.00: ATA-11: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB, *, RVT03B6Q, max UDMA/133
[Sat Mar 13 12:48:52 2021] ata6.00: ATA-11: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB, *, RVT03B6Q, max UDMA/133
[Sat Mar 13 12:48:52 2021] scsi 5:0:0:0: Direct-Access     ATA      Samsung SSD 860  3B6Q PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
[Sat Mar 13 12:48:52 2021] scsi 6:0:0:0: Direct-Access     ATA      Samsung SSD 860  3B6Q PQ: 0 ANSI: 5

root@u4:~# fstrim -v -a
/etc/libvirt: 8 GiB (8588054528 bytes) trimmed on /dev/loop3
/var/lib/docker: 63.3 GiB (67954708480 bytes) trimmed on /dev/loop2
/mnt/cache: 874.8 GiB (939358191616 bytes) trimmed on /dev/mapper/sdf1

Edited by ezhik
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, -Daedalus said:

Will not work at all on P20 firmware.

fstrim on P16 only works if SSD supports deterministic read zero after trim (for samsung 8xx, this is from 860 onwards).  Described well in this post:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/84156-lsi-9211-8i-and-trim-support/?do=findComment&comment=779516

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Digging this up to say that I recently bought a 2TB Samsung 970 EVO for a Nextcloud cache, and had totally forgotten that my Dell PERC H310 didn't support TRIM until I received the "fstrim: /mnt/ssd2tb: FITRIM ioctl failed: Remote I/O error" email from Dynamix SSD TRIM yesterday morning. While my onboard SAS port does support TRIM, it only has 2x SATAIII ports, with the others being SATAII - and the two SATAIII ports are already taken up by the 2x 850 EVO SSDs in my (regular) cache pool.

So, a very big thanks to @ezhik for their work finding out that P16 works well, as well as providing a copy of the firmware and flashing instructions! After some nail-biting to-and-fro trying to flash the card (getting errors when I tried flashing it in my server - it erased fine, of course though lol - but then it worked when I used my desktop PC), I'm now running P16 and TRIM runs without error.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...

Just wanted to add that I ran into this same error.  I have QTY 2 9207-8i cards with the p20 firmware and my fstrim was failing.  I downgraded them both using the files provided in this thread.  I also found the instructions at the link below to be extremely helpful in describing what to do once I got into the efi shell as this was the first time I had used an efi shell.

https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/how-to-flash-lsi-9211-8i-using-efi-shell.50902/

• 6 months later...

So my home built server for 6 plus years has finally given out.  I replaced it with a Dell Power Edge T430 with a MD1200 expansion.  I am using HBA and I am having 2 issues:
1. twice now the system stopped acknowledging my USB ports
2. I now receive the following: fstrim: /mnt/cache: FITRIM ioctl failed: Remote I/O error

I've read about downgrading the firmware for the fstrim issue - but was wondering if anything has changed since the post in 2021.  Also were to start with the USB driver issue or at least I think it is a driver issue.

I can supply logs, but just need to know best place to start the research to fix.  I told my wife the NEW system was going to be a breeze to setup... wishful thinking on my part 🤬😡😠

17 hours ago, Mystic said:

but was wondering if anything has changed since the post in 2021.

No, and I don't expect the LSI SAS2 models to receive more firmware updates since they are considered legacy, SAS3 models do support trim (for devices with deterministic trim support)