Advice: Changing Hardware - Adding Drives

DieFalse

I just finished building my threadripper build with SAS card in my hotswap case.   I now have more 4tb drives to add.  Since I have the extra hot-swap bays, I don't want to remove any existing drives but I do want to move my 2tb to the end of my config.

My question is,  do I shutdown, move drives then boot up and move all drives around, or do I new config, shutdown, then move over?

What is the best way?

I have removed all data from all drives other than the first 3 drives (4 counting parity) and their location will not be changing.

3 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Not clear to me if you want to move the drive assignments or just move backplane slot, to move assignments you need to do a new config, you can check parity is already valid if using single parity, to move slot you don't need to reconfig, just move slots around.

1,  New Case, New SAS Controller (all new hardware minus drives) (new motherboard, processor, sas controller)

Move 12 Drives from old case to new case sliding the last 4 drives to end of available slots.

Add 4 new 4tb drives where the old 2tb was that are now at the end of the controller.

1 - Parity 4tb

2 - 4tb

3 - 4tb

4 - 4tb

5 - 4tb

6 - 4tb

7 - was 2tb now new 4tb

8- was 2tb now new 4tb

9- was 2tb now new 4tb

10- was 2tb now new 4tb

11 - now 2tb

12 - now 2tb

13 - now 2tb

14 - now 2tb

15 - 512gb ssd cache

16 - 512gb ssd cache

Do a new config just with the original drives (including cache devices) in the new locations, leaving slots 7 to 10 for the new 4tb drives empty, check "parity is already valid", start the array, stop the array, add the 4 new drives, start the array, new drives will be cleared and need to be formatted when clearing completes.

On 3/26/2018 at 5:38 PM, johnnie.black said:

Do a new config just with the original drives (including cache devices) in the new locations, leaving slots 7 to 10 for the new 4tb drives empty, check "parity is already valid", start the array, stop the array, add the 4 new drives, start the array, new drives will be cleared and need to be formatted when clearing completes.

Everything went great!  Thanks for the assist. 

Archived