nvidia GT1030 passthru code 43 problems in Windows 10 VM

I had a VM working for the most part with onboard Intel graphics, but could never get sound working.  After asking for help, and not getting any responses, I figured onboard audio just isn't working, and I bought a new card (again).

Trying to use this card in the same VM results in error 43, which I believe is something to do with nvidia not liking VM's.  I further read the solution is to dump your card bios and point to that in the setup.  Well, the setup lets me drill down to the folder with the dump file, but doesn't actually show the file for me to select, and I can't select just the folder it's in, so I had to manually type the path to the dump /mnt/user/backup/msi1030.dump.  This didn't help me at all.

I suspect I've got the wrong machine type, version, bios or combination.

I can't seem to find any basic guide on which of these 3 work correctly together to get a working machine.

Can anyone provide a basic starting point for getting an nVidia card passed thru to Windows 10 with working drivers?

Finally, if I need to create a new VM with different settings, can it still point to the otherwise working VM, or am i installing from scratch again?

I can't help with dumping and using a vbios for a graphics card as I have never had to do this. I have 3 GPU's plus the onboard GPU which unRaid uses.

However, you can just create a new VM and try to get that one starting up properly and then use your old vdisk either by moving it to your new folder for the VM or by changing the path in the XML to point to it.

I have never tried passing through the Intel GPU and sound either so I am no help there. It seemed like it was to new and experimental to go through the hassle.

My MB is very similar to yours. Are you using legacy bios or EFI? Legacy bios has been working just fine for me so I don't have any reason to change it.

The problem is that I don't know what machine type, bios and version to use to get it working.  Some combinations let the VM start, but give error 43, others don't let the VM start.  Others let the VM start, but windows is too 'corrupted' to use without reinstalling from scratch.

I had 2 windows VM's both running separate nvidia video cards and never had this issue.  One of them died and the other isn't good enough to process UHD, so I've had to change.  I don't know if it's the newer card or something else, but I've spend 8+ hours messing about, and am nowhere closer than when I started.

I'm probably just going to have to start completely from scratch and install windows 10 and all my programs from new once again, but even knowing I'l have to do that, it'll still be an hour or 2 before the install is far enough to see if I still get the error 43, and since I don't know what's causing it, I just don't want to spend that time to get right back to where I am now.

I don't think i need to dump a bios, I never had to before.

So, is there ANYONE that has a 1030 card, or a newer nvidia card that has a working windows 10 VM w/passthru and no errors that is willing to simply provide their setup for me to try to copy?

I've looked for any kind of guide which is recent and reflects the new changes to the setup system, but found nothing useful.

I'd really like it if @jonp, or someone from LimeTech could chime in on what's been tested to work, and maybe put out a recent guide or even short post with the basics to get this working.  Both for video cards and onboard, which looks like it's all part of the system now, but which doesn't seem to work at all.  SUPER frustrating that I bought another card because the onboard didn't work, and I'm still spinning my wheels wasting time looking for bits of info scattered all around.

• 1 year later...
On 3/27/2018 at 2:16 PM, JustinChase said:

The problem is that I don't know what machine type, bios and version to use to get it working.  Some combinations let the VM start, but give error 43, others don't let the VM start.  Others let the VM start, but windows is too 'corrupted' to use without reinstalling from scratch.

I had 2 windows VM's both running separate nvidia video cards and never had this issue.  One of them died and the other isn't good enough to process UHD, so I've had to change.  I don't know if it's the newer card or something else, but I've spend 8+ hours messing about, and am nowhere closer than when I started.

I'm probably just going to have to start completely from scratch and install windows 10 and all my programs from new once again, but even knowing I'l have to do that, it'll still be an hour or 2 before the install is far enough to see if I still get the error 43, and since I don't know what's causing it, I just don't want to spend that time to get right back to where I am now.

I don't think i need to dump a bios, I never had to before.

So, is there ANYONE that has a 1030 card, or a newer nvidia card that has a working windows 10 VM w/passthru and no errors that is willing to simply provide their setup for me to try to copy?

I've looked for any kind of guide which is recent and reflects the new changes to the setup system, but found nothing useful.

I'd really like it if @jonp, or someone from LimeTech could chime in on what's been tested to work, and maybe put out a recent guide or even short post with the basics to get this working.  Both for video cards and onboard, which looks like it's all part of the system now, but which doesn't seem to work at all.  SUPER frustrating that I bought another card because the onboard didn't work, and I'm still spinning my wheels wasting time looking for bits of info scattered all around.

Hey @JustinChase did you managed to get this working? I've tried several posts around here and space invader's videos and no chance with this exact same gpu

Edited by renk1
added stuff
13 hours ago, renk1 said:

Hey @JustinChase did you managed to get this working? I've tried several posts around here and space invader's videos and no chance with this exact same gpu

Sorry, no @renk1.  I never was able to get it working, but also, I have not tried since shortly after I wrote that, so it's very possible it will work now.  If you end up being successful, I'd love to hear about it, as I'd still like to get this working someday.