Search Within a Forum/Topic/Thread

Gico

I remember that there was an option to search within a specific forum/topic/thread,

but now all I can see is the global search at the right top of the screen, and it doesn't have this functionality.

Am I missing something?

Any other option to search within a forum/topic/thread?

Thanks.

• Upvote 2

This is global a search through the entire community.

I don't see any option to select a Forum, so obviously not a subforum or a thread.
That's not an effective search.

I have a question regarding a specific docker container.

I won't read the entire support thread to search for a specific issue,

and without a good search I might ask a question that already been answered.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Gico said:

This is global a search through the entire community.

I don't see any option to select a Forum, so obviously not a subforum or a thread.
That's not an effective search.

I have a question regarding a specific docker container.

I won't read the entire support thread to search for a specific issue,

and without a good search I might ask a question that already been answered.

Yes, it's global, as I mentioned in my post.

The other option is to use Google to search on this site. Google search is good enough that it doesn't matter very much if Google has to search on all forum content.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

+1 - Really need a way to search within a thread. Otherwise, I can't be arsed to read 100 pages of thread, and I'll just start a new thread or re-ask a question that has been asked before.

Members can't really reply with "search the thread" when someone asks the same question 1000's of times as there is no search within thread.

Please allow searching in threads. 

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, jj_uk said:

Really need a way to search within a thread. Otherwise, I can't be arsed to read 100 pages of thread, and I'll just start a new thread or re-ask a question that has been asked before.

google search works fine for the unraid forum.

add site:lime-technology.com to the search terms you want to find.

I know tone is hard to read online, but your post makes me want to help you less, knowing that you value your time more than all the other forum members. It sounds like you are so important that you deserve personal attention instead of trying to find the info yourself.

Sorry if that's not what you meant, but I spend a fair amount of time on here trying to help people, and I prefer to help people who put in the time to read what others have written and still need help or clarification rather than just posting a new thread about what has been discussed many many times over in the specific support thread. It's usually not necessary to reread 100's of pages, typically only the newest 5 or 10 pages have good info.

I was trying to emphasise what (generally) happens in forums, exasperated when there is no search facility; I used 1st person so as not to be speaking of others; From experience with other tech-based forums, I see people ask the same questions over and over in the same threads, and in new threads, to the point where i'm just like, 'read the thread' or 'search the thread', 'read the FAQ', 'read the sticky' etc which then offends people as it looks like I don't want to help, because i'm just repeating myself over and over each time I visit. Adding a google custom search to the forum is fairly trivial and would be a really great help when looking for something specific. Most forum searches omit terms with <= 3 chars, e.g. CPU, GPU, RAM, VM, IMU, etc. which is where the forever repeated questions arise.

3 hours ago, jj_uk said:

For a quick way to search the forum in chrome, this plugin (no affiliate) seems pretty useful.

thanks for your link! and according to topic search - i think it's possible with this extension too, just turn on advanced option where you can select site sub-directory..

At least I know I'm not crazy. Ever since the move to the new forums I've found it definitely harder to navigate. But not being able to search for a keyword in topics with hundreds of pages really makes finding information next to impossible. I hate asking questions that have already been answered and much rather find the answer for myself but not having search is terrible.

Further more I found a interesting way to search a thread if the forum didn't allow it was to click the printer friendly button and then the topic becomes one page which you can use ctrl + f on. Problem is this new forum also removed the printer friendly button.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

I'd like to add my +1 to OP's request of searching within a thread.  This feature is very useful when one needs to limit searches to a specific thread with many pages worth of replies.  Usually these threads are for specific CA plugins where the plugin author interacts with the community and provides support.  Because this forum is formatted to have replies broken up into multiple pages, it makes this type of feature needed when compared to other social media sites that are used for technical support, like reddit or stackoverflow, which displays all replies to a thread within a single page and allowing the user to use the browser's find function as necessary.

One of the selling points of unRAID despite the lack of official support is the large community that has surrounded it.  The removal of this feature is a blow to community interaction.  I'd love to see it return one day, hopefully soon.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm not trying to be rude, but I'll try to be honest. Right now I'm evaluating the software on a 30 day trial. One of the selling points (I've been told) versus something like snapraid is the support. I found a topic on theses forums that I'd like to learn more about, specifically using the gtk thin client with the binhex-deluge-vpn docker. There are 139 pages in this thread. As far as I can see, there is no way to search the thread for my keyword. I've been searching a page at a time for 20 minutes, taking a break and repeating. This is extremely off-putting. I've seen bootstrap crappy forums that have the capability to search a thread. If it weren't for the reputation you've built within the communities that I frequent, this would have been a the final straw for me. I hope someone that works for lime-technology reads this. Thanks.

• Upvote 2
On 7/25/2018 at 5:49 AM, Bob1215 said:

I've been searching a page at a time for 20 minutes, taking a break and repeating.

Wow, no wonder you find that off-putting. But you know goggle is the most powerful search engine out there, more people should really spend more time learning what googles search commands can do for you in a search.

There's a bunch of helpful powerful commands you can put in your google search. The number one command all should learn is the "site:" command. Which does exactly what you want, it searches the site you want and not all the internet.

I never use the search function on any web page, I always use google.. If you want to search this thread for key words you just   put "site:https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/70511-search-within-a-forumtopicthread what you want to search for" whitout quotes and that's the equivalent of "search within a forum/topic/theard

If you use google for your standard search engine it's really simple to copy the webadress in the adress bar, hit ctrl+t for a new tab, type site:"hit ctrl+v" to paste then type what you want to search for. It litteraly takes 2 seconds.. I bet it would take that 2 seconds or even more to use a built in search on any web page. Most bulit-in search functions  on sites are just crap anyway. Google FTW, I mean, search is what they bulit their emperium on...

If you have used the internet in the last 10+ years you should really know how to search the internet.. So for all you out there saying you need a search function to not sit for hours to search every page of a site, I suggest you search google for "useful google search commands" or "how to use google search". This will not only help you, but the whole internet! Thank you!

That's great and all, and google is helpful.  But there used to be a search box at the top of each thread. Type in search term, hit enter. Not sure why we have had to go back in time.

Also google search is definitely not better then all forum searches. Better then some yes, but some forums have much better laid out results.

Edited by bnevets27
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 years later...
7 hours ago, thellamapaul said:

Picking this back up, has anything changed in the last 5 years to support this? I'm looking through 82 pages of the Unbalanced thread and losing my mind

Can you clarify ?

If you mean about the initial question

On 3/28/2018 at 11:57 AM, Gico said:

Any other option to search within a forum/topic/thread?

Then yes, this is available.

image.thumb.png.dd0c380fa9b8856e1640b9a81483f590.png

How well it works, I can't say.