USB Backup

When I make backups of my Flash Drive, I always stopped the array first.  This made sure that the bit in one of the configuration files was set so that, on restart, a parity check would not occur.  (Basically, to make a backup, I stop the array, copy all of the files on the Flash Drive to a folder on my PC, and label that folder to indicated unRAID version and date of the backup.)

Does anyone know if the built-in backup option has provision to set the 'successful shutdown' bit in the backup?    

2 minutes ago, John_M said:

I would think it probably doesn't though I don't know for sure but in the circumstances where you need to recover from a backup of your boot device you might well want to do a parity check anyway and in any case you can always cancel it.

I asked about this when this was first implemented and limetech responded that it would probably result in a parity check.

I don't think it's good with a backup that claims the array was safely stopped.

This means that if someone has a power outage and then can't get their machine to boot and decides to restore their backup will get unRAID to incorrectly skip the parity step

It's way better that a backup restore forces an additional parity scan.

4 minutes ago, pwm said:

I don't think it's good with a backup that claims the array was safely stopped.

This means that if someone has a power outage and then can't get their machine to boot and decides to restore their backup will get unRAID to incorrectly skip the parity step

Good observation!  It is probably best that a backup made by an automatic process would force a parity check on a reinstall.  My question was asked because a parity check automatically starting would often result in a thread asking about "What is wrong/going on?".   If those off us who try to help realize that this is a normal condition, we can calm the situation by telling the OP that is is normal and, if it finishes without an error, everything is fine.  If the check results in some corrections, everything is most likely OK but advise him to watch for anything unusual.

3 hours ago, Lien1454 said:

Hi,

I was looking for  way to make a 1:1 copy of the usb key in windows to be able to boot from it?

2 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

You just need to copy/paste all the files from one to another, make sure the label is UNRAID and run makebootable.

@johnnie.black is correct, that will make you a bootable flash drive but it won't run!  But, as I said earlier,  you still will need to update the .key file in the config folder/directory.  That file is tied to the GUID number that is a unique to the flash drive.  You can read about the procedure to do that here:

https://lime-technology.com/replace-key/

• 7 months later...

When I tried to do a copy by going to Main - Boot Device - Flash - Flash Device Settings and clicking on the Flash backup, I got this error: 

Creation error

Insufficient free disk space available

My USB drive has 340 MB is use and 3.6 GB free.

I'm running 6.6.1 

Any idea?

5 minutes ago, fvidal said:

When I tried to do a copy by going to Main - Boot Device - Flash - Flash Device Settings and clicking on the Flash backup, I got this error: 

Creation error

Insufficient free disk space available

My USB drive has 340 MB is use and 3.6 GB free.

I'm running 6.6.1 

Any idea?

How much RAM do you have?

Don't reboot. Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip to your next post.

That isn't going to be enough RAM to do the backup apparently. All of the Unraid OS and its working files are in RAM.

You will have to take the flash to your PC and copy it, or you could share it on the network and copy it that way.

Can you add RAM? Even as NAS-only V6 may give you other problems with so little RAM.

• 7 months later...
On 11/23/2018 at 4:29 PM, trurl said:

That isn't going to be enough RAM to do the backup apparently. All of the Unraid OS and its working files are in RAM.

You will have to take the flash to your PC and copy it, or you could share it on the network and copy it that way.

Can you add RAM? Even as NAS-only V6 may give you other problems with so little RAM.

I have two unRAID setups with 4GB of RAM. And I get the same creation error. But I've had no problems with the v6 OS and using the unRAIDs as Network Attached Storage.

53TB unRAID2--49TB unRAID3--45TB unRAID1a

Edited by aaronwt