Another UPS question.

If the UPS is big enough and if you run apcupsd then you can run one apcupsd on every machine and have the the machines get UPC state information over the network from the master apcupsd  - but you would want the machine with the master connection shut down last.

15 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

You don't just 'want it', you have to have it!     9_9

It’s not a ”must have”, cool yes but not needed. USB will work, it will be the “master” server that connects to the other servers and initiates the power down, it’s not done by the UPS.

Just remember that the router and switch need to be on the UPS as well.

Edited by Leifgg
48 minutes ago, Leifgg said:

It’s not a ”must have”, cool yes but not needed. USB will work, it will be the “master” server that connects to the other servers and initiates the power down, it’s not done by the UPS.

Just remember that the router and switch need to be on the UPS as well.

Don't understand what you mean. We said the network had to be on the UPS for master/slave to work, and you said not needed, but the router and switch need to be on the UPS.O.o

Thanks for all the input. So it is possible but how exactly? Current ups is connected direct via usb. How does subsequent server connect exactly? And, a supplementary if i may, still ups related. I've just pulled the power to test the ups. It switched just fine but, and here's the problem, the server powered down aok but NOT within the values i'd set in ups settings. I had it set to 60%, 40mins and 0 secs but it just went, well within those values as i was watching. Is there a considerable lag within the refresh rate and unraid reporting the values? Any ideas on that one as well. My windows10 vm 'seems' ok still. How would i check for an unclean vm shutdown? As you can see i'm just a novice, but willing to be educated!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, superloopy1 said:

Thanks for all the input. So it is possible but how exactly? .......   As you can see i'm just a novice, but willing to be educated!

Here is a link to the manual.  Time to begin your education.  

www.apcupsd.org/manual/manual.pdf

Edited by Frank1940
2 hours ago, trurl said:

Don't understand what you mean. We said the network had to be on the UPS for master/slave to work, and you said not needed, but the router and switch need to be on the UPS.O.o

Sorry I misunderstood, I was assuming you meant that the UPS itself needed to have an Ethernet interface… :$

2 hours ago, trurl said:

Yes - since all the supplied machines will be up on UPS power after a power loss, they need the switch also on UPS to be able to get proper information from the master apcupsd.

If the network isn't on UPS, then the machines would need some other way to figure out that they are running on battery power and are expected to shut down.

The UPS itself doesn't need networking - most intelligent APC UPS have can use a USB cable to the master machine.

You need one machine connected to the UPS.  it also connects to the network and acts as master as far as UPS interfacing is concerned.  The other(s) connect via the local network and are set up as slaves.  You need to keep the network powered from the UPS as well while the servers are running - so router and / or switches at least should also be connected. 

Read up on APCUPSD master and slave configuration.  It has also been covered a few times on this forum.  This thread has some useful info....

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28261.msg250988

1 hour ago, superloopy1 said:

My windows10 vm 'seems' ok still. How would i check for an unclean vm shutdown?

If you set up apcupsd in slave mode on all your VM's, you can (and must) set your VM to shutdown well before unraid itself is going to go down. Then you don't have to worry about your VM getting killed.

BTW, your 40 minute time on battery is WAY too long. I would start your power fail shutdown cascade at a few minutes, tops. Maximum I would be comfortable with would be 5 minutes for all slaves, to make sure they get fully shut down, and then 10 minutes for the master. Keep in mind that your timeout is when the shutdown process starts, you want a generous amount of battery if shutdown takes longer than anticipated, and you don't want the batteries to drain below 50% after everything is done. Recharge takes a rather long time, and deep discharges hurt battery life significantly.

If you need your equipment to be up during an outage, you need a backup generator, as well as a UPS. Consumer UPS's are meant to bridge the short gap of a minute or two, then allow an orderly shutdown after saving your work. UPS's rated for long term outages are several thousand US$.