Cannot upgrade from 6.3.5 to anything...

I am attaching the contents of the flash drive (click on link) as I see nothing that tells me why its not working. In the meantime, I can still run the server using 6.3.5.

When I boot up on the 6.5 version the first time, it works, subsequent boots fail and lock up at the same spot every time. 
/usr/sbin/rsyslogd -i /var/run/rsyslogd.pid

(see attached pic)

I get the same exact failure on 6.4 and 6.4.1.

The server is: Supermicro 24 Bay Chassis
Chassis Manufacturer:  Supermicro
Backplane: SAS846TQ rev. 3.1
Motherboard: H8DME-2 rev 2.01 A
Processor: 2x Six-Core AMD Opteron 2.6GHz 2435
RAM: 80GB  4x4GB, 8x8GB
# Power Supplies: 2 x 900 W
HD Controller: 3x SAT2-MV8 rev 3.x
Hard Drives : 12x 3TB, 2x 2TB

Any ideas would be appreciated. I'd really like to be able to run some of the newer plugins and app that require 6.4 or higher.

I emailed support, they told me to ask you first. 

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

Rottonpeech

20180321_204956.jpg

EDIT: Updated server specs

Edited by Rottonpeech
12 hours ago, John_M said:

There's no information from which to attempt a diagnosis, other than what looks like a faulty USB device. Have you tried your USB boot flash in all available sockets? You might want to try unRAID 6.5.1-rc3 instead of 6.5.

I have, and as I mentioned, it works fine in 6.3.5.

I am not sure what other information I can gather as it seems the the logs are blanks at this point in the boot sequence. Is there a way or place to find the rest of the output to the screen for the rest of the boot?

It may be important to note that this server only has 2 USB ports. I am not sure where the serer is getting usb1-port10 from, unless its just an override in the boot process to ensure that all possible ports are turned up.

With regards to trying the rc3, is this really advisable since the 6.4 and 6.4.1 also do not work?

Are those USB ports, you mentioned, USB2 (Black plastic inserts) or USB3 (Blue plastic inserts)?   The reason is that there have been other reported issues with booting from some UBS3 ports.  I suspect that the remaining ports USB1 through USB10 are on motherboard headers.   IF the two ports are USB3, you might have to get a USB2 header.  You can find them for use inside the case or on a rear panel bracket for rear access.  

You might also try a Goolge search by specifying  terms like----  unRAID, Supermicro, not booting, MB_model, etc.   

4 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Are those USB ports, you mentioned, USB2 (Black plastic inserts) or USB3 (Blue plastic inserts)?   The reason is that there have been other reported issues with booting from some UBS3 ports.  I suspect that the remaining ports USB1 through USB10 are on motherboard headers.   IF the two ports are USB3, you might have to get a USB2 header.  You can find them for use inside the case or on a rear panel bracket for rear access. 

older server, only usb 2.0 physical ports. I do see some 9pin connectors on the Mobo that say USB next to them, so perhaps thats where its coming form, but there are not 10 of them. only 4 i can locate on the Mobo, and the 2 in back (total of 6).

Chassis Spec Sheet: http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/846/SC846TQ-R900B

Mobo Spec Sheet: http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron2000/MCP55/H8DME-2.cfm

HDD Controller Spec Sheet: http://supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-SAT2-MV8.cfm

IPMI Spec Sheet: https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/AOC-SIM1U.pdf

Edited by Rottonpeech
1 minute ago, Rottonpeech said:

You might also try a Goolge search by specifying  terms like----  unRAID, Supermicro, not booting, MB_model, etc.   

I actually did this a lot before agreeing to buy this server. From what I was able to find, there shouldn't have been any issues. :-\

1 hour ago, Rottonpeech said:

older server, only usb 2.0 physical ports. I do see some 9pin connectors on the Mobo that say USB next to them, so perhaps thats where its coming form, but there are not 10 of them. only 4 i can locate on the Mobo, and the 2 in back (total of 6).

Chassis Spec Sheet: http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/846/SC846TQ-R900B

Mobo Spec Sheet: http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron2000/MCP55/H8DME-2.cfm

HDD Controller Spec Sheet: http://supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-SAT2-MV8.cfm

IPMI Spec Sheet: https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/AOC-SIM1U.pdf

Each motherboard connector will be 2 USB ports.    That means you have 8 ports on the internal connectors and 2 external giving the 10 ports being reported.

Each motherboard connector will be 2 USB ports.    That means you have 8 ports on the internal connectors and 2 external giving the 10 ports being reported.
Spec for the mobo only states 6 usb, there are fan headers for usb 2-5 internally alongside the sata connectors. I'd be inclined to buy a female fan header, a couple if quids, and try one of those internal usb2 connectors. My SM flash runs off an internal usb. Doesnt explain why previous versions DO boot but would seem a logical place to start at cheapest cost.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

According to the Specs, All of the USB ports are 2.0 complaint.  Are you on the latest BIOS?  There have been a fair number of reports of folks who are unable to boot to versions beyond 6.3.5.  I believe all having been using older MB's.  (Apparently, there has not been any magic bullet solution to the problem EXCEPT to upgrade the MB.  I can recall that at least of couple of folks who went that route...)  

Edited by Frank1940
4 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

According to the Specs, All of the USB ports are 2.0 complaint.  Are you on the latest BIOS?  There have been a fair number of reports of folks who are unable to boot to versions beyond 6.3.5.  I believe all having been using older MB's.  (Apparently, there has not been any magic bullet solution to the problem EXCEPT to upgrade the MB.  I can recall that at least of couple of folks who went that route...)  

Yeah, the Mobo is the lastest and greatest version.  im starting to worry that im gonna be stuck with 6.3.5 and never be able to use the utilities that no longer support the lower version. i.e. Unassigned Devices

I have one suggestion.  Download the version that you want to run and install it on a new Flash Drive.   Now see if it will boot from that Flash Drive.  Report with the results.  (At the point, you are not trying to get a running system, but trying to see if the problem still exists on a virgin OS setup.) 

One more thing with the current flash drive to try is that during the boot sequence, try the OS GUI Mode boot option.  

for S&G (and because my friend mentioned it) i pulled ALL 3 of my SATA cards... 6.5 booted successfully!!

plugged one back in... still success!!

Plugged in the next, failed..

i thought, ok, unplug the failed card, and plug in the third... success!

So, it must be a bad card i thought...

i rearranged my drives to not use the card that was bad, and rebooted... sucess???? NOPE!! FAILED AGAIN!!

So, i started thinkin.... that SATA card was fully populated with seagate drives. (didn't i read a post somewhere about people being really pissed off at seagate drive? but i digress)

removed the seagate drives, booted successfully again!

The Seagate Drives in question are Constellation ES.3 SED.

Are there any know workarounds for this?

SOLVED - moved the 4 Seagate drives to the mobo instead of the SATA cards, and viola! i'm able to run 6.5 now.

Many thanks to all who helped me here, and to my friends in this side of the keyboard who tolerated my incessant whining until this was fixed!

Persistence pays off again

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk