** VIDEO GUIDE ** How to securely autostart an encrypted unRAID array

OK so, we've figured out the server is receiving the keyfile. By adding "cp /boot/keyfile /root/keyfile" to the go file, and having the keyfile on the flash

But she's telling me its the wrong encryption password.

So, i remade the file in kate. No luck

Remade in gnome text editor, no luck

Remade using cat > keyfile, no luck

Tested contents of file by copy pasting into webGUI, unlocks. Its not the passphrase, its not the file being in the wrong place, its the file itself.

Don't know if its an option or not, but I know someone said they used a picture as their keyfile, and i know its possible to use seperate passphrase and keyfiles. So can it be done? Can i just setup the array to use something else as the keyfile? And unlock with either the random keyfile (a random file) OR the passphrase?

Am i missing something when i make the keyfile? Saving the file as "keyfile" no extention or anything. Should i just give up?

Edited by 7hr08ik

YES!!!!
YYYYYEEEEAAAAASSSHHHH!HH!!!!!!!!

DID IT!!!!!

F*%& Yeah!"!!!

It was the EOL.

Googlefu - https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/254644/how-do-i-remove-newline-character-at-the-end-of-file

Fix

perl -pi -e 'chomp if eof' myfile

Not a clue, but it worked. Started looking for ways to strip EOL from files, found this, it worked. Now to fight with android and ftp :)

Edited by 7hr08ik
14 minutes ago, limetech said:

Now you want to download your plaintext passphrase to a file?

LOL.

Like many things in life, security is a continuum with many degrees. For some, the only reason to use encryption is to be able to safely EOL old drives or RMA bad drives without worrying about where those drives end up.

At the other end of the spectrum, you have people that shut down and lock their system every time they finish using it, only entering a long passphrase from memory at the immediate point of use and only unlocking it to do the immediate operation at hand.

You can't please both sets of people at the same time.

Where you want to set the default mode is up to you. Full paranoia mode is no fun, but neither is getting your system hacked.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, 7hr08ik said:

Does this mean the keyfile unlock method will be getting phased out?

Absolutely not.  Here's how it works.  There are two ways to specify an encryption key:

1. Using a passphrase.  In this case what you type is exactly what will be used for the key, without any newline at the end (because did you type a newline? No).  The max length for a passphrase is 512 bytes (characters).  As specified in the Help, "It is highly advisable to only use the 95 printable characters from the first 128 characters of the ASCII table."  A passphrase is meant to be some kind of string that you commit to memory and type in following server reboot.
  2. Use a keyfile.  Whatever contents are in this file are what is used for the key.  The max length used from a keyfile is 8192 bytes.  Since contents are in a file, each byte can take on any value.  Often one would use a file with random binary data.  If the specified file is greater than 8192 in length, only the first 8192 bytes comprise the key.

If you use a passphrase, whatever you typed is not stored in a file, though it is kept in memory.

If you use a keyfile, then file uploaded data is written to /root/keyfile and it stays there for as long as sever has power.  There is a button in webGUI that lets you delete the file if you want.  But then each time you Start array you will have to upload file again, and then presumably delete again.  Using a keyfile lets you specify a far stronger key, but onus is on you to delete the file.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...

(Finally!) Just following the video for encrypting drives one at a time, given I still have enough space.  But my SAS drives exposed through my LSI Card in IT mode don't appear on the unassigned devices. Previously confirmed here: 

So i suppose I have to get my hands a little dirty in the terminal? #scary

Are their any resources I can be pointed to, or advice given for doing this?

I presume its the same as the tutorial except i use the terminal to wipe the partition data of the drive i need to format (with wipefs?) after all the data has been shifted off it with unbalance?  

• 6 months later...

Hey guys!

Can someone maybe help me?

I managed to create the keyfile by myself and it works to encrypt my array by uploading the keyfile to unraids gui - so I guess the file itself is fine.

(But it is never shown up in the flash drive - like in the video - guess because of newer Unraid version)

But autostart doesn't work because the file will not be downloaded at all while booting the server (at lest I Dont see in boot sequence). I have no idea why. I just used the command from Space Invaders Video and added it to the go file.

First I tried this:

wget --ftps-implicit --user=MYNAME --password='MYPASSWORD' ftps://FTPPROVIDER.com/keyfile -O /root/keyfile

then this:

wget --user=MYNAME --password='MYPASSWORD' ftp://FTPPROVIDER.com/keyfile -O /root/keyfile

Are there any permissions to set before? Or network? Any ideas why this doesn't work?

I am using IPMI for if this could matter.

For some reason now I got more than one "Go" file:

• go
  • go.save
  • go.save.1

Thank you for your help!

• 6 months later...
On 11/13/2020 at 11:38 PM, Mor9oth said:

Hey guys!

I managed to create the keyfile by myself and it works to encrypt my array by uploading the keyfile to unraids gui - so I guess the file itself is fine.

(But it is never shown up in the flash drive - like in the video - guess because of newer Unraid version)

But autostart doesn't work because the file will not be downloaded at all while booting the server (at lest I Dont see in boot sequence). I have no idea why. I just used the command from Space Invaders Video and added it to the go file.

First I tried this:

wget --ftps-implicit --user=MYNAME --password='MYPASSWORD' ftps://FTPPROVIDER.com/keyfile -O /root/keyfile

then this:

wget --user=MYNAME --password='MYPASSWORD' ftp://FTPPROVIDER.com/keyfile -O /root/keyfile

Are there any permissions to set before? Or network? Any ideas why this doesn't work?

• go
  • go.save
  • go.save.1

Thank you for your help!

what message do you get in terminal ?, must be something why will not take the key

• 2 years later...
On 11/14/2020 at 12:38 AM, Mor9oth said:

Hey guys!

First I tried this:

then this:

• go
  • go.save
  • go.save.1

Thank you for your help!

I also have this problems with home ftp via asus router. My router only support explicit TLS and only working with no TLS. Maybe you should check ftp provider if there is no problem. Unraid also don´t like self signed certificate. And the go file i dont know maybe its only backup? I got one go.backup besides original go.