Unable to Increase / Change the size of a VM Image File

Just updated to V.6.5.0 and started rebuilding my VMS after an SSD Install.

On the VM tab, ive attempted to increase the disk1.img file for one of my VM's from 20G to 30G, but this is failing.

No error is displayed, but a blank screen with the following URL displayed:

http://tower/VMs?subaction=disk-resize&uuid=fa9bea59-7b21-5e14-7f9b-f5f0566007f9&disk=/mnt/user/VDISKS-CACHE/Windows10/vdisk1.img&oldcap=20G

I've tried refreshing the screen in both EDGE and IE.  No joy on either.

Has anyone else experienced the same and know of a workaround / fix?

The disk already has the OS installed. Just need to be larger for an upgrade :-(

• 1 month later...

If you're running unRAID v6.5.2, then the resize function will work in the GUI.

Here is the command to do it if you want to do it via the command line:

fallocate -l 100G "/mnt/user/Windows 10/vdisk1.img"

Change the 100G to the size you need and the path to your vdisk image. Note that you should only be increasing the size as decreasing it can cause problems.

Edited by GHunter

I am trying to figure this out as well. 

The post that @GHunter linked to is not showing up.

I am 6.5.2 

12 minutes ago, GHunter said:

Change the 100G to the size you need and the path to your vdisk image. Note that you should only be increasing the size as decreasing it can cause problems.

I am not seeing the resize function in the gui

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

8 minutes ago, Squid said:

If it's a Windows VM, you can have it so that it always takes up the exact space required instead of continually growing until it hits the max.

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/51703-vm-faq/?tab=comments#comment-557606

Nowadays it is a little easier :)

unRAID 6.4.1 and later supports "SCSI" as disk driver, selecting this driver type creates the necessary XML entries as explained in your link, it requires adding of discard='unmap' though as the only manual change.

2 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Nowadays it is a little easier :)

unRAID 6.4.1 and later supports "SCSI" as disk driver, selecting this driver type creates the necessary XML entries as explained in your link, it requires adding of discard='unmap' though as the only manual change.

I know.  Johnnie hasn't updated the entry.  But it still would work.

@GHunter thank you.. Clicking on it worked for me.

I am trying to figure this out as well. 

The post that @GHunter linked to is not showing up.

I am 6.5.2 

On 5/21/2018 at 5:51 AM, GHunter said:

I am not seeing the resize function in the gui

• 7 months later...

I've both converted my main vdisk1.img to SCSI and grown it from 50G to 100G. Still boots. (yay!)

Thing is, the 50.00 GB Unallocated is separated from my C: partition by an 843MB OEM partition. If this was a physical PC, I'd boot into GParted and wail away at it. It's not. Any suggestions for shuffling Windows partitions within an .img?

I'm not sure what documentation would be helpful, but I'm happy to provide anything that might help.

1 hour ago, hominid said:

Thing is, the 50.00 GB Unallocated is separated from my 😄 partition by an 843MB OEM partition. If this was a physical PC, I'd boot into GParted and wail away at it. It's not. Any suggestions for shuffling Windows partitions within an .img?

Sure, boot into GParted and have at it. No difference between a VM and a physical disk for this purpose.

On 12/28/2018 at 3:59 PM, jonathanm said:

Sure, boot into GParted and have at it. No difference between a VM and a physical disk for this purpose.

Well, I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing that. Didn't find anything concrete on these forums about booting from USB (on a USB controller that was passed through to the VM) aside from a brief mention of booting from a WindowsToGo USB with a GPT partition. Also, adding the gparted live .iso file as the OS install ISO copied it to the VM's directory but it didn't prioritize it over Windows 10 in the boot sequence.

Any other suggestions to get me on the right path?

• 3 months later...

I was able to clear off some files and generally avoided the issue for a few months, but just ran into the problem again. I'm sure that I could have found a way to configure booting from a specified flash drive, but found a way to do it from within the Windows VM:

https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/delete-oem-partition.html

Reporting back in case it might help anyone finding this in the future.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...
On 4/6/2019 at 9:12 PM, hominid said:

I was able to clear off some files and generally avoided the issue for a few months, but just ran into the problem again. I'm sure that I could have found a way to configure booting from a specified flash drive, but found a way to do it from within the Windows VM:

https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/delete-oem-partition.html

Reporting back in case it might help anyone finding this in the future.

Thank you so much, I'm very glad you returned and did this! It helped me out :)