Recommendations for backing up clients to unRAID over internet? (E.G.: grandparents' computers to my unRAID)

adoucette

I have some non-technical relatives who need file backup. Are there good options for allowing them to back up to my home unRAID server? (as an option vs cloud storage)

They would need file versioning, and that no one would be able to see each other's files, but that each user could view their own backed up files.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Ari

2 hours ago, uldise said:

i'm using Nextcloud on unRAID as Docker and are backing up various Windows/Linux clients over LAN and Internet too. each user has access to it's only files, file versioning is possible too..

Would you be willing to elaborate on that a little bit more?

10 hours ago, prostuff1 said:

Would you be willing to elaborate on that a little bit more?

Sure i can, just ask.. for Nextcloud install see here: https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/48383-support-linuxserverio-nextcloud/

Then i install Nextcloud sync client (https://nextcloud.com/install/#install-clients) on every machine i wish to backup. Sure, i backup some folders only, not a whole computer image.

42 minutes ago, nuhll said:

Just to be sure, nextclouds clients cant really backup a complete windows install? Just like some folders or so?

I don't know if nextcloud client apps support full computer backups. For for my purposes, I would be just fine if the clients would just back up their documents pictures etc. (I should have made this more clear in the title.)

3 minutes ago, DZMM said:

+1 for nextcloud plus it means they can access their files on the go and files are also synced between PCs.  Works perfectly for me and the versioning just saved one ofy wife's projects.

Thank you for the suggestion.

A couple questions:

1) How well does nextcloud handle syncing thousands of small to medium files? Here I'm thinking of a number of client users' "documents" and "pictures" folders and I have read there are some concerns with nextcloud's speed in handling these.

2) How does nextcloud  store the files and versioning? (i.e. as plain files in folders?)

3) Can nextcloud's file store then be synced to another unRAID server for backup using a tool like duplicati?

Thank you for any insight into these.

1 hour ago, adoucette said:

Thank you for the suggestion.

A couple questions:

1) How well does nextcloud handle syncing thousands of small to medium files? Here I'm thinking of a number of client users' "documents" and "pictures" folders and I have read there are some concerns with nextcloud's speed in handling these.

2) How does nextcloud  store the files and versioning? (i.e. as plain files in folders?)

3) Can nextcloud's file store then be synced to another unRAID server for backup using a tool like duplicati?

Thank you for any insight into these.

1. I've had no problems

2. Not sure, but I doubt it as that'd be very inefficient and versions are only available in the app so access for a normal user via a folder would be hard

3. Yes, although I wouldn't do it that way and I would let nextcloud handle the sync - setup a nextcloud share on the 2nd server and then install nextcloud app on a PC on the 2nd network and sync to the new share.

• 2 years later...

Nextcloud is great as a replacement for Microsoft OneDrive or Google Drive. For periodic backups of folders with versioning across the WAN, I've been a big fan of running Minio docker on the unRAID server and using Duplicati on the clients to back up to it. 

The argument can also be made for running a Nextcloud docker on the unRAID server instead, and either using the nextcloud app on the client or Duplicati for the folder backups. (the nextcloud server + nextcloud app option is perhaps simpler for the client end user) 

There exist great tutorials for setting up nextcloud on unRAID, such as 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUPmVZ9CgtM

Edited by adoucette

thank you. 

i think for me the duplicati route (proper backup with volume shadow copy) is the better way to go as I am more looking for weekly backup with simple file versioning and proper restore option.

My biggest scare is that my parrents will run into a some sort of ransomware and I will have a hard time restoring thier computers in a fast manner. 

Would you have any reading material for the server endpoint of Duplicati setup ? I've seen Minio docker mentioned a few times but I haven't figured out how it works and how to configure Duplicati for it.