nginx memory usage 12GB +

Happening since the upgrade to 6.5.0

If it reaches close to 99% it will freeze all dockers, but VM's continue ok.

Restarting nginx fixes it for a time but I often lose access to docker/vm icons on dashboard after restarting nginx. Not always though.

37 minutes ago, Tuftuf said:

Happening since the upgrade to 6.5.0

If it reaches close to 99% it will freeze all dockers, but VM's continue ok.

Restarting nginx fixes it for a time but I often lose access to docker/vm icons on dashboard after restarting nginx. Not always though.

In your current config, are you able to run in 'safe mode' (to prevent plugins installing)?

4 minutes ago, limetech said:

In your current config, are you able to run in 'safe mode' (to prevent plugins installing)?

I could but I'm not eager to try it. What did you have in mind?

I was thinking of to the latest beta.

It took 34 hours since my reboot for the issue to occur, I can't sit in safe mode for that long.

7 minutes ago, Tuftuf said:

I could but I'm not eager to try it. What did you have in mind?

It's possible that a plugin is installing code that is down-rev or otherwise incompatible with the running OS.  Also possible a plugin is accessing nginx in such a way that we have not anticipated.  We have several servers running and don't ever see nginx memory footprint growing in an unbounded manner.  This means there is something running on your server which is different from our servers (obviously).

10 minutes ago, Tuftuf said:

I was thinking of to the latest beta.

For unexplained issues it's always best to run the latest unRAID OS available since that is what we are running.

11 minutes ago, Tuftuf said:

It took 34 hours since my reboot for the issue to occur, I can't sit in safe mode for that long.

Maybe you only have to run long enough to see if memory is ever increasing?

44 minutes ago, limetech said:

What is a typical ballpark figure for the amount of memory you'd expect nginx worker process to use? I'm seeing around 700 MB, which is much less than @Tuftuf but it still seems quite a lot to me. I'm not running any dockers or VMs on the server I just checked. Possibly related, but possibly not, I'm seeing a lot of nginx-related error messages in my syslog about failing to allocate memory. I saw it on all three of my servers during the monthly parity check today:

I don't understand what it is trying to do that fails but I'll start up in safe mode and run another parity check and see if it continues to happen.

In my previous thread, it was around 6Gb usage, but I generally run my system close to memory limit. I've stopped a few things to avoid this issue recently, which is why I've seen larger memory usage numbers. It's grown to fill the gap.

I will update to the latest prerelease later today.

Currently, the system is providing my internet connection while I rebuild something else, trying to avoid that much downtime atm.

Just now, John_M said:

I don't want to hijack this thread in case the two aren't related but I'll update to the rc and run a parity check in safe mode and report any findings in the other thread.

I was running a parity check for 20hours of the 32hours uptime. 

For additional reference, on 6.5.1-RC2 after 8 days of uptime and taken at 98% through a monthly parity check:

Only 3 dockers running, EggDrop, NzbGets, and PyTivo.

top - 17:38:38 up 8 days,  8:42,  1 user,  load average: 1.50, 1.44, 1.44
Tasks: 445 total,   2 running, 219 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu(s):  0.2 us,  1.0 sy,  0.0 ni, 98.7 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
  PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
 5967 root      20   0   64164   3636     24 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.00  `- nginx
 5968 nobody    20   0   70912   7932   3664 S   0.3  0.0   3:08.11      `- nginx
 6015 root      20   0    9852   2872   2612 S   0.0  0.0   5:54.55  `- diskload
19360 root      20   0    4504    780    720 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.00      `- sleep
 6115 root      20   0  153508    532    112 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.00  `- shfs
 6128 root      20   0  365624  15308    612 S   0.7  0.0  81:54.38  `- shfs
 6237 root      20   0   26440  11456   2144 S   0.0  0.0  28:20.11  `- cache_dirs
19183 root      20   0    4504    732    668 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.00      `- sleep
 6676 root      20   0 2435848  51276  30932 S   0.3  0.0  23:43.29  `- dockerd

2 minutes ago, John_M said:

Do you see any nginx-related errors in your syslog, like I'm seeing?

I just searched the syslogs in my older diags but I don't see any. They are linked in the other thread in the first post.

I did see some OOM / memory errors when this occurred a few days ago but I believe they were docker attempting to write something. Can't seem to find them now.

14 hours ago, limetech said:

Also I'd urge you to use the latest 6.5.1-rc prerelease.

I still get nginx-related errors in Safe Mode. Details and diagnostics here.

UPDATE: The parity check completed successfully but my syslog has many nginx-related errors. Latest diagnostics here.

Edited by John_M
Update
  • Upvote 1

To restart nginx i've been having to use both

/etc/rc.d/rc.nginx restart

and /etc/rc.d/rc.nginx stop

Quite often checking its status will show its still running. So make sure it's really closed. It doesn't want to close gracefully :)

/etc/rc.d/rc.nginx status 

Running 6.5.1rc3 for around 12hours now, but my system is still under 50%. I think I need to be starting new dockers, checking app store using dockerhub etc before I see the memory grow. Will see how the next day or two goes.

Edited by Tuftuf
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Tuftuf said:

To restart nginx i've been having to use both

/etc/rc.d/rc.nginx restart

and /etc/rc.d/rc.nginx stop

Quite often checking its status will show its still running. So make sure it's really closed. It doesn't want to close gracefully :)

/etc/rc.d/rc.nginx status 

Running 6.5.1rc3 for around 12hours now, but my system is still under 50%. I think I need to be starting new dockers, checking app store using dockerhub etc before I see the memory grow. Will see how the next day or two goes.

thanks /etc/rc.d/rc.nginx restart worked - took me from 98% to 58% !!!!

I'm going to add that to an overnight script to stop things getting out of control

Edited by DZMM