DiskSpeed, hdd/ssd benchmarking (unRAID 6+), version 2.10.7

This looks like a great tool! I only have two systems that are running a somewhat recent version of Unraid however.  I have loaded this into both of my newer installs, 6.5.3, and 6.6.7, and I see the same thing on both...  

DiskSpeed - Disk Diagnostics & Reporting tool
Version: beta 6a

Scanning Hardware
07:30:21 Spinning up hard drives
07:30:21 Scanning system storage
07:30:34 Scanning USB Bus
07:30:40 Scanning hard drives

then it just sits there.

How long does it sit there normally, and how long normally does it take for the cool screens to appear?

Does it happen over time, what should we see as the data is being collected and the tests are running?

I may have missed something, but I did not see anything that helps in this set of posts, at least that I noticed or stuck out.

2 hours ago, electron286 said:

then it just sits there

It shouldn't take longer than a few seconds. Try manually spinning up your drives and then refreshing.

If that fails, open a telnet to the Docker app and run "lshw -c disk" to see if it gives any hints.

Edited by jbartlett

On the first system, I think the problem may be due to the controller that is in use.  It masks the drive information.  Here is the output with the serial numbers anomonized.  Running Unraid 6.5.3

# lshw -c disk
  *-disk:0
       description: SCSI Disk
       product: 9650SE-8LP DISK
       vendor: AMCC
       physical id: 0.0.0
       bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
       logical name: /dev/sdb
       version: 3.08
       serial: ********000000000000
       size: 149GiB (160GB)
       capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
       configuration: ansiversion=5 logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=512
  *-disk:1
       physical id: 0.1.0
       bus info: scsi@1:0.1.0
       logical name: /dev/sdc
  *-disk:2
       physical id: 0.2.0
       bus info: scsi@1:0.2.0
       logical name: /dev/sdd
       bus info: scsi@4:0.0.0
       logical name: /dev/sde
       size: 1397GiB (1500GB)
       configuration: ansiversion=5 logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=512 signature=03c10c2e
       bus info: scsi@4:0.1.0
       logical name: /dev/sdf
       size: 465GiB (500GB)
       bus info: scsi@4:0.2.0
       logical name: /dev/sdg
       size: 465GiB (500GB)
  *-disk
       product: Cruzer Fit
       vendor: SanDisk
       bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
       logical name: /dev/sda
       version: 1.27
       serial: ********************
       size: 14GiB (16GB)
       capabilities: removable
       configuration: ansiversion=6 logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=512
     *-medium
          physical id: 0
          size: 14GiB (16GB)
  *-cdrom
       description: DVD reader
       product: DVD-ROM SR-8178
       vendor: MATSHITA
       bus info: scsi@2:0.1.0
       logical name: /dev/sr0
       version: PZ16
       serial: [
       capabilities: removable audio dvd
       configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc

On the second system, It looks normal for what I would expect to see.  Here is the output with the serial numbers anomonized.  Running Unraid 6.6.7

# lshw -c disk
       description: ATA Disk
       product: WDC WD40EZRZ-00G
       vendor: Western Digital
       bus info: scsi@3:0.0.0
       logical name: /dev/sdd
       version: 0A80
       serial: WD-WCC*********
       size: 3726GiB (4TB)
       capacity: 3726GiB (4TB)
       capabilities: 15000rpm gpt-1.00 partitioned partitioned:gpt
       configuration: ansiversion=6 guid=dad24cf9-32fd-4f76-82ce-4141b844a1be logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=4096
       product: ST4000NM0023
       vendor: SEAGATE
       bus info: scsi@3:0.1.0
       logical name: /dev/sde
       version: GE09
       serial: Z1Z*****
       capabilities: 7200rpm gpt-1.00 partitioned partitioned:gpt
       configuration: ansiversion=6 guid=3bc3749a-8974-42e8-822a-2c8c91479016 logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=512
       product: ST4000NM0023
       vendor: SEAGATE
       bus info: scsi@3:0.2.0
       logical name: /dev/sdf
       version: GE09
       serial: Z1Z*****
       capabilities: 7200rpm gpt-1.00 partitioned partitioned:gpt
       configuration: ansiversion=6 guid=2b239099-face-4e70-87af-922b9c828b65 logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=512
  *-disk:3
       product: HUS724040ALS640
       vendor: HGST
       physical id: 0.3.0
       bus info: scsi@3:0.3.0
       logical name: /dev/sdg
       version: A280
       serial: PCJ*****
       capacity: 4859GiB (5217GB)
       capabilities: 7200rpm partitioned partitioned:dos
  *-disk
       product: Cruzer Glide
       vendor: SanDisk
       bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
       version: 1.00
       serial: ********************
       size: 29GiB (31GB)
       capabilities: removable
     *-medium
          physical id: 0
          size: 29GiB (31GB)
  *-cdrom
       description: DVD reader
       product: DV-28E-V
       vendor: TEAC
       bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
       logical name: /dev/sr0
       version: 1.AB
       capabilities: removable audio dvd
       configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc
  *-disk
       product: WDC WD1600AAJS-0
       bus info: scsi@4:0.0.0
       logical name: /dev/sdb
       version: 3A01
       serial: WD-WCA*********
  *-disk
       product: WDC WD1600AAJS-0
       bus info: scsi@5:0.0.0
       logical name: /dev/sdc
       version: 3A01
       serial: WD-WCA*********

On 6/10/2019 at 7:36 PM, jbartlett said:

It's detecting an error of some kind. The number breaks down to "Avg Speed|Min Read Speed|MaxReedSpeed" - so this particular scenario should not be possible.

Please click the "Create Debug File" link at the bottom of the page and then click on "Create Debug File".

I realized what I did wrong, I forgot to rescan the controllers after I swapped the sata cable to connect to my motherboard rather than the SAS2008 controller which is why I was getting those errors when benchmarking. 

On 6/13/2019 at 10:08 AM, jbartlett said:

It shouldn't take longer than a few seconds. Try manually spinning up your drives and then refreshing.

If that fails, open a telnet to the Docker app and run "lshw -c disk" to see if it gives any hints.

Not sure if you have had a chance to look at my reply posts yet or not.  I expect there may not be much that can be done with the one server I am running a 9650SE-8LP controller on possibly, at least not with auto-identifying the drives.  I would think it may still be possible to actually test the drives if it got past the identifying drive phase, which I think it is hanging/terminating at.

The other server I really have no idea what is happening unless there is an issue with the program not liking that controller configuration also, as it does seem to be able to properly report the drive type with the "lshw -c disk" command.

• 1 month later...

recently i was having some issues with read speed, which i fixed with the help of @johnnie.black . but then i noticed that somehow i wasn't getting good speeds from some of my files on disk2, for which @itimpi suggested me that sometimes hard drives may develop slow areas, so he suggested me to try this docker.

So then i tried ran bechmark in safe mode (no gui no plugin) and here are my results

221182221_diskspeedreport2.thumb.JPG.cbb6a6e9d115c9c3da24e734672b2fb3.JPG

graph looks fine to me but while the test was running on disk2 is was getting some speedgap error which i didn't get while it was running on disk1.

488420671_diskspeedreport1.thumb.JPG.7b6700bc5ee2e4c2eefa237396831246.JPG

so could anyone help me figure out what was that about ? is their something wrong with my disk2.

5 hours ago, Max said:

graph looks fine to me but while the test was running on disk2 is was getting some speedgap error which i didn't get while it was running on disk1.

"Speed Gap" is what I call the distance between the slowest read and the fastest read. If it exceeds a threshold (45MB by default), it retries that block. Typically, a larger gap means that the drive was being accessed by some other task which would affect the results but could also be due to the drive accessing remapped sectors or having trouble reading a given spot.

Consistent SpeedGap detections, especially in the same spot, is a sign of a failing drive. A gap of 174MB is pretty significant.

Edited by jbartlett
On 6/13/2019 at 2:08 PM, electron286 said:

On the first system, I think the problem may be due to the controller that is in use.  It masks the drive information.  Here is the output with the serial numbers anomonized.

Apologies that this slipped through the cracks. Does unRAID return the Serial Numbers for the drives?

Back in active development. Currently rewriting the Controller Benchmark where it displays a graph of each drive being read on it's own and while it and all the other drives are also being read from. Helps to identify if the controller is a bottleneck where it can't handle the full read capacity of all drives.

Next release will take this Docker out of Beta status. Controller & Drive detection seems to be fairly solid.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, jbartlett said:

"Speed Gap" is what I call the distance between the slowest read and the fastest read. If it exceeds a threshold (45MB by default), it retries that block. Typically, a larger gap means that the drive was being accessed by some other task which would affect the results but could also be due to the drive accessing remapped sectors or having trouble reading a given spot.

Consistent SpeedGap detections, especially in the same spot, is a sign of a failing drive. A gap of 174MB is pretty significant.

it was consistent on almost entire disk2, i think it was only once around 30-40% mark where speed gap didn't appear. so this mean i should add parity immediately and be prepared with another to replace it with ?

1 hour ago, Max said:

it was consistent on almost entire disk2, i think it was only once around 30-40% mark where speed gap didn't appear. so this mean i should add parity immediately and be prepared with another to replace it with ?

Assuming worst case scenario here, something is failing and you may have a limited number of reads left. What I would do is put in another 3TB drive, mount & format it using Unassigned Devices, then use MC to copy all of the files off of Drive 2 to the new drive. Then pull Drive 2 out and create a new config and assign the existing Drive 1 & new Drive 2.

3 hours ago, Max said:

i should add parity immediately and be prepared with another to replace it with ?

No. Parity is calculated on the entirety of the disk, not just the area in use. It would be much more stressful to generate parity than it would to attempt to copy just the used data area.

I would be sure any data you care about is backed up, then run a full smart test and see what the results are.

5 minutes ago, Max said:

@jbartlett @jonathanm thanks, i will copy my data to a new drive, then i will add that drive as disk2. i just can't believe they are already failing just two week ago their warranty has expired, guess im never buying seagate barracuda drive again.

It's not 100% that the drive is failing, but the symptoms point that way so the most expedient thing is to make sure you have a backup of those files before you poke the bear and possibly cause it to completely fail.

2 minutes ago, Max said:

my disk1 started to throw some error in smart test.

After you have all your critical files safely backed up, I would initiate a long smart test on all your drives, then see what the smart reports say. It's difficult to advise proper action without a full picture of your drives.

37 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

After you have all your critical files safely backed up, I would initiate a long smart test on all your drives, then see what the smart reports say. It's difficult to advise proper action without a full picture of your drives.

as you guys suggested i copied all of my important data first and tried running extended smart test on disk1 but it failed in just a matter of couple of seconds.

it sis saying that some errors occurred check smart test report. could you take a look at my smart test report and help me figuring it out.

unraid-smart-20190729-1717.zip

3 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

That disk is done, needs to be replaced.

wow that was actually my disk1 which up until yesterday was working just fine, it was my disk2 which was giving speedgap errors. in just 2 years both of my drives are dying or dead (disk1), never ever buying seagte drives again.

Btw how long does an extended smart test take, my disk2 is still going.

• jbartlett changed the title to DiskSpeed, hdd/ssd benchmarking (unRAID 6+), version 2.10.7