DiskSpeed, hdd/ssd benchmarking (unRAID 6+), version 2.10.7

On 8/14/2020 at 2:00 PM, johnnie.black said:

Those are SMR, they will only show the correct performance after being written completely at least once.

On 8/14/2020 at 9:52 PM, jbartlett said:

If you notice how the drives have a flat line? That's what the program looks for to determining if bandwidth was capped - or if it seems the drive can output data faster than the drive controller or connection can handle.

As per tee-tee jorge's comment, run a pre-clear on those drives and you should get graphs that match the trend on the Hard Drive Database

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of needing to pre-clear first. Anyway I've done that now and the graph looks the same as the Parity drive, so all good.

• 1 month later...

Hi @jbartlett,

Thanks for putting the docker together, I've got it installed on 2x unRAID boxes and 1 works fine but the other does not.

Motherboard: Asus B85M-E

HBA: H310 (flashed to LSI HBA mode)

The SSD's where originally connected to the HBA but I've moved them to the onboard SATA controller and I get the same error message. I think the SSD make/model being identical up until the last 3 digits might be the issue?

Any help would be appreciated :)

image.png

image.png

image.png

• 3 weeks later...

As a (quite genuinely humble in the light of the expertise on display here) newbie to this topic and to UnRAID in general, may I make a plea on behalf of my old and now deceased chemistry master, Mr Creighton, who would regularly throw chalk with high speed and deadly accuracy at any pupil who omitted or misapplied units.

He is turning in his grave at the use of "M" on the Y-axis and "G" on the X-axis for these drive speed charts.

-- 

Chris

Edited by bidmead
reply notification not ticked
3 minutes ago, bidmead said:

My interpretation probably isn't very relevant.

It's relevant to understand why you think it should be different. I suspect Mr Creighton would have no problem with it if he understood what

2 hours ago, trurl said:

each axis represents

What do you think M on the Y-axis means and what do you thing G (or T) on the X-axis means?

5 minutes ago, bidmead said:

a chart like this is supposed to convey information with a degree of precision.

It does convey information with an appropriate degree of precision.

I didn't come here to pick a fight. But happy to be piled on by the occupants here if that's the style of discourse. It's a kind of welcome, I suppose.

As an IT journalist I'd never get away with using T on its own to denote anything other than a metric tonne (or perhaps a tablespoon). There are well-developed conventions for describing MB/s (or Mb/s---which is it?) and TB (or Tb or TiB---which is it?) and the Internet seems to confirm that there's enough regular adherence to these conventions in drive speed charts to justify the stinging flightpath of Mr Creighton's chalk in the direction of fuzzy units.

John Bartlett's done some really excellent work here. Are we saying it's perfect and beyond refinement?

-- 

Chris

1 hour ago, bidmead said:

I didn't come here to pick a fight. But happy to be piled on by the occupants here if that's the style of discourse. It's a kind of welcome, I suppose.

I dont see anyone piling on. As an outside observer, I see a single question was asked. I do not see any answers provided to the question. In order to have improvements, one has to know what and how it can be improved.

May I suggest as a neutral observer, that you stop reading intent and other malicious actions into the simple single question, when they simply do not exist.

Highcharts.com renders the charts and I'm passing in a large number and that's how it's translating the number. I can override the suffix but then it outputs the entire number. Highcharts understands numbers, it doesn't understand drive capacity numbers.

That said, if you hover over a point where I do specify the value to display, it says MB and GB.

Many thanks for that, John. I didn't know about Highcharts. That's very useful enlightenment.

My comments here have been largely a knee-jerk reaction conditioned by flying chalk incidents in boyhood. I apologise if I've raised a hackle or two.

I still think Mr Creighton has an indelibly valid point. But at the next seance I shall tell him to calm down.

-- 

Chris

I'm getting this error in the DriveSpeed logs:

"ERROR","127.0.0.1-startStop-1","11/03/2020","10:33:53","","load-extension;Extension [15mcbgnnccbzf.lex] was not found at [/opt/lucee/server/lucee-server/context/extensions/installed/15mcbgnnccbzf.lex];lucee.runtime.exp.ApplicationException: Extension [15mcbgnnccbzf.lex] was not found at [/opt/lucee/server/lucee-server/context/extensions/installed/15mcbgnnccbzf.lex]

Can anyone throw light on this?

-- 

Chris

13 hours ago, bidmead said:

I'm getting this error in the DriveSpeed logs:

"ERROR","127.0.0.1-startStop-1","11/03/2020","10:33:53","","load-extension;Extension [15mcbgnnccbzf.lex] was not found at [/opt/lucee/server/lucee-server/context/extensions/installed/15mcbgnnccbzf.lex];lucee.runtime.exp.ApplicationException: Extension [15mcbgnnccbzf.lex] was not found at [/opt/lucee/server/lucee-server/context/extensions/installed/15mcbgnnccbzf.lex]

Can anyone throw light on this?

-- 

Chris

I'll look into it but you can ignore it. It's a lucee extension that I'm not using but it's trying to load.

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect this is an issue with my system, and not with this container, but I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction here.

I've had issues with very slow writes to my array (sub 1MB/s) at first I thought it was just the type of writes, lots of very small files with another CA docker container (urbackup).  But after nuking all its shares and existing backup data and starting over thinking there was a config issue with that backup app, I decided to run this speed benchmark to check all the drives.

I have 24x 3.5" drives in the 2TB and 6TB range in the array.  When I start the bench mark it seem to keep getting "stuck" testing Disk 3 (sdp).

Most tests took in the range of a few min (maybe 5?) but this drives has been stuck at 36% for over half an hour.  I don't see any reads on the main tab on that drive being reported.  if I reopen the webui it goes back to the main page where I can start another benchmark.  Doing so seems to hang up in the same spot.

I've attached the diag from the main page below.  

diskspeed_20201118_182405.tar.gz

I'm afraid I have a bad drive or something and worse if thats the case that Unraid hasn't given me any warning about it.

*edit* To rule out as many background processes and disk i/o as possible I stopped all of my other Docker containers and VMs (well 2 of the 4 vms I actually paused but that shouldn't make a difference in this case I don't think).

Edited by snowmirage
2 hours ago, snowmirage said:

Most tests took in the range of a few min (maybe 5?) but this drives has been stuck at 36% for over half an hour. 

Click on the Benchmark button on the main page and uncheck "Check all drives", set the checkbox for Disk 3, and set the checkbox for "Disable Speed Gap detection".

If you frequently get a "retrying" on a spot, its because the min/max speeds at that spot were over a certain threshold and it is retrying that spot again after increasing that threshold by 5mb. Setting the Disable Speed Gap button disables this retry feature. This gap between the min/max speeds is typically caused by some other process accessing the drive at the same time but it can also be caused by a bad spot. I plan on adding a cap to the number of retries.

The newest version of this app also displays the SMART information for the drive which by default displays only catastrophic drive health values. Take a screen shot of that and post it. If it's not displaying it, then there's something wrong with the smart report as it gets it from UNRAID and UNRAID isn't saving it. View the drive info on the unraid Main tab to get the smart values.

11 hours ago, jbartlett said:

Click on the Benchmark button on the main page and uncheck "Check all drives", set the checkbox for Disk 3, and set the checkbox for "Disable Speed Gap detection".

If you frequently get a "retrying" on a spot, its because the min/max speeds at that spot were over a certain threshold and it is retrying that spot again after increasing that threshold by 5mb. Setting the Disable Speed Gap button disables this retry feature. This gap between the min/max speeds is typically caused by some other process accessing the drive at the same time but it can also be caused by a bad spot. I plan on adding a cap to the number of retries.

The newest version of this app also displays the SMART information for the drive which by default displays only catastrophic drive health values. Take a screen shot of that and post it. If it's not displaying it, then there's something wrong with the smart report as it gets it from UNRAID and UNRAID isn't saving it. View the drive info on the unraid Main tab to get the smart values.

That seems to have done it.  Test for that drive finished following your suggestions.

image.thumb.png.2625ad4666f8edcbd3fbb4c70c6707c9.pngimage.png.cb0f755100f0c2182df0710c770910c9.pngimage.thumb.png.7a87a3e7fcda322320a046bb70ede6ec.png

To be honest I haven't looked at a SMART report closely in years and need to go refresh my memory on what "bad" really looks like.  

Nothing looks wrong with the drive from these reports. A future update will add heat map support where the entire drive is read and the read speeds are represented in a color range. This might help see hidden trouble spots. That update is probably a couple months away though. Right now, I'm working on adding drive allocation & fragmentation maps which the heat maps will use to locate which files are contained in found bad spots.

One thing you can try is to run a benchmark as given above but test the drive every 1%.

Edited by jbartlett
3 hours ago, jbartlett said:

Nothing looks wrong with the drive from these reports. A future update will add heat map support where the entire drive is read and the read speeds are represented in a color range. This might help see hidden trouble spots. That update is probably a couple months away though. Right now, I'm working on adding drive allocation & fragmentation maps which the heat maps will use to locate which files are contained in found bad spots.

One thing you can try is to run a benchmark as given above but test the drive every 1%.

That would be pretty slick I look forward to testing it out.

Since your advice yesterday I've been going back through and trying to test all the drives.

I've found several that are getting that "speed gap" notice.

I've tried a few times now to test them with "Disable speed gap detection" checked and I still see reads start 90-100+ drop to 60-70 then repeated "retries" even when I have that disable speed gap detection checked.

I did some checking on the model number. It's a White Label drive which means it's likely a specific drive built for a specific purpose and rebranded. It looks a Western Digital drive. Personally, I kinda cringed when I saw it was a WL.

Here's a long tread about the drives for your perusal. I only read the 1st page.

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/review-of-white-label-4tb-drives.3559/

• jbartlett changed the title to DiskSpeed, hdd/ssd benchmarking (unRAID 6+), version 2.10.7