DiskSpeed, hard drive benchmarking (unRAID 6+), version 2.9.2

On 6/29/2022 at 1:44 PM, FlyAg said:

I'm going to double check the cabling on that slot and also try a different slot. I'm glad I found this tool because I don't think I would have ever detected this otherwise!

I believe that backplane I had was faulty. I had to get a new backplane anyway and now everything works well

• Thanks 1

When I run controller benchmarks everything runs fine. When I try to benchmark my drives I get repeated speed gap errors where the benchmarking never complete, even though I disabled Speed Gap detection. I've tried this in Firefox and Chrome. I've re-installed the plugin. I've tried this plugin a couple years ago  and had this Speed Gap issue, I still have this issue. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your consideration!

-Jason

13 hours ago, jasonwert said:

When I run controller benchmarks everything runs fine. When I try to benchmark my drives I get repeated speed gap errors where the benchmarking never complete, even though I disabled Speed Gap detection. I've tried this in Firefox and Chrome. I've re-installed the plugin. I've tried this plugin a couple years ago  and had this Speed Gap issue, I still have this issue. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your consideration!

-Jason

The controller benchmark doesn't check for abnormal reads but does warn of a potentially invalid test result where single-drive read over 15 seconds was quite a bit less than the all-drive benchmark for 15 seconds. The benchmark checks the min & max data read per second looking for a gap over a given MB/sec which is a sign of other processes accessing the drive during the test.

If you're sure no other processes are accessing the drives (watching the Main tab in Unraid looking for read/write counter increments while not benchmarking will indicate if there is or not), how is your system laid out? A screen shot of the System Bus Tree from the app will suffice.

Another thing you can try is to kick off a manual benchmark of 2 or more drives and then click the hidden link on the period at the end of "Click on a drive label to hide or show it." This will make visible the hidden iframes that are performing all the work behind the scenes and you can see additional information in the logs displayed that might give a hint.

On 6/13/2022 at 7:26 PM, jbartlett said:

Click on the DiskSpeed Docker icon and open a console window.

Copy-n-paste the following command after verifying your parity drive is still sdp and change it here if it is different.

dd if=/dev/sdp of=/dev/null bs=1310720 skip=0 iflag=direct status=progress conv=noerror

You should see it starting to copy data and updating every second with the progress. The MB/s value should quickly settle down with a typical 2-3 MB variance from one second to the next. When you press CTRL-C to abort (or let it read the entire drive), it should report something like the following:

2081423360 bytes (2.1 GB, 1.9 GiB) copied, 9.00526 s, 231 MB/s^C
1655+0 records in
1654+0 records out
2167930880 bytes (2.2 GB, 2.0 GiB) copied, 9.40043 s, 231 MB/s

On 6/13/2022 at 8:33 PM, jbartlett said:

Go to the tools page in UNRAID and click on the System Devices icon. Find your storage card and take note of the domain ID. It'll look something like "07:00.0" and be listed after the two hex numbers in brackets. Open a console window and enter replacing the domain id with your value.

lspci -vv -s 07:00.0

Look for lines starting with "LnkCap" and "LnkSta" that report a speed & width. Please copy-n-paste the results here.

On 6/13/2022 at 8:42 PM, JorgeB said:

It's reporting the controller link speed, PCIe 1.0 x4 is correct for a SASLP

I hate it when people try to help me and I seemingly ignore them. I read your answers but I had to be away for >1 month. When I came back, 1 HDD was dead so I first had to replace it. Now the problem has disappeared for some reason.

Thanks for your input and know that i did not ignore your input (at least intentionally)...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have always had problems finishing the diskspeed benchmark to find which drive is going slow..  Is there a way to just benchmark a specified number of drives at a time?  I can't do another test for a while since i have a parity check going.. which has been getting really slow for an unknown reason..  But i will try one in a few days.  Right now i am not even starting any dockers because i don't want to interfere with the parity check. 

2 hours ago, FrozenGamer said:

I have always had problems finishing the diskspeed benchmark to find which drive is going slow..  Is there a way to just benchmark a specified number of drives at a time?  I can't do another test for a while since i have a parity check going.. which has been getting really slow for an unknown reason..  But i will try one in a few days.  Right now i am not even starting any dockers because i don't want to interfere with the parity check. 

When you first pull up the app or click on the "DiskSpeed" label at the top of any page, it should display a "Benchmark Drives" button. That in turn will display a Benchmark page where you can optionally select which drives you want to test. By default, it starts with all drives but if you uncheck the "Check all drives" checkbox, all your drives will be listed for individual selection.

• 2 weeks later...

I have identified a problem.   I told it to choose disk 2 (sdab) and it is doing another disk which is not 8tb but 10.  then it gets stuck at 90% every time..

SAS2308 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2: Scanning Disk 2 (sdab) at 8 TB   90%

It appears to continue to read at 133mb/s so i assume that isn't the slow disk, if i have one.  Seems to be continuing long enough that it isn't going to stop.

2 hours ago, FrozenGamer said:

I have identified a problem.   I told it to choose disk 2 (sdab) and it is doing another disk which is not 8tb but 10.  then it gets stuck at 90% every time..

SAS2308 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2: Scanning Disk 2 (sdab) at 8 TB   90%

It appears to continue to read at 133mb/s so i assume that isn't the slow disk, if i have one.  Seems to be continuing long enough that it isn't going to stop.

It looks like you have more than 26 drives attached. Can you submit a debug file using the "Create Debug File" at the bottom of the page? You do not need the Controller Info item.

Hello! Just found this plugin and it looks super helpful. Unfortunately it seems to be erroring out on my cache drive during setup? 

Steps to Reproduce (on my system):

1. Install DiskSpeed from CA

2. Open WebGUI

3. See error after it reaches one of my cache drives (Crucial MX500): 15:20:09 Found drive Crucial CT2000MX500SSD1 Rev: M3CR043 Serial: 2210E6168449 (sdb), 1 partition

Error:

Lucee 5.2.9.31 Error (expression)

Messageinvalid call of the function listGetAt, second Argument (posNumber) is invalid, invalid string list index [2]

patternlistgetat(list:string, position:number, [delimiters:string, [includeEmptyFields:boolean]]):string

StacktraceThe Error Occurred in
/var/www/ScanControllers.cfm: line 1733

1731: <CFSET NR=i-2>
1732: <CFSET Part.Partitions[NR].PartNo=ListGetAt(CurrLine,1,":",true)>
1733: <CFSET Part.Partitions[NR].Start=Val(ListGetAt(CurrLine,2,":",true))>
1734: <CFSET Part.Partitions[NR].End=Val(ListGetAt(CurrLine,3,":",true))>
1735: <CFSET Part.Partitions[NR].Size=Val(ListGetAt(CurrLine,4,":",true))>

called from /var/www/ScanControllers.cfm: line 1643

1641: </CFIF>
1642: </CFLOOP>
1643: </CFLOOP>
1644:
1645: <!--- Admin drive creation --->

Diagnostic File: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xC5YkGH1ZNy0DiTBN008npWPYKZJn9RP/view?usp=sharing

Edited by berta123