best offsite backup solution atm

10 hours ago, nuhll said:

Any suggestions? :(

Duplicati docker backing up to an Amazon S3 account.

That is likely what I will be doing for all my computers for an "offsite backup" replacement (had Crashplan Home).

My next step is a Minio serice running on my server and then backing up via Duplicati to that to get full backups in 2 different locations.

1 hour ago, CrashnBrn said:

I actually just set up my backblack b2 backup yesterday (moving from crashplan). You have to use a docker like duplicati or rclone to backup to: backblaze, S3, or similar.

Okay, Backplaze seem to be 40 usd per 8tb, am i correct?! (if i dont download anything)

Is there anything cheaper?

I use google G suite.  Yes, it's supposed to be limited to 1 TB per user until 5 users (at which point you get unlimited), but I rolled the dice and am getting unlimited at the moment.  I've got 14+TB stored.  I use rclone to run a daily script and sync the folders I want (and encrypt my media to avoid prying google eyes).

G suite is $10/month (per user - I only have one user set up).

Edited by statecowboy

I have several questions. Is it realistic to store/backup all my files to a cloud service? I have around 30TB. I have a typical home cable company ISP account.

if I have a plex server, can one point it to this cloud service for the media? Is it smart to store the files there?

Which service will allow this amount of storage and not be some corporate account type cost?

thanks,

h.

On 4/8/2018 at 5:27 AM, hernandito said:

I have several questions. Is it realistic to store/backup all my files to a cloud service? I have around 30TB. I have a typical home cable company ISP account.

if I have a plex server, can one point it to this cloud service for the media? Is it smart to store the files there?

Which service will allow this amount of storage and not be some corporate account type cost?

thanks,

h.

I was going to try and answer your question about pointing your plex server to cloud based files, but deleted it because I'm not sure what the current answer is (obviously there is plex cloud, but I dont think that's what you're after).  That said, I've heard that google runs hash checks against known pirated copies of material out there, so if you're media are all legit copies of content you own you should be set to at least run plex cloud.  If it's not I don't think it would be a good idea.  I honestly don't see a lot of value in running plex cloud in the first place.  I suppose it does allow you to rely on cloud providers' servers to power your plex experience, but at the end of the day it's far less powerful than running your own and (tinfoil hat going on) it gives cloud providers a pretty in depth look at your content and habits.  I'm solely using my cloud backup as just that, a backup.  

10 hours ago, statecowboy said:

I was going to try and answer your question about pointing your plex server to cloud based files, but deleted it because I'm not sure what the current answer is (obviously there is plex cloud, but I dont think that's what you're after).  That said, I've heard that google runs hash checks against known pirated copies of material out there, so if you're media are all legit copies of content you own you should be set to at least run plex cloud.  If it's not I don't think it would be a good idea.  I honestly don't see a lot of value in running plex cloud in the first place.  I suppose it does allow you to rely on cloud providers' servers to power your plex experience, but at the end of the day it's far less powerful than running your own and (tinfoil hat going on) it gives cloud providers a pretty in depth look at your content and habits.  I'm solely using my cloud backup as just that, a backup.  

It was a far fetched idea.  Thanks for you feedback!