Fractal Design R5 Adding 3x2 HDD Cage

I'm planning on getting a Fractal Design R5 case and adding a 3 in 2 HDD cage (Icey Dock or Istar) in the two 5.25  top drive enclosures.  Anyone have this case and is there any problem with doing this?  I want to use 11 drive (7 data 2 parity and 2 cache.)  Also, I'm leaning on getting the iStar Cage (iStarUSA BPN-DE230SS-BLUE 2 x 5.25" to 3 x 3.5" SAS / SATA Trayless Hot-Swap Cage) vs the Icy Dock (ICY DOCK FatCage MB153SP-B 3 x 3.5 Inch HDD in 2 x 5.25 Inch Bay Hot Swap SATA 6Gbps HDD Rack/ Cage/ Module.)  Any thoughts on these cages?

Edited by Woodpusherghd
  • 7 months later...

Hey @Woodpusherghd , now that you've been running this for a while what is your experience in terms of its impact on the temperature of your server? 

For context, I also have a Fractal Define R5 with a mini-ITX motherboard and a Dell Perc H310 Controller installed, 9x3.5" HDDs, 1x2.5" SSD, and 2x140mm fans in front and 1x140mm fan in the rear. I currently have 1 HHD installed in one of the 5.25" bays, but I want to add a couple more drives, so I'm thinking of installing an iStar 3x2 Hot-Swap Cage.

Thanks!

Edited by zandrsn
updated

I have 3 HDDs in the iStar Cage. I have  2 fans in the front of the R5 case and 1 on the top of the case.  The rest of the bays are fully populated with HDDs and I have 2 SSDs mounted in the side brackets.  The temps seem ok to me. Generally the HDDs are 25 to 35 C depending on the load and the season. I live in NYC and have to crank up the AC in the Summer.