Suggestion for a new lowpower/silent build

Hi guys, i'm planning for my birthday to gift myself a new lowpower and silent system :)  No vm, only the good old unraid with dockers. I want hevc hardware transcoding for being a little future proof so i think ryzen is out.

I'm planning an i3 8100 cpu with 8gb ddr4 ram (too expensive now to buy more)...but as a motherboard ? I need at least 6 sata and i prefer intel gigabit ethernet. 

A silent psu ?

How silent is the stock intel heatsink under very low load ?

Thanks

A.

I think the larger the fan the quieter the build will get, till you get into the industrial steel fans where things will shift into noise. ^_^

Go with noctua fans and coolers or BeQuite products, also a high efficiency PSU is alway quite and a sound dampened case is recommended.

I have 2 builds and they have all of the above.

I just changed over to the setup in my signature - i5-8400, Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming board.  Heatsink is a Arctic Freezer 13 CO, which I have set to have the fan stopped in normal use using Q-Fan in the board's BIOS.  All case/drive cooling is via two 140mm Corsair ML140 fans in the front of the Define R5 case.  PSU is a very over-kill Corsair RM750, but it does have a fan that only runs at high load.

Its basically silent, and idles around 25W.

I was running a Ryzen 5 1600, with the stock cooler and it was quiet and fast too, just used nearly 80W of power idling - possibly due to having to disable C-states to make it not crash. 

• Like 1