Add Drive to Array Aborted, how to proceed

Hi,

After successfully upgrading my old and previously healthy 4Tb Parity Disk to a new 8Tb Disk and converting my entire array to XFS, I attempted to add the now Unassigned old 4Tb to the Array as additional storage (after re-checking Parity which showed 0 errors). However, the Process Aborted shortly after starting and now I am left with the old Parity Drive (Drive 5) having a Blue Square beside it.

Could someone please take a look at my Diagnostics file(s) and advise me how to proceed to either fix and add the drive to the array or remove it without harming Parity.

See link for Diagnostics http://users.on.net/~jilbo/watchtower-diagnostics-20180404-1845.zip (posted from iPad)

Background info.

The old Parity Disk in question was removed from its original hot-plug bay of my Microserver and reinstalled connected to a PCIe SATA card as part of the upgrade process. The first time I booted with the old Parity connected it was not available as an Unassigned Device (could only be seen by output of ls -l /dev/disk/by-id). It was only after shutting down and re-checking cabling that it appeared as an Unassigned Device. I suspect it may have been due to a loose connection to the PCIe card, as the card is definitely working - with Disk 4 in my array successfully connected to the other port.

As Drive 5 was not yet part of the Array and still showing as Unassigned, I was able to stop the Array and change Drive 5 to No Device. When I restarted the Array, Parity was still displayed as valid. Hopefully I don't have any Parity issues with the drive removed from the array before being successfully added.

On checking the System Log I was getting constant errors as the system tried to spin this drive down. Once it was as Unassigned, it was still throwing errors into the Log. I have been advised by a helpful forum member that the Marvell controller on my SATA card is notorious for dropping disks, and still suspect dodgy cabling, so I have unplugged this drive from my server until I can source and now PCIe SATA card and cable.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to give a huge thanks to johnnie.black for the advice.

I ordered a replacement PCIe SATA card (this time using an ASMedia chipset), installed it over the weekend, and now all drives are successfully recognised.

I have just completed a Preclear and Parity check successfully, and old Parity has now been added to the Array.

Thanks again for the expert advice.