UNRAID v6.5.0 freezing on most disk operations

Hello - I'm having the following issue with UNRAID version 6.5.0:

I am able to run UNRAID just fine, and access the web interface locally and remotely. However, any operation that interacts with the hard drives causes the same symptom - the system hard locks, the cursor freezes and the machine is entirely unresponsive (via the web interface and via SSH).

Initially I saw this when setting two 2TB drives as parity drives, with the two 1TB drives in the array (the goal being to add more drives to the array once I have the config nailed down). After around 3 hours into the 4 hour operation of syncing parity, the system froze.

I have tried several hard drive configurations, and all end in the same result - the system runs without issue indefinitely, but any operation involving the drives results in a freeze.

I have tried the following:

- copying files to the system via SMB (results in a freeze very quickly, between 10 - 400mb of the copy).
- ruling out SMB by SSH'ing into the box and running the `dd` command to generate a 2GB image file (results in an immediate freeze).
- Running MemTest for 48 hours
- Running UEFI BIOS level diagnostics (which passed with the exception of a warning about the SAS controller not being present or connected - I'm using a SATA controller for the drives)

- I have run `tail -f /var/log/syslog` and nothing appears before (or obviously after) the system freezes

In an attempt to completely rule out hardware, I installed Ubuntu on one of the 1TB drives, shared the remaining 3 drives via SMB and was able to successfully create and copy files to all 4 drives without issue.

In Fix Common Problems there is a warning about CPU possibly not throttling down at idle, however I have monitored RAM and CPU usage during disk operations and I don't believe this is a resource issue.

Hopefully I have posted enough information, if not I will provide anything requested. Many thanks in advance!

Hardware: Dell T310 PowerEdge
Memory: 4GB RAM (2 x 2GB DIMMS)
Hard drives: 2 x 2TB, 2 x 1TB
PCIe NIC (onboard dual NICs disabled)

tower-diagnostics-20180403-1758.zip

Edited by Alkapwn

I have seen the format option after rebuilding the array, and I have tried checking this (or leaving it unchecked) and the system still freezes during the parity sync. Early on the drives were formatted, but I haven't formatted every time I've tried a troubleshooting step or rebuilt the array (the drives do not contain any actual data).

Edit: To be clear, that diagnostic dump was from shortly after rebuilding the array, during parity sync - I can't post a syslog because of the freeze, and I wasn't sure if there was a "perfect" time to do the diagnostic dump.

Edited by Alkapwn

I have tried a couple of different configurations - one 2tb as parity, leaving out the 1tbs, and the freezing does not appear to be linked to a specific configuration of drives in parity or the array. Either way, in my experience it is pretty rare for one kind of array configuration to take down the entire system (although I'm not sure exactly how UNRAID might handle different setups).

It's a strange issue, likely hardware related, if not a problem some incompatibly, you could try removing as much variables as possible, i.e., assign a single data disk connected to one of the onboard SATA ports, no parity, and try to format it, if that still fails you'll likely need different hardware.

I had tried a couple of disk configurations, but I just rebuilt the array with only a single 2tb drive with no parity - the system froze immediately after issuing a command the generate a file on the share. I'm going to try with a couple of different disks.

EDIT: I see the same result regardless of which drive I use - single drive, no parity, formatted by UNRAID. A second or two after I issue the `dd` command via ssh, the server freezes.

Edited by Alkapwn
added next steps.