unRAID Server Release 5.0-beta2 Available

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It has to scan all your disks and change all the permissions.  Be patient.  Do not reboot.

Do you think that 96 hours (4 days) for 660 gigs of data is long enough (I do not know how many files).  I still cannot gain access to the GUI, ping the tower, or gain access via the towers monitor.  It has 6 drives including the cache drive (1tb Parity drive 1, 1tb drive 2, 1tb drive 3, 750gb drive 4 500gb drive 5, and 500gb cache drive 6), but only two drives (drive 2 and 3) currently have data which totals out to  660gb.

If I still need to wait, how much more time should I give it?

Thanks for any help on this.

Agreed, you and any new users coming into unRAID need to get uesed to it.

The "company" is a guy in his garage. He takes long breaks and the pace of development is slow. Not hearing anything for 6 months or so is pretty par for the course (in my experience of 5 years).

Too bad as an innovator could have radically changed the landscape.

Yes, i certainly need to get used to it. I'm used to very active developers. Go visit the freeNAS IRC channel or the Amahi IRC channel very active places. Also onto the Clearfoundation forum they answer your question. Over-here it is something different. Yes, the community is active, but very little response of the developer.

I asked Limetech in a mail to be a bit more transparent in whats going on. I didn't get any response. Also my request in this thread no response. Probably he has reasons no time or whatever, but i think it is a good thing to inform your community. They are your customers.

I think Limetech has a great product, but a product always need development. You have to introduce new features, goodies. Is Limetech not afraid for competitors? Like FreeNAS, Openmediavault, Flexraid, Eon ZFS storage, Openfiler, NexentaSTOR probably there are more out there.

Certainly i have no problems with waiting for features, and i rather wait longer for a good realease. Just tell the community whats going on. Maybe the Limetech site need a wish list and a roadmap. A thought i have about it.

Just notice this morning there is answer in a other topic.

Yes, 5.0 development continues, with 5.0-beta3.  After a period of testing, this -beta3 will become 5.0-final, and I will introduce 5.1-beta1 which is updated with the latest slackware and linux kernel.  It is necessary to update the tool chain and a number of packages in order to properly support AFP which is the #1 development priority.

Thanks Limetech for the update. Appreciated.

4 days is plenty long enough.

Something has cause the server to lock up.  You are more than likely going to need to hard shutdown the server and restart.

Thanks...  I did a hard shut down, and restarted.  i waited for it to complete a parity check and then I tried the "New Permissions" start button again.  It seems it did not lock up this time and I can browse all the pages of the GUI.  Is there anything in the Syslog that will indicate that Unraid completed the permission changes to all the files?  How do you know it is done?  Does the "start" button under the "New Permissions" get grayed out, or does it change to "completed"

Yes there is.

Click on each "disk" on the main panel, then under CIFS Export option select "No".

Thanks!

Well there is an option I would like in a new (beta) version: set the options ALL disk shares at ONCE (like the spin down option per drive 'use default')

That's exactly how the 4.5 series works - one export setting that applies to all disks.  I understand why the new feature of changing the export setting per disk is nice, but I'm surprised that the global on/off button is gone.

FYI Flexraid, support is pretty much the same if not less....  Flexraid originally came out just a little bit after unraid, progress I don't think is nearly at the unraid level.  That dev also "disappears" for a while too.

Good thing about unraid... you just don't need to touch it very often.    Beware of the upgrade monster!  Most times its not needed.  I haven't really touched my unraid setup in close to a year, well besides replacing bad drives which only took a few minutes.

Something has cause the server to lock up.  You are more than likely going to need to hard shutdown the server and restart.

Thanks...  I did a hard shut down, and restarted.  i waited for it to complete a parity check and then I tried the "New Permissions" start button again.  It seems it did not lock up this time and I can browse all the pages of the GUI.  Is there anything in the Syslog that will indicate that Unraid completed the permission changes to all the files?  How do you know it is done?  Does the "start" button under the "New Permissions" get grayed out, or does it change to "completed"

Still not sure that the Permissions were reset.  I tried again, and it locked up again.  Any suggestons?

I'm trying to get a 8 port SAS controller (LSI SAS3081E-S) working with unraid, and apparently there's a problem somewhere.  When assigning the drives, you see the model & serial and all the data, but when you assign them, and go back to the main page, you get a _ as the device name, and no temperature data.  Everything appears to work (you can use the system, set shares, etc), but if you were to in-advertantly switch a cable, Unraid doesn't appear to notice that the drives aren't in the correct order anymore, and happily try to start the array.

I'm not sure if it's a bug with Linux, or a bug in the Unraid software somewhere, but I'm attaching my log (from 5.0b2) & some screenshots (they shots are from the latest stable version, but the data looks exactly the same in 5).

unraid1.png.c6dca43f2d5dde96c1ac4e7d6ed09a3e.png

unraid2.png.dd59900f8b59b08390cf15f0829e4e3b.png

syslog.txt

Hi!

Due to the fact that I discovered some problems using NFS/FTP in my network I considered upgrading to the last beta. Yes I know...it's beta software but I don't want to loose the data on my array. Can anybody say how reliable Beta2 is...at least for a beta version?

Thanks.

Bye.

Hi!

Due to the fact that I discovered some problems using NFS/FTP in my network I considered upgrading to the last beta. Yes I know...it's beta software but I don't want to loose the data on my array. Can anybody say how reliable Beta2 is...at least for a beta version?

Thanks.

Bye.

FTP is not working in 5.0 beta2. I have trouble to setup NFS shares. The release info says the feature is working, but i can't confirm this. I encountered some more minor bugs.

FTP is not working in 5.0 beta2. I have trouble to setup NFS shares. The release info says the feature is working, but i can't confirm this. I encountered some more minor bugs.

FTP on 5.0b2 is working just fine for me.  If i use WinSCP for sftp into my server I do not have a problem doing so. I can see my files and copy them across just fine.

As for NFS, that I am not sure about on my machine.  I have not bothered to set it up and check, but my guess is that it works fine also.  I don't know enough about setting up NFS but you probably have a configuration issue that is stopping it from working for you.

FTP on 5.0b2 is working just fine for me.  If i use WinSCP for sftp into my server I do not have a problem doing so. I can see my files and copy them across just fine.

As for NFS, that I am not sure about on my machine.  I have not bothered to set it up and check, but my guess is that it works fine also.  I don't know enough about setting up NFS but you probably have a configuration issue that is stopping it from working for you.

About FTP the web config says coming soon. So i have not looked further.

About NFS its probably a configuration problem, but i know a guy who has the same problems. I had no issues setting this up with 4.5.6.

For the most part I'm very positive about version 5.0 beta 2 although i love to see more features.  :)

Hi!

I still have these issues with FTP/NFS. I think maybe something went wrong during the creation of the USB drive for unRAID. Hm. Is it possible to delete the flash drive and install V5 Beta2 completely new without loosing my share on the array? Can I get it back when I start a fresh install on the USB flash drive?

Bye.

Still not sure that the Permissions were reset.  I tried again, and it locked up again.  Any suggestons?

I took a picutre of the info on the screen prior to doing a hard shut down.  I am also attaching the syslog that I saved prior to clicking the "start" button under "New Permissions"  If any one can shed some light on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

DSCF42189.jpg.512ee8d9242be26020d204a0d679a53c.jpg

11-3-10_1436pmsyslog_PART-1.txt

11-3-10_1436pm_syslog_PART-2.txt

4.5 went to B-13, at this rate 5.0 will not be final for 2-3 years (Maybe longer!) if it also takes 13 betas.

Negative.. Tom mentioned (on Nov 1st) that beta-3 will actually be 5.0 "final", and he will start working on 5.1. It's unclear however if 5.0 "final" will include AFP support or if this is scheduled for 5.1 (his comment is a bit vague).

I would expect 5.0 final before the end of year (fingers crossed