unRAID Server Release 5.0-beta2 Available


limetech

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmm..does anyone else come here a couple of times a day to check to see if a new build is available or if there is news from Limetech on when it will be?

 

It would be useful to have a subscription to some kind of 'update newsletter' which tells us when releases are scheduled. I know i could subscribe to this thread, but that doesnt really accomplish the same thing as people post here for other things and bug reports etc.

 

just a thought?

 

 

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

So with all the work restarted on 4.6, does this mean that 5.0 has been abandoned for the foreseeable future?

 

No, Tom wanted to fix a kernel bug but in the process broke some addon's developed by the community.  He is going through some releases now and is hoping to bring back compatibility for all the addon's that are currently available from the community.

 

For the 5.0 series he is probably going to break a lot of addon's and users are going to have to deal with that.

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

First let me say I am a Linux noob...  Lucky for me I read through the forums and blogs and work my way through unRaid.  I do love the product and so far my 4.6 unraid 4.5 tb system works without issue.

 

I would like to upgrade to 5.0 b3 once it comes out, but have some questions if you don't mind.

 

I have a priority drive of 2tb and a 750gb cache drive.  The rest are 1.5 tb wd EAR drives.  I am running SABnzbd 5.x and Sick Beard (got it running by following a blog posting).  If I upgrade to 5.0 b3 will this convert my raid and not allow me to down grade if needed?  Will SABnzbd continue to work or will I need to re-install?

 

Any help would be great.

David

Link to comment

No one knows for sure, as 5.0b3 does not exist yet. But there is no reason to believe that it won't work. In the past, as new versions have come out, compatibility with add-ons has not been affected.

 

Once b3 comes out I'd suggest holding off upgrading for at least a week to let users with test arrays run it through its paces. It will contain the sector 64 change that affects logic at a low level. If history repeats, there will be some issues with the initial release and be corrected in 1 or more betas that come put in rapid succession. Only once all that activity settles down should anyone consider migrating.

 

The longer you wait to update your array the lower the risk. The smarter choice would be to wait for the production release.

Link to comment

Some addons may need to be recompiled as the 5.0beta3 series also features an upgrade of the base distro from Slackware 12.2 to Slackware 13.1 or even Slackware 13.2.

 

One of the large changes between the two at a minimum is the GNU C Library runtime and packages. If you try running the older precompiled addons, they may not start-up depending on what libraries they were linked with. Some may startup and function perfectly fine. It will be on a case-by-case basis.

 

If you don't consider yourself a developer or don't want to get your hands dirty in debugging or troubleshooting, then it's best to wait until the dust settles while the community developers do the heavy lifting.

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

soooo, when an disk fails in 5.2b how do you rebuild it?

 

disk failed

stopped array

powered down

removed hhd

added new hhd

turn on computer

assigned new hhd

clicked start array

 

nothing happens

just says:

Stopped.

Configuration valid.

 

shouldn't there be a rebuild button?

 

thanks

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok Im a noob and I know it was a bad idea, but I upgraded to 5.0 Beta 2 some time ago. I now would like to take advantage of the 4.7 that was released and was wondering if it is easy to down grade. If it is easy and makes since could someone post the steps I would need to do? Thank you guys so much

Link to comment

Yes, it should be soon.

 

As one forum member said it takes 10% of the time to do 90% of the testing and 90% of the time to do 10% of the testing.  It is always the things you find at the end that take the longest to fix.

 

See 90-90 rule for exact quote, but I like my variant better ...

 

The first 90% of the work takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.