(SOLVED) Whenever I turn on my I raid box, it kills my network

I’m having a strange issue. I’m new to unraid and wasn’t having too much difficulty, until today I was working on setting up some VMs and network bridging. And then my network went down. My surface pro tells me it “can’t connect to primary dns server” turning off my unraid box and rebooting my router fixes it. As soon as the unraid box turns on, it goes out again. I can only assume I configured something wrong in network settings and it’s killing my routers dnd functions, but I’ve tried changing settings around and can’t fix it. Any ideas what I messed up here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by eletroguy

This sounds like a layer 2 loop to me. How many connections do you have on the back of your unraid box itself and how many of those are you using? If there are 2, unplug one of them and try again. Otherwise we will have to get into the settings on your VM as far as what you bridged to get it resolved. Something might be bridged in a way that is creating this loop. Something like that can easily take the whole network out. I see this in my job as a network Engineer quite often. Bane of my existence.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the advice! What i ended up doing was plugging my unraid box in to a monitor so i could hit the gui, and just set everything back to automatically managed and it fixed the issue. I think what i accidentally did was assign my unraid box the same IP as my router, and this caused the issue. oops >.<

4 hours ago, eletroguy said:

Thanks for the advice! What i ended up doing was plugging my unraid box in to a monitor so i could hit the gui, and just set everything back to automatically managed and it fixed the issue. I think what i accidentally did was assign my unraid box the same IP as my router, and this caused the issue. oops >.<

Nice! Yeah then you would have your server answer as the default gateway for everything on your network and dropping that traffic because it doesn't know what to do with it. Not a good thing. Hey man, I am a network Engineer and I have tanked my home network more times than I care to count! I'm glad you got it fixed!

• Like 1