Parity-Sync Speeds

I just upgraded my parity drive from a 3tb to an 8tb, and the parity-sync is running at ~30mb per second. I've read quite a few threads about what speeds should be expected, and I get the feeling this is on the low end. I have 6 drives (1 cache) all connected directly to the motherboard. There's also zero errors shown on the unraid dashboard. 

What's the latest consensus? Is my parity-sync going slow enough that there might be an issue?

Average CPU usage is less than 10%. Aren't the SATA controllers usually determined by the chipset (H97 in this case), unless there's extras put on by the manufacturer? Not sure I've ever seen a motherboard spec say anything other than SATA 6Gb/s.

With file servers we're not talking about integrated chipsets. We're talking about drive controllers.

Addon cards that do nothing but control the drives.

Since you're using unraid can you give us a screenshot of usage while you're rebuilding parity? (system stats, cpu, network, drives and memory?) It'd help give us an approximation of what's the holdup/slowdown. Maybe wait 15/20 minutes before you take the screen shot.

***edit

I mean a screenshot of systemstats plugin

Edited by dimaestro

Since you just replace 3TB drive by 8TB drive, that shouldn't problem cause by old hardware, usually just 2 thing would cause the problem.

1. The performance of the new drive

2. Any other read ( or write ) operation in same time during parity sync.

As @Squid suggest, attach diagnostics result file will got most answer.

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/37579-need-help-read-me-first/

[For unRAID v6.0-rc4 or later] If networking is working, browse to the unRAID webGui, go to the Tools tab, click on the Diagnostics icon, then click on the Download button (Collect button if v6.0).  After the diagnostic data collection is complete, it will save a diagnostics zip file to your computer, to the download location you specify or is configured in your browser.  This zipped file is ready to attach to a forum post.  It contains a copy of your syslog with DOS friendly line endings, copies of SMART reports for all drives present, copies of your system and share config files, and a technical file describing your array, including all of the content on the Main screen. 

Edited by Benson

Here are the system stats screen shots. The interesting thing is my speed is now up to ~95 mb/s now that disk 2 is in standby mode (still no errors). What do you think that means?

disk stats.jpg

system stats.jpg

Edited by Trap

The plugin "Dynamix System Stats app" Storage section showing the total bandwidth usage from all disk.

From the graph, ~100MB/s in yellow were show, that means only writing 100MB/s in array currently, it should means the parity sync alraedy cover all data disk (largest 3TB), and the remaining ( 3TB - 8TB ) still in writing and happen in the new parity drive only.

For 100MB/s speed ( inner track region ), it is normal speed for the WD drive.

Form the diagbostics, it show nothing abnormal.

Edited by Benson