Minio + duplicati (Crashplan Home replacement)

prostuff1

This is curious.

I set all the variables the way suggested in @adoucette's video. I can access the web UI by pointing me browser at: 10.0.0.10:9000 (I used the default port for now). I can log in and create buckets. I can even back-up to them with CloudBerry Backup running on my Mac. Yay!

However, my right-click menu for the new Minio docker app does not have "Web UI" as an option. Any ideas?

image.png.edb8c13ff6b084aa94ab83b926c111c0.png

Edited by ksignorini
17 hours ago, ksignorini said:

This is curious.

I set all the variables the way suggested in @adoucette's video. I can access the web UI by pointing me browser at: 10.0.0.10:9000 (I used the default port for now). I can log in and create buckets. I can even back-up to them with CloudBerry Backup running on my Mac. Yay!

However, my right-click menu for the new Minio docker app does not have "Web UI" as an option. Any ideas?

image.png.edb8c13ff6b084aa94ab83b926c111c0.png

Edit the container. toggle 'Basic view' to 'Advanced view' and fill the field 'WebUI'. You can use vars here. For example: ```http://[IP]:[PORT:9000]/```.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Resurrecting an old thread here.

I had a morning to work on this recently and wanted to post the steps I took to get a couple Minio dockers up and running on unRAID and accessible over https from the internet to allow family members to back up to them using Duplicati.

First, I followed the excellent video guides for setting up Nextcloud and LetsEncrypt with reverse proxy from Spaceinvader One:

How to Setup Nextcloud on unRAID for your Own Personal Cloud Storage

and then

How to Setup and Configure a Reverse Proxy on unRAID with LetsEncrypt & NGINX

Of course, during this setup I forwarded the ports in my router to the unRAID box.

In my particular case, my internet provider, (the aptly named) COX blocks port 80, so I had to use DNS validation for Certbot (using the DNS plugin described here) to get LetsEncrypt certificates by buying a domain name (through a registrar like namecheap), pointing it to CloudFlares name servers, setting up all of my subdomains as CNAMEs in CloudFlare's DNS settings for my domain, and using a dynamic DNS service (dns-o-matic) to point CloudFlare to my IP.

So, after following those two videos above, I had my own domain name, it and subdomains at CloudFlare pointing to my home cable modem's IP, my home router's external 443 port forwarded internally to a port on my unRAID box, LetsEncrypt set up for certificates, LetsEncrypt reverse proxy set up to serve me Nextcloud on a subdomain, and NextCloud (and MariaDB) running. Great.

Now to configure a couple Minio dockers, all I had to do was:

Install Minio docker (instructions above in this thread)

Set the Minio docker onto the custom subnet I had defined using the video instructions referenced above, entering the key and secret key, and defining the port.

2018-09-14_11-17-17.thumb.png.2d4cba0efbde987e2b3b7f2a3d476cd0.png

Then I go into unRAID's mnt/user/appdata/letsencrypt/ngnix/proxy-confs and copy the configuration file I made for nextcloud using the videos above, and save it as a new subdomain for the minio docker.

Note: 1) the subdomain should already be defined by your DNS host (in my case, CloudFlare), 2) should already be listed in the LetsEncrypt settings so that a certificate is generated for it, 3) should be unique, so you could have a few different Minio servers running if you wanted (like one for each family member if you don't want them to see each other's (encrypted) files.

What I end up with is a file named mysubdomain.mydomain.conf that looks like this:

server {
    listen 443 ssl;

#Set this to the subdomain you want to run this Minio app from
    server_name mysubdomain.*;

include /config/nginx/ssl.conf;

client_max_body_size 0;

location / {
        include /config/nginx/proxy.conf;
        resolver 127.0.0.11 valid=30s;
        proxy_max_temp_file_size 2048m;

#Here you set the IP to your unRAID box and to the port this Minio app is on
		proxy_pass http://192.168.100.100:9011;
    }
}

For some reason, I wasn't able to get it to work with "proxy_pass https://" such as works with Nextcloud, but rather had to change that to just http to get it to work for Minio. That said, I still get valid certs to Minio over https from the WAN.

I repeated this by setting up a new subdomain and a new Minio instance for each family member I wanted to allow to back up to my server, so they wouldn't be able to see or delete files from each other's buckets (not that the would).

Then I just configure Duplicati as normal to point to the Minio instance as described in previous posts above.

Hopefully that helps someone.

2 hours ago, adoucette said:

I had my own domain name, it and subdomains at CloudFlare pointing to my home cable modem's IP, my home router's external 443 port forwarded internally to a port on my unRAID box, LetsEncrypt set up for certificates, LetsEncrypt reverse proxy set up to serve me Nextcloud on a subdomain, and NextCloud (and MariaDB) running. Great.

Now to configure a couple Minio dockers

I'm lost. Why did you want to go through setting up Minio when you already had Nextcloud running? Duplicati will back up to nextcloud just fine, and you get quota's and user management in one app instead of dealing with multiple minio instances.

• 1 year later...