[Plugin] Mover Tuning

ca.mover.tuning.png

CA Mover Tuning

A simple little plugin (mainly created for my own purposes) that will let you fine tune the operation of the mover script

• On scheduled runs of mover, only actually move file(s) if the the cache drive is getting full (selectable threshold)
  • On scheduled runs of mover, optionally don't move if a parity check / rebuild is already in progress
  • Ability to completely disable the scheduled runs of mover if so desired (Not sure if there's much demand for this)
  • Manually executed runs of mover ("Move Now" button) can either follow the rules for schedules, or always move all files

After installation (any guesses as to how to install the plugin?), the default settings are set so that there is no difference as to how unRaid normally handles things.

You'll find it's settings within Settings - Scheduler

Edited by Squid
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Nice Job Squid. I really like your plugins and I like how this is/was a User.Plugin morphed into an actual Plugin that makes it really easy to click a few buttons and be done with it, but at the same time we can simply disable the mover without having to hack some code to change the cron. 

Here's a little screen shot with the Help menu enabled so others can check it out. :)

Capture.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks, if possible, I'd like what is possible with the schedule and script combo.

Move nightly everything, but once an hour (or whatever schedule), move files if it's hit a threshold. For when you are copying larger amounts and it would get too full to wait for the nightly move (for example). Unless I interpret it wrong, the plugin threshold option will not ever move if there is usage below the threshold.

Cheers!

19 hours ago, GoChris said:

Thanks, if possible, I'd like what is possible with the schedule and script combo.

Move nightly everything, but once an hour (or whatever schedule), move files if it's hit a threshold. For when you are copying larger amounts and it would get too full to wait for the nightly move (for example). Unless I interpret it wrong, the plugin threshold option will not ever move if there is usage below the threshold.

Cheers!

ok.  I've left the forced move as a pure cron entry as,

1. It's a ton less work, which is a big plus from my point of view :D
  2. If you're very astute, you can set "disable mover schedule", but also enable the forced schedule to allow you the utmost in scheduling flexibility that unRaid won't normally allow you.  (If you're running this plugin, then its flexibility you want, right?)

At the same time, I removed the option for Move Now follows the rules, as it didn't really make much sense in retrospect.

image.thumb.png.f779115d6b7aa18e755d3e47275f6416.png

Edited by Squid

Just want to be sure I'm understanding correctly. 

Currently using the user script to run mover at a percentage in addition to the scheduler running mover daily.

To use the tuning plugin for this I need to-

Disable mover schedule in mover settings.

Disable the user script.

Set a percentage in mover tuning.

Set a force mover cron schedule in mover tuning.

Do I have this right?

2 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Disable mover schedule in mover settings.

Disable the user script.

Set a percentage in mover tuning.

Set a force mover cron schedule in mover tuning.

Nope

You would leave mover running on whatever schedule you want (say every hour).  The rules for when to move are evaluated at that schedule.

If you want to force all the files to move (say once a day) regardless of the rules, then you enable force and set a schedule for it.

Regardless of any rules, hitting Move Now on Array Operations will always move the files.

A Forced schedule only makes sense if its less frequent than the regular mover schedule.

You would also get rid of the user script.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Squid said:

Nope

You would leave mover running on whatever schedule you want (say every hour).  The rules for when to move are evaluated at that schedule.

If you want to force all the files to move (say once a day) regardless of the rules, then you enable force and set a schedule for it.

Regardless of any rules, hitting Move Now on Array Operations will always move the files.

A Forced schedule only makes sense if its less frequent than the regular mover schedule.

You would also get rid of the user script.

Outstanding. Thanks.

Nice. I noticed that the new mover in 6.5.0 is different than it was and in how it worked. There were some annoyances such as 1) It doesn't report when it's done and 2) it thinks it's done when things are moved to the ram, but it may still take a long time to write those bits to the array especially if one has a large amount or ram.

Would this plugin help with either of those?

Thanks

8 minutes ago, aptalca said:

Nice. I noticed that the new mover in 6.5.0 is different than it was and in how it worked. There were some annoyances such as 1) It doesn't report when it's done and 2) it thinks it's done when things are moved to the ram, but it may still take a long time to write those bits to the array especially if one has a large amount or ram.

Would this plugin help with either of those?

Thanks

No and no.  (Although you can turn on my own logging which will state when its going to skip running mover and when it does start it.  No logging on when its done though.

• 3 weeks later...

That'll work.  Every hour it checks.  If the cache drive is 80%+ full, it'll move.   You don't have a force move cron set, so mover will only ever execute when the drive is at that threshhold

BTW, you should disable Mover logging.  No real purpose to it (MoverShedule settings, not Mover Tuning Settings)

1 hour ago, Squid said:

That'll work.  Every hour it checks.  If the cache drive is 80%+ full, it'll move.   You don't have a force move cron set, so mover will only ever execute when the drive is at that threshhold

BTW, you should disable Mover logging.  No real purpose to it (MoverShedule settings, not Mover Tuning Settings)

Great thanks for that!