[Plugin] Mover Tuning

This is user adjustable for all disks and for each disk.

For cache:

Main - Cache Devices - Cache - Cache Settings - Warning (or Critical) Disk Utilization Threshold.

Similarly for each disk.

The default for all disks is at Settings - Disk Settings - Warning (or Critical) Disk Utilization Threshold.

• Like 1

Hi Squid,

up until now I have used a custom script for the following:

- Run mover at 3.30 am to move all movable files

- Run mover script hourly to check if cache is at > 90% used

I want to prevent my cache completely filling up.

I would like to stop using a script for that, but as of now, this is unsupported by the addon, correct?

Would be happy if you considered adding this.

Kind regards

12 hours ago, rix said:

Hi Squid,

up until now I have used a custom script for the following:

- Run mover at 3.30 am to move all movable files

- Run mover script hourly to check if cache is at > 90% used

I want to prevent my cache completely filling up.

I would like to stop using a script for that, but as of now, this is unsupported by the addon, correct?

Would be happy if you considered adding this.

Kind regards

I'm a bit confused, because your scenario is exactly what the plugin does.

lemme try to clear up the confusion.

how would i set this up:

-mover running daily to move all and any files to the array (regardless of space available on the cache)

-mover running hourly to only move all and any files to the array if cache is > 90 % full

i understand the options that setting the 90% limit will also affect the regular daily mover process..

1 hour ago, rix said:

-mover running daily to move all and any files to the array (regardless of space available on the cache)

-mover running hourly to only move all and any files to the array if cache is > 90 % full

Once again, its exactly what it does.

You set mover to run every hour.

In the tuner settings, you tell it to only move at 90%.  And you also tell it to do a force move (via a cron schedule) once per day.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 2:24 AM, nuhll said:

Is it correct set up?

check every hour if >80%, then move. (could that be added to make it every half an hour? Maybe a custom cron tab?)

and force every day 23:55 ?

1.png

Unless your wanting it to run during a Parity check I would change the yes to no on Lines 3 and 6

Otherwise it looks like your having it run no matter what when it hits 80% of Capacity and as well every day at 23:55.

If that's your plan I don't honestly see any mistakes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Simple question, unless I'm missing something:

It looks like with this plug-in enabled, the default daily mover operation gets overridden, correct?

I always thought MT ran in addition to schedule.

For my use-case, I'd like the mover to still run daily, but also have this set to move at x%, just in case the cache gets full from a busy day. I realise I could force this via cron, but then it would also trigger during a parity check, which I would rather not happen.

If I'm missing something obvious, please let me know. Otherwise, would it be possible to include this option in an update?

image.png.b95808c8d0f93e6b6f8ad709f15f2d41.png

Edited by -Daedalus

That was a mighty fast reply!

You're right, of course. I was initially going to say that setting a daily move through cron would mean that the mover would run during a parity check (for some reason I assumed the "don't move during parity" option was only for the x% move), but on reflection, that would be nonsensical.

Dumb-ass satisfied. Carry on.

• 1 month later...

Added in two more tunables:

Priority of the mover process itself (Normal, Low, Very Low) and

I/O priority of the process (Normal, Low, and Idle)

Setting these *may* help with the odd user where the mover process interferes with the normal operation of the GUI / other apps.  Note that if your system pauses all I/O streams if/when a disk is required to spin up that these tunables will not help out all (In which case, do what I did -> adjust Kodi's (eg) caching settings)

• Like 1