Two Bad Drives? Unable to mount one and another has no file system?

Hi,

Last week I had what seemed like a drive failure (Disk 2). The device was missing and I could hear some odd clicking and noises coming from the drive. So I ordered a new drive and an enclosure (to replace the drive, rebuild, and check out the failed one). The enclosure came in and so I took the failed drive out and plugged it into my windows machine and it came up just fine (though I couldn't read it because it is xfs).

I'm waiting on my new drive still but after turning the system back on it can no longer mount another drive (Disk 1) due to "No file system" and it shows that it has some errors. Other than that, it says "Normal operation, Device is active." Maybe my mistake was turning the system back on before getting the new drive... but it was emulating the failed drive (Disk 2) just fine before I changed anything. I'm obviously trying to avoid data lose...

Do I need to order another drive and enclosure in order to clone data over before rebuilding or something? Could it be a cabling issue? I've had a drive come up as missing before when the cable came lose, but that was the first thing I checked when the first drive failed... maybe I bumped one or something? I don't know.. I just want to get it fixed.

Attached the diagnostics zip as well as the smart report for Disk 1, I am running unraid 6.4.0, let me know if I need to add any additional information. Any help is appreciated...

Best,

Jake

hardi-unraid-diagnostics-20180409-2008.zip

hardi-unraid-smart-20180409-2020.zip

Notifications as in the fix common problems plugin? I believe so.

So it sounds like my best bet for not losing data is to try and rebuild one of the two disks if I can get one of them to work long enough... Disk 2 was being emulated so it would probably be better to try to rebuild that one since it may have missed some writes to it. Is that even possible though since I can't even get disk 1 to mount? Can I rebuild disk 1 with missing writes to disk 2? Am I screwed?

7 minutes ago, Jacrushar said:

Notifications as in the fix common problems plugin? I believe so

No.   notifications as under Settings->Notification Settings.    You really want these enabled so that you get told as soon as possible about any disk issues while the system is still in a recoverable state.

• Upvote 1
Notifications as in the fix common problems plugin? I believe so.

No, unRAID system notifications, if they are enable you be notified disk1 is failing.  

So it sounds like my best bet for not losing data is to try and rebuild one of the two disks if I can get one of them to work long enough.

If both disks are failing you're going to lose some data, a little or a lot depends on how bad they are, but maybe disk2 wasn't failing, which one was disk2, was it the 2TB Seagate with serial ending in 3RPE? 

• Like 1

Nevermind.. read itimpi's post and got those turned on.

On looking through disk 2, I have all that data backed up on another drive outside the server. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've changed any of that data so if I could rebuild disk 1 somehow, I don't think I would loses data. Is there a way to get that going?

I have no idea how much of disk 1 is backed up since I can't tell what was on it... but if any of it wasn't backed up, it was probably just movies that I can eventually get again...

Edited by Jacrushar
Just now, johnnie.black said:

you can try re-enabling disk2 to rebuild disk1 but you'd need a spare disk

Awesome, I don't think I'll lose anything then if I can get that working. What are the steps to do that since disk 2 is "not installed" on the array configuration? Is it as simple as assigning the 2TB ST......3RPE disk there and assigning the new drive (when it comes in the mail) to the disk 1 slot and rebuilding? I feel like I may have to trick unraid into doing the rebuild since disk 2 hasn't been installed for a few days.

This only works If nothing was written to the emulated disk2, or besides losing that data there will be corruption on the rebuild disk, if you want to try it follow these carefully:

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply
-Assign any missing disk(s) to restore the array to original config but including the new disk1
-Important - After checking the assignments leave the browser on that page, the "Main" page.

-Open an SSH session/use the console and type:

mdcmd set invalidslot 1 29

-Back on the GUI and without refreshing the page, just start the array, do not check the "parity is already valid" box, disk1 will start rebuilding, disk should mount immediately but if it's unmountable don't format, wait for the rebuild to finish and then run a filesystem check

Keep old disk1 intact in case it's needed.

• Like 1
On 4/10/2018 at 7:20 AM, johnnie.black said:

-Back on the GUI and without refreshing the page, just start the array, do not check the "parity is already valid" box, disk1 will start rebuilding, disk should mount immediately but if it's unmountable don't format, wait for the rebuild to finish and then run a filesystem check

Just finished performing your recommended steps johnnie.black. Looks like disk1 is rebuilding right now! Hopefully it all works out just fine. Once it is done rebuilding, how do I run the filesystem check you mentioned above?

Thanks again for all your help.